Le Rif (ex Stena Galloway) possibly making her final journey soon

Started by Steven, July 21, 2016, 10:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven

I haven't been able to confirm this yet, but according to the link below the former Galloway Princess has been sold for scrap to an undisclosed buyer.  If true she will be the first of the four final vessels built for Sealink by Harland and Wolff to go under the torch, though the future of Ibn Batouta (ex Stena Antrim/St Christopher) doesn't look too rosy either at present having apparently been purchased for refurbishment and further service some time ago.

http://www.freewebs.com/paulmasonthamesshipping/marketreport17thjul.htm
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

sealink

I worked for Stena Sealink as a student and the Galloway was my favourite ship. Travelled on her from a small child and miss her and all the Saints.

Steven

Quote from: sealink on July 22, 2016, 08:51:55 PM
I worked for Stena Sealink as a student and the Galloway was my favourite ship. Travelled on her from a small child and miss her and all the Saints.
She's the first Ferry I can clearly remember travelling on, so is a special ship for me as well.  Unfortunately it's only a matter of time before she goes under the cutting torch.  She was laid up years ago with major technical problems and with her owners bankrupt shortly after has been left to rot more or less.

In many ways this series was ahead of their time (some would say they were one of the first ro-pax designs), and it's a testament to their build quality and design that 2 remain in service.  Unfortunately all are probably on borrowed time, though Port Link (ex Stena Caledonia) may have a few years left yet due to the money Stena spent on her upgrading her, the fact she gets laid up for a few months every year during the rainy season, and the more 'flexible' standards in her current operating region.  It is said she is the pride of the Indonesian ferry fleet.

Steven

Seems she may not be out for a while yet!

Recent reports that Le Rif (ex Stena Galloway, Galloway Princess) had been sold for scrap appear to have been untrue, as the former North Channel favourite arrived in Malaga on Saturday for a dry docking.  The ship (including 4 crew and a Captain appointed for the trip) was towed from Tangier in Morocco where she had been abandoned in 2013, though she had been moved to a different berth in the port since then.  Initially the Harland and Wolff built ship will undergo an assessment of her condition taking around 10 days and involving 14 people.  A budget of around €2.5m has been set aside for the overhaul and refurbishment, which will involve significant technical work.  The work will be undertaken at the Mario Lopez shipyard in Malaga.

ferryfan

Quote from: Steven on July 26, 2016, 07:46:37 PM
Seems she may not be out for a while yet!

Recent reports that Le Rif (ex Stena Galloway, Galloway Princess) had been sold for scrap appear to have been untrue, as the former North Channel favourite arrived in Malaga on Saturday for a dry docking.  The ship (including 4 crew and a Captain appointed for the trip) was towed from Tangier in Morocco where she had been abandoned in 2013, though she had been moved to a different berth in the port since then.  Initially the Harland and Wolff built ship will undergo an assessment of her condition taking around 10 days and involving 14 people.  A budget of around €2.5m has been set aside for the overhaul and refurbishment, which will involve significant technical work.  The work will be undertaken at the Mario Lopez shipyard in Malaga.

There she is in Malaga last Saturday not looking too shabby either

Ainos

I travelled last week on the Bari (ex St. Anselm) from Bari to Kefalonia.

I must say, she is even in better condition then last year. Perfectly clean (much more then the expensive ferries from North Italy to Greece) inside and outside, no rust markings and one of the most polite crews that I have ever experienced!
Internally, she looks great with the forward english style pub, the huge amount of light and a lot of wooden paneling.
On the funny side, I was given one of the original crew cabins (deck 6). Originally certified for 1 seaman according to the sign above the door, this is now a 2-bed cabin :D
Also, there are still a lot of Sealink signs throughout the ship if you look carefully  ;)

Her sprinklers are still from Grinnell (1978) and her davits are still the type BE9500 from SCHAT, London.
Are this two companies still in existence?

I highly recommend a trip on her!

PaddyL

Quote from: Ainos on July 30, 2016, 10:46:48 AM

I must say, she is even in better condition then last year. Perfectly clean (much more then the expensive ferries from North Italy to Greece) inside and outside, no rust markings and one of the most polite crews that I have ever experienced!
Internally, she looks great with the forward english style pub, the huge amount of light and a lot of wooden paneling.
On the funny side, I was given one of the original crew cabins (deck 6). Originally certified for 1 seaman according to the sign above the door, this is now a 2-bed cabin :D
Also, there are still a lot of Sealink signs throughout the ship if you look carefully  ;)

Her sprinklers are still from Grinnell (1978) and her davits are still the type BE9500 from SCHAT, London.

Sounds wonderful!

Did you manage to get any onboard pictures of her?

Steven

Quote from: Ainos on July 30, 2016, 10:46:48 AM

Did a bit of googling for you :).  Grinnell still exist as a brand of Tyco, as they would also have been in 1978.  SCHAT has been absorbed into Harding.

Steven

For those interested, a couple of articles (in Spanish) with more detail about Le Rif's arrival in Malaga.  Looking at the close-up pictures, the pictures we previously have seen taken at a distance appear to have flattered her appearance somewhat!

http://barcosenmalaga.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/el-ferry-le-rif-reparar-en-malaga.html

http://malagamaritima.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/el-ferry-le-rif-sera-reparado-en-malaga.html

Also, an update (in somewhat broken English)

QuoteThe ferry with Moroccan flag Le Rif is still in the shipyards of Mario Lopez, in Malaga, waiting to be repaired and tuning up, to reincorporate almost for sure, to the line of the Strait of Gibraltar. It was bought some months ago by the shipping Detroit World Logistic Maritime (DWLM) will start its stop next week and after a repairing estimated in 2'5 million euro which will focus on works of engine and hull, the ferry, built in the shipyards Harland & Wolf of North Ireland in 1980, will go back to work.

Since the company IMTC broke down in 2013 (previous owner of the ship) and after remaining moored for two years at the port of Tangier, the Le Rif, will suffer an important reform wit the one that its new owner intends to give the activity back to the ship with 129 meters length, for sure, in the line in which it finished working, before suffering an important damaging because of deterioration, the link Algeciras-Tangier Med.

At the moment, it is unknown if the ship will be operative again before the end of the year, since the works in the shipyard have to be added the official processes necessary for its launching.
https://www.elestrechodigital.com/en/breaking-news/le-rif-is-still-waiting-for-its-reform-to-go-back-to-the-strait/

Steven

Le Rif has been on the move again, this time under tow to another yard, in Italy.  Word is things are not well and she still needs a lot of work before she has a chance of getting certified.  Coincidentally, she's getting closer to Turkey!

Steven

Quote from: Steven on November 28, 2016, 05:18:13 PM
Le Rif has been on the move again, this time under tow to another yard, in Italy.  Word is things are not well and she still needs a lot of work before she has a chance of getting certified.  Coincidentally, she's getting closer to Turkey!
Le Rif has been moved to La Spezia in Italy.  Her AIS appears to have been turned off again though.

Steven

Part-sister, the former St Anselm/Stena Cambria (now Bari), has appeared on a website for sale.  However, it's not the most reliable of sites and the picture used was taken in Albania about 2 years ago by a private individual.

NathanBrady

Quote from: Steven on January 19, 2017, 02:27:33 PM
Part-sister, the former St Anselm/Stena Cambria (now Bari), has appeared on a website for sale.  However, it's not the most reliable of sites and the picture used was taken in Albania about 2 years ago by a private individual.
Possible new Dun Laoghaire ferry ha ha?

Steven

good news!

Le Rif (ex Stena Galloway, Galloway Princess) should be back in service across the Strait of Gibraltar by September

https://wp.me/p8Bfsp-1hz