Westpac Express for Irish Sea?

Started by ferryfan, December 01, 2017, 01:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davy Jones

Also wondering why she did berthing trials at Holyhead but not Dublin?

IFPete

She Berths bow in on a pontoon at T2 Holyhead, They needed to check the Bow section mate with the Berth.

RorieLen

Quote from: IFPete on January 16, 2018, 08:20:14 PM
She Berths bow in on a pontoon at T2 Holyhead, They needed to check the Bow section mate with the Berth.

I have it on good authority from a contact in Holyhead that she only trialled T3 and didn't go near the inner harbour or T2

IFPete

Maybe its to do with headheight under T3 upperdeck.

ferryfan

Maybe she only stopped for bunkers?

IFPete

she berthed and vehcated the berth just as swift was arriving in holyhead.

Davy Jones

Yes, she did only berth on T3. I tracked her on AIS.

Bunkers? possibly. However, although I'm a frequent visitor to Holyhead, I've never understood the refueling operation there. There are large bunker tanks on Salt Island and tankers visit terminal 4 regularly to refill them. However, another tanker (usually Keewhit) visits to bunker Stena Adventurer and Ulysses directly from her hold - or so it seems.

giftgrub

Ulysses17

Now confirmed that Westpac is to replace the Jonathan Swift;

Announcement this morning from ICG;

"Sale of Jonathan Swift

ICG announces that it has entered into a Memorandum of Agreement ("MOA") for the sale of the High Speed Craft "Jonathan Swift" to Balearia Eurolineas Maritimas S.A.

The agreed consideration of €15.5 million less brokers commission is payable in cash on delivery less a 10% deposit to be held in escrow. The vessel is to be delivered by the end of April 2018.

The "Jonathan Swift" which was commissioned by and delivered to ICG in 1999 and has since operated on the company's Dublin – Holyhead route. This vessel will be replaced in our fleet by the 2001 built High Speed Craft "Westpac Express", which was recently redelivered following a period of twenty months on external charter. She is currently undergoing a refurbishment programme to bring her up to Irish Ferries passenger service standards.

The "Jonathan Swift" was delivered to the group in 1999 at a cost of €38.8m. The disposal will generate a book profit for ICG of approximately €14.0m.

The proceeds will be used for general corporate purposes."

SEA

Well the rumours were true, would be very interested to see what they plan to do internally I hear she is in a pretty sorry state.

Cillian

LiverpoolIrishLiam

I've written a blog post about the sale of Jonathan Swift. Please read it and tell me your thoughts? https://liamfjournalist.wordpress.com/2018/01/30/a-swift-exit/

Davy Jones

Certainly a much better deal than Stena managed for the Explorer!

Steven

Quote from: Cillian on January 30, 2018, 03:43:19 PM
Makes good Business sense

Yes.  By my calculations they made about €3m by taking a bigger and slight younger craft.  Thats before you add on 20 months charter income as well!!!  Very good business, and its not going to cost as much as they've made to refurbish her.  I bet they'll make a bit when they sell her on in 2020/21 as well!

https://www.niferry.co.uk/westpac-express-confirmed-new-dublin-holyhead-fast-craft/

Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

ferryfan

Reflagged Cyprus like the rest of the fleet. Will she be renamed?