Oscar Wilde ( Dublin - Holyhead )

Started by Chris2016, January 01, 2017, 10:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris2016

Hi Friends , I am just wondering why Irish ferries don't offer day trips on the Oscar wilde when its up helping out in Dublin , But what annoys me is when the Oscar Wilde Covers the Isle of Inishmore its able to take foot passengers . Why cant the Oscar wilde Cover the Ulysses refit . Today the Swift was cancelled all the swifts foot passengers where transferred to the Oscar wilde its completely stupid . I only do the Day trips on the Dublin - Holyhead route for my young son . I tired to ring irish ferries about it I was told I would get a call back but never did . Thanks

conor

Hi Chris,
The reason why the inishmore covers for the Ulysses is because she can carry 2200 passengers whereas oscar Wilde can only carry 1400.

Steven

One reason for not offering day trips could be Oscar's lower passenger capacity, particularly considering she is also the backup option to the swift.  It makes sense to fill the ship with people paying higher fares rather than discounted day trip fares.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

ferryfan

Quote from: Chris2016 on January 01, 2017, 10:59:57 PM
Hi Friends , I am just wondering why Irish ferries don't offer day trips on the Oscar wilde when its up helping out in Dublin , But what annoys me is when the Oscar Wilde Covers the Isle of Inishmore its able to take foot passengers . Why cant the Oscar wilde Cover the Ulysses refit . Today the Swift was cancelled all the swifts foot passengers where transferred to the Oscar wilde its completely stupid . I only do the Day trips on the Dublin - Holyhead route for my young son . I tired to ring irish ferries about it I was told I would get a call back but never did . Thanks

Irish Ferries haven't offered day trips on any route for foot passengers for years.
Meanwhile it's all change in Dublin today and tomorrow
Stena Nordica has left for Rosslare to cover Europe first then Horizon, OW is on her last crossing before heading south to cover IOI which will be making its way to Holyhead tonight to take over from Ulysses.

PaddyL

Quote from: Chris2016 on January 01, 2017, 10:59:57 PM

Surely the explanation is simple.

Oscar is back-up and additional capacity for cars which is the main type of tourist traffic. Trains wouldn't even connect with her surely?

With such a low demand for foot passengers its surely not worth the additional operational pressures of providing the option?

gerrym

@ Ferryfan, Yes Irish Ferries DO offer day trips on Dublin-Holyhead, 46 euro return, except at Christmas, the fare is increased to 86 euro return.. a quick check on the website under day trips/special offers will confirm this. I tried to do a day trip on Oscar Wilde, but it wasn't available

ferryfan

Quote from: gezdub on January 03, 2017, 11:13:05 PM
@ Ferryfan, Yes Irish Ferries DO offer day trips on Dublin-Holyhead, 46 euro return, except at Christmas, the fare is increased to 86 euro return.. a quick check on the website under day trips/special offers will confirm this. I tried to do a day trip on Oscar Wilde, but it wasn't available

That's not a day trip it is even advertised as a "foot passenger minicruise" a quick look in a dictionary would confirm this to you. At €48 it would be a very expensive day trip. Stena were doing day trips ex Dublin and Rosslare up to December for €6.50 and from Belfast to Glasgow a day trip costs £10

20knots

It's only 47 euro from Dublin to London each way for a sailrail fare, even less to destinations in North Wales/North West. Under 5s go free.

Just an idea but the ferry trip could be combined with a trip to say the seaside at Llandudno or the sights of Liverpool.

There is a train approximately every hour to/from Holyhead so no issue of linking up with Oscar Wilde sailings if they wished to do so.

PaddyL

Quote from: ferryfan on January 04, 2017, 10:59:32 AM

That's not a day trip it is even advertised as a "foot passenger minicruise" a quick look in a dictionary would confirm this to you. At €48 it would be a very expensive day trip. Stena were doing day trips ex Dublin and Rosslare up to December for €6.50 and from Belfast to Glasgow a day trip costs £10

Semantics!!

The Cambridge Dictionary definition of a daytrip says

"a visit to a place in which you go there and come back on the same day:"

Irish Ferries Foot Passenger Mini-cruise is described as

"You can stay away for up to 24 hours from the time of arrival at the relevant port in Ireland. You must return either before or on the first sailing following completion of the 24 hours. "

At £35 or €48 I wouldn't describe it as cheap but I think it is well within acceptable if we want to enjoy a day out on ferries.

Steven

Quote from: PaddyL on January 04, 2017, 09:50:09 PM

Semantics!!

The Cambridge Dictionary definition of a daytrip says

"a visit to a place in which you go there and come back on the same day:"

Irish Ferries Foot Passenger Mini-cruise is described as

"You can stay away for up to 24 hours from the time of arrival at the relevant port in Ireland. You must return either before or on the first sailing following completion of the 24 hours. "

At £35 or €48 I wouldn't describe it as cheap but I think it is well within acceptable if we want to enjoy a day out on ferries.
Still cheaper than P&O from Larne to Cairnryan as well
(though thats a return foot passenger fare - P&O don't do North Channel day trips anymore :(  )

HSS

No need for that...a quick look in a dictionary... ::)

Steven

Whilst I don't know the exact costs involved (or what the arrangement between Stena and the coach companies is), I would be astounded if Stena's £10 day trips through Cairnryan aren't loss leaders.  Fantastic way of increasing passenger loads though!

PaddyL

Quote from: Steven on January 04, 2017, 10:17:00 PM

Whilst I don't know the exact costs involved (or what the arrangement between Stena and the coach companies is), I would be astounded if Stena's £10 day trips through Cairnryan aren't loss leaders.  Fantastic way of increasing passenger loads though!

I have often thought same (dependent on onboard sales).  Or alternatively if there is some type of tourist board support (eg paying for buses).

Also note £10 is a "from" fare.

Steven

Quote from: PaddyL on January 05, 2017, 12:28:34 PM
Quote from: Steven on January 04, 2017, 10:17:00 PM

I have often thought same (dependent on onboard sales).  Or alternatively if there is some type of tourist board support (eg paying for buses).

Also note £10 is a "from" fare.
Quite possibly Paddy, I'm sure Ayr for example benefits from having a few coachloads of extra visitors every Tuesday!  I know I spend a few quid there (on beer usually admittedly).