Balearia order new ferries from Visentini

Started by giftgrub, February 01, 2017, 10:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giftgrub

Steven

Quote from: giftgrub on February 01, 2017, 10:38:17 PM
two new Visentini ferries ordered by Baleria.

Looks like the same hull form as the well know Epsilon, Stena Horizon, Mersey, Lagan etc

http://www.hellenicshippingnews.com/balearia-signs-200-million-euro-agreement-with-cantiere-navale-visentini-to-build-two-dual-fuel-ferries/
Is that picture not from a current ferry (I'm guessing Sicilia or Napoles as Visemar One still has some red on her hull)?  The 186.5m length is identical to the existing ships suggesting these will retain the same fuel efficient hull form as you say. 

They sound much like a dual-fuelled repeat of the previous RoPax series - the latest incarnation if you will.  The only real difference I can see apart from the engines (which have the same output as the current Visentini RoPax's giving these the same speed of 24kts) being dual fuel is the a la carte restaurant - I wonder if this will be a similar arrangement to what they have on Stena Lagan/Mersey/Horizon now.  Wouldn't surprise me if they are using the dual-fuel version of the MAN engines used in previous Visentini builds.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

giftgrub

Picture is current ferry, the hull length was the reason I was suggesting similar hull to the Irish Sea family, since the Epsilon was the last ship built wonder will see a few more orders going in.

Steven

Quote from: giftgrub on February 02, 2017, 07:15:06 PM
Picture is current ferry, the hull length was the reason I was suggesting similar hull to the Irish Sea family, since the Epsilon was the last ship built wonder will see a few more orders going in.
Sorry GG, I see that now.  My last post was a little late in the day (after 4 in the morning)!

I wouldn't be surprised if a few more get ordered, though at €100m a piece the price seems to have gone up!  They aren't perfect, but are a very efficient load shifter, and I'm sure CNV wont take too long in bolting them together - they've had plenty of practice! 

Mind you, if (CEO of Tallink) Janek Stalmeister's recent comments are anything to go by, operators may be very cautious about investing in new tonnage.  Notable that Balearia are directly purchasing these pair rather than the usual arrangement of chartering through one of the Visentini company's mind.  As a company they seem to be throwing caution to the wind so far as tonnage investment is concerned.  I was also reading a few days ago that tonnage orders in the Far East (China and Japan were specifically mentioned) are drying up, so perhaps tonnage may be available at the right price in a year or two just to keep the yards in work (no doubt backed by generous local government incentives).
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

NathanBrady