OFFICIAL: Stena Line’s four new vessels planned for Belfast routes!

Started by Steven, February 15, 2017, 01:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven

Quote from: PaddyL on February 21, 2017, 01:22:57 PM
Quote from: Davy Jones on February 21, 2017, 10:21:49 AM
It would probably be cheaper to extend the mooring posts than shorten the vessel. Plenty of space for that at Holyhead. Dublin would be tighter, but given they can fit IOI or Oscar Wilde on the Swift berth theres probably enough length to berth a 240m vessel on the Stena linkspan, It's all academic though, I expect Scandinavica is needed where she is already.

There have been many comments about Kiel being loss-making so I wouldn't be so sure given how well Holyhead is performing.
It isn't the first time there have been suggestions of the former Harwich pair being moved from the Kiel route either. The 24 different types of cabin (including Jacuzzi suites) might be overkill for Holyhead mind you!
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

NathanBrady

Matt73

Quote from: Steven on February 22, 2017, 04:39:06 PM
It would probably be cheaper to extend the mooring posts than shorten the vessel. Plenty of space for that at Holyhead. Dublin would be tighter, but given they can fit IOI or Oscar Wilde on the Swift berth theres probably enough length to berth a 240m vessel on the Stena linkspan, It's all academic though, I expect Scandinavica is needed where she is already.

There have been many comments about Kiel being loss-making so I wouldn't be so sure given how well Holyhead is performing.
It isn't the first time there have been suggestions of the former Harwich pair being moved from the Kiel route either. The 24 different types of cabin (including Jacuzzi suites) might be overkill for Holyhead mind you!

Very interesting debate as usual.  If we assume that the Kiel ships are moved, would the displaced Superfast VII & VIII be suitable replacements, as they were originally night boats, or would Tallink want them back? 

Would the stretched Scandinavica be too big for Holyhead in lane metre terms, Steven, notwithstanding the excess cabin capacity?

Perhaps the Kiel ships might replace the Vision and Spirit on the Gdynia route?

I have always wondered why Stena didn't order a further two of the Sea Master class.

Thanks

Matt

hhvferry

Quote from: Matt73 on February 25, 2017, 09:37:10 PM

If there is a switch of ships I imagine that would be the most likely - although even if the current ships are too big the Kiel route might still need a bit more freight space than their two old can provide (the current ones replaced four ships after all).

Davy Jones

Although as I previously said, I would love to see Scandanavica run with Adventurer as 2 sisters, I don't really think it likely as she is configured as a 'long distasnce' ferry, with lots of cabins etc. - Just not necessary on the 3 hr Dublin Holyhead crossing.

With Brexit looming and the possibility of inceased load from Ireland direct to France, she may be better placed to relieve Stena Horizon - and provide competition for ICGs Newbuild - although the same questions of berthing will still exist.

Steven

Quote from: Steven on February 22, 2017, 04:39:06 PM

Very interesting debate as usual.  If we assume that the Kiel ships are moved, would the displaced Superfast VII & VIII be suitable replacements, as they were originally night boats, or would Tallink want them back? 

Would the stretched Scandinavica be too big for Holyhead in lane metre terms, Steven, notwithstanding the excess cabin capacity?

I have always wondered why Stena didn't order a further two of the Sea Master class.

Thanks

Matt
Scandinavia probably wouldn't be that excessive in LM terms IMHO, though obviously would represent a big jump from SSFX.  Her third bow thruster would certainly be needed mind, and as you have pointed out the accommodation would need major modifications to make her suitable!

Did they really NEED another 2 seamaster's though?  They upgraded Stena Hollandica instead whilst also extending Britannica.  Don't forget the Seamaster design is based on the Seapacer so they could have simply upgraded the now Finnfellow to Seamaster spec instead of moving her on when the first Seamaster arrived.  Also, by 2006 the new Britannica and Hollandica had been ordered. Part of the reason more Seamaster's weren't ordered could simply be that the Harwich route grew as quick as Stena could build bigger ships at the time, but nowhere else really saw growth on the same scale. 

Quote from: hhvferry on February 26, 2017, 12:21:33 AM

If there is a switch of ships I imagine that would be the most likely - although even if the current ships are too big the Kiel route might still need a bit more freight space than their two old can provide (the current ones replaced four ships after all).
The increase in vehicle capacity they got when rebuilt might go some way to addressing this though, but then would they still be suitable for Kiel with the reduced passenger accommodation that resulted (surely they wouldn't be rebuilt again given their age?).  Perhaps Baltica could be used as well?  Who knows, its Stena we are taking about ;)!
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline