Stena Lagan/Mersey boarding times

Started by Meet the dockers, April 28, 2017, 10:28:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meet the dockers

Not the normal sort of thing posted here I know but hopefully no one will mind.

Taking the overnight ferry Belfast-Liverpool in July. I know the ship actually sails at 10.30 pm but has anyone any experience of what time you are generally allowed to board the ship and occupy the cabin. We are travelling with kids so would obviously like to get them to bed as early as possible.

We are travelling with our car.

Any information would be appreciated.

Davy Jones

Really depends on how busy the crossing is. They have 4 hours (from 6:30 to10:30) to unload the incoming wave of driven vehicles, then the unaccompanied stuff, before reloading the new batch of trailers only. Finally they load cars and driven freight and this tends to be in the last hour before sailing. Although they ask you to be there at least 2 hours before sailing time, I would expect it to be at least 9.45 before you have a hope of getting on board, but once you are, you should be able to collect your cabin passes and get in there rather quickly.

Birkenhead appears to have a slightly more efficient loading operation in place than Belfast, from my experience.

PaddyL

If you are there early I think boarding can be as early as 2100.

Davy Jones

If you're going by car, some cars are stashed up on deck 6 and have their own ramp which wouldn't be relient on larger vehicles having to be stored first, so I suppose it is possible to get some cars loaded earlier. Might be worth giving Stena a call to see if any arrangements can be made.

RorieLen

Boarding takes place in three blocks - starting at 2100, then 2130 and 2200. If you're there early enough you should be eble to avail of 2100 boarding and then get to your cabin as soon as you arrive onboard.

Steven

Quote from: RorieLen on April 30, 2017, 03:07:33 PM
Boarding takes place in three blocks - starting at 2100, then 2130 and 2200. If you're there early enough you should be eble to avail of 2100 boarding and then get to your cabin as soon as you arrive onboard.
My own experience confirms this.  Get there early enough and you should be onboard around 21:00.  As we travel with a wheelchair we go on the main freight deck (for lift access) - this hasn't delayed our boarding any (actually we are first on with the premium boarding people who also go on the main deck).  The drops are already on by that time and they continue to load the freight on behind and beside us afterwards as well.  You can occupy the cabin as soon as you board.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Meet the dockers

Thanks to everyone for their responses. Very helpful.

Steven

Quote from: Meet the dockers on May 04, 2017, 02:33:39 PM
Thanks to everyone for their responses. Very helpful.
I haven't got any kids or travelled with them, but you are probably wise getting them off to bed early.  They aren't the quietest vessels in the world once the engines are put to work, and like most vessels theres also the inevitable squeaks and rattles.  With that said though, last time I went over on a night crossing in July they had an entertainer on for the kids who did some activities and some sort of its time go to sleep type routine at the back of Barista (understandably some of the kids were quite excited at being on a ship despite the hour).  The parents seemed to be very appreciative, not least because they could relax and still keep an eye on the little ones before heading off to bed.  Its been a few years since I travelled that way though as we find Cairnryan suits us better for Leeds, so perhaps they don't do this any more.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline