Investment at Rosslare Europort

Started by pdnr777, January 06, 2018, 05:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaddyL

To be fair a website for a port isn't that important.

But...

The issue with Rosslare Port is essentially Irish Rail rape the decent income the port generates to subsidise the inefficient rail network.

The port would be much better out of Irish Rail hands, it's only then the other issues will be dealt with.

giftgrub

Quote from: PaddyL on March 24, 2018, 09:09:01 PM

But...

The issue with Rosslare Port is essentially Irish Rail rape the decent income the port generates to subsidise the inefficient rail network.

The port would be much better out of Irish Rail hands, it's only then the other issues will be dealt with.

100% agree but I feel the Ports website shows the level of interest the current management have for the port, At the very least the info provided should be correct.

As a comparison check out Dublin airport website and compare Rosslare port website, both firms provide services in the travel industry (on vastly different levels) one is bang up to date, one is out of date.

PaddyL

Quote from: giftgrub on March 24, 2018, 10:08:22 PM

But...

100% agree but I feel the Ports website shows the level of interest the current management have for the port, At the very least the info provided should be correct.

As a comparison check out Dublin airport website and compare Rosslare port website, both firms provide services in the travel industry (on vastly different levels) one is bang up to date, one is out of date.

I would agree with your first point that the website can illustrate a wider outlook on the business.

I can't accept your second point as an airport website has an entirely different purpose to a port website in that an airport website is very much used by the travelling public and contains very essential travel information.

Steven

Quote from: PaddyL on March 30, 2018, 11:30:04 PM
Quote from: giftgrub on March 24, 2018, 10:08:22 PM

But...

I would agree with your first point that the website can illustrate a wider outlook on the business.

I can't accept your second point as an airport website has an entirely different purpose to a port website in that an airport website is very much used by the travelling public and contains very essential travel information.
I have to say I agree here.  How many passengers check (or even know about the existence of) a ports website?  The Port of Cairnryan website hasn't been updated in at least 5 years (work is expected to start on the new linkspan in January 2013 apparently) and has very little passenger information for instance, yet P&O happen to run a very competent operation there.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

giftgrub

Not going to disagree with anyone as all opinions are valid, I think as it is a multi user port that at the very least the website should be up to date, the level of info that needs to be provided is obviously open for discussion,  however a muggle travelling to a new destination will surely do some googling and maybe want to know about areas near port, parking, facilities available, rail links, nearby accommodation, etc...

They could obviously add boat times, trackers, webcams, freight info and much more.

In other news, was in the port early on Sunday morning and the Welcome to Ireland sign has been cleaned at last ! Hopefully not the last improvement for 2018.

bissiere

good evening to all I took the killian st 2 then normandy oscar wilde etc plus the years pass less the ferry terminal is welcoming for the last time I took stena horizon arrived in rosselare from worse and worse it looks like a ferry terminal to the abandonment

Steven

Quote from: giftgrub on April 03, 2018, 08:27:08 PM
Not going to disagree with anyone as all opinions are valid, I think as it is a multi user port that at the very least the website should be up to date, the level of info that needs to be provided is obviously open for discussion,  however a muggle travelling to a new destination will surely do some googling and maybe want to know about areas near port, parking, facilities available, rail links, nearby accommodation, etc...

They could obviously add boat times, trackers, webcams, freight info and much more.

In other news, was in the port early on Sunday morning and the Welcome to Ireland sign has been cleaned at last ! Hopefully not the last improvement for 2018.

I think most of us would probably agree though that they'd be best concentrating on improving the port itself instead of blowing a load of cash on a website.  Good to hear they've done something.  Hopefully it was actually cleaned and not just "cleaned" by the weather lol
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

ccs

If they updated and kept the existing website up to date that would be a significant improvement.

ccs

Was in Rosslare yesterday and have to say that the terminal looks a lot tidier than on my last visit. The area outside the building has new bedding plants in the pots and the flags flying all look new and fresh. Inside everything looks and smells much fresher and cleaner. The coffee shop was open and the seating are has been upgraded.
I mentioned it to my other half that it looked like the place had been spruced up and she agreed that they'd definitely had some sort of deep clean  ;D

loch garman

Quote from: ccs on April 08, 2018, 10:10:36 AM
Was in Rosslare yesterday and have to say that the terminal looks a lot tidier than on my last visit. The area outside the building has new bedding plants in the pots and the flags flying all look new and fresh. Inside everything looks and smells much fresher and cleaner. The coffee shop was open and the seating are has been upgraded.
I mentioned it to my other half that it looked like the place had been spruced up and she agreed that they'd definitely had some sort of deep clean  ;D

Fair bit of 'local' political pressure....so they are finally spending a few bob painting and putting in new seats etc.

Theres a new manager too so maybe that has helped.

giftgrub

Was in the harbour for a short time on Sunday and looks much better for definite, all signs are now cleaned and flags do look new. This is how it should always be.

Also noticed Irish Rail ! Have taken a billboard opposite the train station/ terminus. The Stena Line billboard also looked refreshed.

Keep up the good work Rosslare, next job is the road surface on the hill, get it redone before the summer.

pdnr777

haven't travelled through the port now for some time but wondered whether there is evidence of improvements made to the port. Also; have not heard anything in the news or via twitter etc as to what improvements or investment in port facilities and infrastructure will be made or whether port is to be privatised

IFPete

The Irish Goverment planned a new port entrance byepassing Rosslare Harbour Village and an upgrade of the N25 to Wexford. When it will be built is anyones guess and with speculation on the future Fishguard and irish ferries services to France one would wonder about future investment.

giftgrub

To be fair the port has been cleaned up, lick of paint where needed,  new speed limit signs at top of the hill, signs cleaned, new flags, flowers, road markings, damaged fencing replaced, also apparently terminal has been cleaned up ( I have not been in there recently)

It certainly looks more inviting than it did six months ago, the former railway track area is the only neglected area now, (still can't believe they moved the railway).

Port ramps/ Linkspan  are all modern, so not much more they can do at the moment with the three main berths.

Maybe bring back a fast craft for the summer !!!!!!