The Weather - Storm Eleanor

Started by giftgrub, January 02, 2018, 11:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giftgrub

Going to be a quiet night on the Irish Sea tonight as all central and southern corridor sailings are cancelled tonight.

In the meantime, Oscar Wilde is heading back to Rosslare to relieve the Inishmore which in turn will head to Dublin to release Ulysses to go into drydock in Liverpool.

Stena Adventurer is sailing off Balbriggan to leave berth free for Superfast X. (Well spotted Ferryfan)

Oscar is slowly making its way to Rosslare which is full with Europe, Horizon and Inishmore in port.

Dublin port is very full with nearly all berths occupied.

The Facebook for Stena seems to indicate major issues with their phone systems/ call centre in times where there are major cancellations.

While the inconvenience for passengers is annoying please remember that ferries don't sail in rough weather for safety reasons and if it's too rough for Ulysses, it's too rough.

Chris2016

Are you Sure the Ulysses is going off for a refit no mention off it Anywhere .

BigFerryfan

Hi There,

Ulysses is not going for a refit this winter. The Isle of Innishmore was due to head for dry docking but is instead delaying dry docking and coming to Dublin for a day or two to help get people moving again as it is one of the busiest times of year for passenger traffic and the schedules have been a disaster this week with weather.

giftgrub

Quote from: Chris2016 on January 02, 2018, 11:28:31 PM
Are you Sure the Ulysses is going off for a refit no mention off it Anywhere .

My mistake, assumed Ulysses would refit as normal in January.

ferryfan

Oscar Wilde still circling off Wexford coast as port is still full, Inishmore due in Dublin to make a crossing to Holyhead tonight but nothing expected to start moving until about 1400.
Does anybody know why Epsilon hasn't moved in days she is berthed at ferry quay 18 since last Friday.

HSS

How come Superfast X was able to carry on when everything else was cancelled including Ulysses?

Davy Jones

I wondered that as well! I'm guessing that at the time (according to AIS) she was sailing directly into the headwind and probably easier to control than if it was hitting her side on. Must've been bouncy though!

I also noted the Liverpool-Belfast visentinis were running. Perhaps the didnt have many actual passengers and were shifting mainly freight.

jgf

It appears neither Ulysses or Adventurer can dock in Holyhead at the moment. How the superfast X was able to plough on I just don't know, I deffo didn't want to be on it!

IFPete

I sailed from Cairynryan to Belfast on superfast VIII at 1915 last night.

The sailing was not rough, however you could feel the pressure of the wind against the side of the ship,

We stopped off Bangor at 2100 pm because the port of Belfast was being hit by 70 mile per hour winds. The storm hit at 2000 pm three hours early.

The captain ordered two tugs to berth and we held off Bangor until the liverpool ship sailed around 2130 releasing the 2nd tug. We docked at 2215 pm without any problem.

It does not surprise me the Superfast X was able to sail from Holyhead to Dublin. The wind direction would not of effected it. The problem is getting into Holyhead which is a problem now as there are no tugs based there as was the case in the past.

jgf

Thanks IFPete rather not be on the water last night anyway! According to marine traffic adventurer docked at 19.05 after leaving Dublin at 13.58 while Ulysses docked at 18.40 after after 14.23 departure. The superfast x is now waiting a berth.

jgf

Ulysses on the way to Dublin now 22.24 departed Holyhead not too bad a turn around I suppose considering how busy it must be at Holyhead as it is the Irish Ferries departure from their since 14.10 yesterday.

Cillian

Adventurer departed at 10.35pm and docked in Dublin at about 1.45am. Was filled with trailers. The first 60 mins was a bit bouncy, but the closer to Dublin, the smoother it got.
It was a pleasant enough crossing. Have been on worse.

ferryfan

Isle of Inishmore making an unscheduled/unlisted crossing presumably to help shift backlog of freight. Oscar Wilde has been unable to dock in Rosslare this morning and has been sailing up and down the Wexford coast since about 0830. Adventurer arrived in Holyhead around 0840 and docked with the assistance of the tug St David which is sitting along side her in the berth to keep her steady. Inishmore should be off for annual dry docking later not sure where to but maybe Cammel Laird.

IFPete

I was told Swift, Westpack Express and Isle of Inishmore were going to Birkenhead.

My guess is Epsilon and Oscar Wilde will go to Falmouth.

jgf

Stena Line seem to be back on track from Dublin and Holyhead thanks to both the 8.20 and 15.10 from Dublin being and cancelled and everyone being on the Ulysses. at with both day light sailing from Holyhead also canceeled with pax transferred to the Inishmore.

Oscar Wilde  delayed leaving Rosslare until 03.30 tomorrow morning. Plenty of bad weather still around.