Map of Larne

Started by Steam Packet, July 30, 2017, 02:02:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steam Packet

Hi,

Could anyone please post, or point me in the direction of, a map of the Port of Larne? Specifically one showing the Linkspan Berths, and their Numbers.

If there is no map, could somebody please tell me what the Linkspans Numbers are?

Thanks for any help.

RorieLen

There's a description of the harbour and berthing facilities on the Port of Larne website but maps are harder to come across.

Steven

I have seen one somewhere, but not sure where it was.  Will post if I come across it.  Are you only interested in the ferry berths or the whole port?
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Steam Packet

Thanks guys. I have been on the Port of Larne site and read the details of the berths, originally hoping the site had a map. That  has definitely proven hard to find.

Thank you Steven, and good luck in finding it! And, yes it is mainly the ferry berths, or linkspans, I am interested.

PaddyL

Plan seems to be for  Steam Packet to use Chaine Quay with Curran Quay as backup.

Steven

The best I can do at the moment is this image which was taken from the Larne port handbook sometime in the late 1980's.

taken from http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/ but originally its from the Trevor Kidd's now defunct Larne Ferry Web

This picture is good as all the ferry berths are in use, making them easier to see.  Left to right the berths are Continental Quay, Chaine Quay, MacKean Quay, and Curran Quay.  All but the Curran Quay have double decked linspans, though that won't matter to the steam packet.

I've been doing a lot of research for a forthcoming article which involves the port, but cannot for the life of me remember where I saw the map of the harbour.  I will be doing a new one for a forthcoming piece in any case :).

Steam Packet

Thank you Steven.

Yes, the IoMSP would only use Chaine and Curran Quays. I had seen where these berths were when Ben and Manannan came to do trials at the Port. Arrow also used both these berths when she was laid up there.

Does Larne not number linkspan berths? Instead distinguishing them by the names of the Quays?

PaddyL

Quote from: Steam Packet on August 03, 2017, 05:16:45 AM
Thank you Steven.

Yes, the IoMSP would only use Chaine and Curran Quays. I had seen where these berths were when Ben and Manannan came to do trials at the Port. Arrow also used both these berths when she was laid up there.

Does Larne not number linkspan berths? Instead distinguishing them by the names of the Quays?

They aren't numbered no

Arrow mainly used Curran and Continental though sometimes Chaine.

Steven

Personally I prefer them being given names (also reflect the history of the port), but numbers might be easier to remember if they were in order.

20knots

It will be an interesting development if the IOMSPC decide to use Larne (either exclusively or for alternate/certain sailings).

Motorists have a dual carriageway at hand (the A8) whereas foot passengers will enter into the only remaining integrated ferry-rail terminal on the island of Ireland with a regular comfortable rail service to central Belfast (and connections there to other destinations).

NathanBrady

Dats a big place for one boat at a time.

Steven

Quote from: 20knots on August 06, 2017, 11:38:04 PM
It will be an interesting development if the IOMSPC decide to use Larne (either exclusively or for alternate/certain sailings).

Motorists have a dual carriageway at hand (the A8) whereas foot passengers will enter into the only remaining integrated ferry-rail terminal on the island of Ireland with a regular comfortable rail service to central Belfast (and connections there to other destinations).
I can see it happening.  The rail service isn't as frequent as it used to be, but it could be a very good move for the Steam Packet if they get the timetabling right.