The Weather - Storm Eleanor

Started by giftgrub, January 02, 2018, 11:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven

Quote from: IFPete on January 03, 2018, 06:57:45 PM
I sailed from Cairynryan to Belfast on superfast VIII at 1915 last night.

The sailing was not rough, however you could feel the pressure of the wind against the side of the ship,

We stopped off Bangor at 2100 pm because the port of Belfast was being hit by 70 mile per hour winds. The storm hit at 2000 pm three hours early.

The captain ordered two tugs to berth and we held off Bangor until the liverpool ship sailed around 2130 releasing the 2nd tug. We docked at 2215 pm without any problem.

It does not surprise me the Superfast X was able to sail from Holyhead to Dublin. The wind direction would not of effected it. The problem is getting into Holyhead which is a problem now as there are no tugs based there as was the case in the past.

As above, the issue with the Superfast's (as with most modern vessels) is berthing, rather than when out in open sea.  Just look at the battering Stena Europe takes, and she's no spring chicken!
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Davy Jones

It does not surprise me the Superfast X was able to sail from Holyhead to Dublin. The wind direction would not of effected it. The problem is getting into Holyhead which is a problem now as there are no tugs based there as was the case in the past.

Not exactly correct! The 20 tonne bollard pull Tug "St David" is based permanantly at Holyhead. As luck would have it, Holyhead Towing's "Afon Alaw" has also been in port for the last month or so. Both were used to berth Adventurer and SFX the other evening.

Steven

Quote from: Davy Jones on February 03, 2018, 09:56:29 AM

Not exactly correct! The 20 tonne bollard pull Tug "St David" is based permanantly at Holyhead. As luck would have it, Holyhead Towing's "Afon Alaw" has also been in port for the last month or so. Both were used to berth Adventurer and SFX the other evening.

I missed that bit of IF Petes post.  Yes, there were 2 tugs assisting in Holyhead (as they would have if the IF vessels were there too).  There's some images on Facebook of 2 tugs bringing SFX onto the berth

Davy Jones

Actually, I think Epsilon berthed by herself - although of course that was terminal 3 as opposed to T5 so the wind produced different conditons.

Steven

Quote from: Davy Jones on February 03, 2018, 03:02:47 PM
Actually, I think Epsilon berthed by herself - although of course that was terminal 3 as opposed to T5 so the wind produced different conditons.
I know she had big problems getting in on Thursday which was responsible for delaying her.  Had to approach the port several times.