where do we think stenas new ships will end up

Started by market knowledge, September 09, 2016, 02:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

market knowledge

PaddyL

Quote from: market knowledge on September 09, 2016, 02:53:40 PM
irish sea or north sea

Can't see North Sea as no appropriate routes?

Current reliable skeet suggests first two will go to Belfast - Birkenhead.  Belfast - Cairnryan also likely to get two and one will replace Stena Superfast X at Holyhead.

That said, there is such a long lead in time that much remains to be seen.  Given how busy Birkenhead is, one would imagine that Stena would take an alternative solution if one arose sooner rather than later.

Steven

Quote from: PaddyL on September 09, 2016, 03:51:07 PM
irish sea or north sea

Current reliable skeet suggests first two will go to Belfast - Birkenhead.  Belfast - Cairnryan also likely to get two and one will replace Stena Superfast X at Holyhead.

That said, there is such a long lead in time that much remains to be seen.  Given how busy Birkenhead is, one would imagine that Stena would take an alternative solution if one arose sooner rather than later.

Must say I agree here.  Birkenhead almost seems a given - they could do with the new ships now if I'm honest!  Replacement of all 3 superfasts would seem wise/likely as well - even after their conversions they still aren't efficient ships to operate, and VII/VIII are only chartered - for what I believe is quite a considerable sum. 

I do wonder though about Stena Danica.  Perhaps one (or more) of the options could be bound for Gothenburg?  Of course, we still know very little about how the vessels will be configured.  Until we do we can only guess and rely on rumours.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

RorieLen

While I keep reading people saying the Birkenhead to Belfast route is a 'cert' to receive two of these new vessels, much could change between now and 2019...

PaddyL

Quote from: RorieLen on October 04, 2016, 04:02:24 PM
While I keep reading people saying the Birkenhead to Belfast route is a 'cert' to receive two of these new vessels, much could change between now and 2019...

I agree.  Until it's definitely happening, it's no cert.  2019 is quite a long time for a route to continue "at capacity". I keep thinking the Finnlines Star Class would be great replacements if any of them were available, which I doubt.

Matt73

Quote from: Steven on October 03, 2016, 03:09:51 PM
Quote from: PaddyL on September 09, 2016, 03:51:07 PM
irish sea or north sea

Must say I agree here.  Birkenhead almost seems a given - they could do with the new ships now if I'm honest!  Replacement of all 3 superfasts would seem wise/likely as well - even after their conversions they still aren't efficient ships to operate, and VII/VIII are only chartered - for what I believe is quite a considerable sum. 

I do wonder though about Stena Danica.  Perhaps one (or more) of the options could be bound for Gothenburg?  Of course, we still know very little about how the vessels will be configured.  Until we do we can only guess and rely on rumours.

Can't see them on the North Sea either, Hollandica and Britannica are much bigger in any case and, I think, the Killingholme pair. 

I agree with Steven about Birkenhead and I think the other two will replace the old gal Danica and allow the Jutlandica to be sent elsewhere in the fleet.  Gothenburg-Frederikshavn is still, I believe, a big earner for them and was the original Stena Line route. 

From the artists impressions, I see the new ships are going to be double deck loading.  I guess that will mean shore works at Birkenhead and Belfast for them and construction of new ramps Gothenburg and Frederikshavn, replacing the side loading ramps there. 

Matt

Davy Jones

Do we know if the new ships are going to have the extra height clearance as desired by users of the North Corridor? That may tell us something.

TC

I can't see the new ships being deployed on the Belfast - Cairnryan run. My hunch is two will go to Birkenhead and two will go to Holyhead.

Stena Adventurer could replace Stena Jutlandica, which could be transfered to operate in lieu of Stena Danica. Superfast X could replace Stena Nautica / Stena Europe.   

Steven

Quote from: Davy Jones on October 06, 2016, 03:49:35 PM
Do we know if the new ships are going to have the extra height clearance as desired by users of the North Corridor? That may tell us something.
I would expect so, given the ships are supposed to be designed with the flexibility to operate across the Stena Line route network.  Surely it would make sense for Stena to plan this into the design (or allow for easy adaptation of the design), especially given 'Stenability'?  Time will tell of course, but personally I'd be very surprised if they didn't meet the free height requirements of the NI routes.  Same goes for double deck loading - I'm sure its entirely possible they will be able able to load at single level using internal ramps if deployed on the Birkenhead run for example.  After all, the time is there to do so in the turnaround.

Quote from: TC on October 06, 2016, 07:54:19 PM
I can't see the new ships being deployed on the Belfast - Cairnryan run. My hunch is two will go to Birkenhead and two will go to Holyhead.

Stena Adventurer could replace Stena Jutlandica, which could be transfered to operate in lieu of Stena Danica. Superfast X could replace Stena Nautica / Stena Europe.   

As things stand, X couldn't replace Nautica without major changes.  During Nautica's refit period Stena Gothica sailed from Halmstad instead of Varberg due to her size, and she is over 30m shorter thanthe Stena Superfasts!  Remember, Nautica herself is less than 135m long, as opposed to Stena Superfast X which is over 203m long!  These two ships illustrate the massive growth in size of the tonnage on the central corridor over the past couple if decades pretty well IMHO.  Of course X is far from the biggest ship on the corridor either at present!
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

RorieLen

Why would they replace Adventurer with one of the new ships with less lane meterage? The central corridor route is growing is it not?

Looking at it logically, these ships will go where they're needed - this may or may not be the same routes that are currently crying out for capacity by the time they arrive in 2019/20.

TC

Remember Stena Superfast X has only 2000LM. The new ship that would replace her would be bringing an extra 1000LM. True Stena Adventurer does have an extra 400LM, but there is still an increase of 600LM. I imagine if need be one of the ships could be delivered a little longer to make up for the shortfall.

Stena Adventurer has been in service for 13 years, and the Holyhead route is a stressful operation. An aging vessel vs a brand new one... I'm not saying all new ships come perfect, there can be occasional problems, but it’s a fact as a vessel gets older, it requires more maintenance.

I am not saying the displaced tonnage will be definitely be going on the routes I suggested, but I am sure they can be deployed elsewhere in the Stena network.

RorieLen

Surely it's as much about overall capacity across both ships as the need to have a larger ship sailing at certain times? They need Stena Adventurer's capacity at 2040 ex Dublin and 0230 ex Holyhead from what I can see.

I read that these new ships will be 212 m long so already slightly longer than Adventurer and I would assume anything longer than that would pose problems at Stena's berth in Dublin.

seaman

I did ask one of the crew members on the Stena Europe when i took a trip this summer, and he said that probably the Stena Europe along with one of the oldest ferries in Scandinavia which he thinks will be the Stena Danica will be replaced in 2019. But the question is, will they be day or night time ferries??? No specs on how many cabins and beds?

VSFXX

Quote from: TC on October 06, 2016, 07:54:19 PM

This hunch was confirmed by Stena crew to me a while back

manuelsupe

Oh... all that it is really interesentig! Finally i find a forum where discuss all of this things about ferries! Thank you for de topic ;D ;D