stena europe

Started by cosseric.coss, June 01, 2013, 10:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think will happen to Stena Europe?

Total Members Voted: 15

PaddyL

Quote from: NorthWestNotQuiteTheBest on April 25, 2017, 02:59:54 PM
During a recent meeting with a Stena Europe Chief Officer, who shall remain nameless, it was confirmed that substantial works will be undertaken on the Stena Europe in late 2017/early 2018. I quote "in somewhere warm, maybe Gibdock"

So she'll be sailing for a while yet...

Probably the worst attempt ever at keeping a source anonymous!

Niall

Most likely the work will be carried out at Rementowa in Gdansk. Stena have worked with them a lot before.

PaddyL

Quote from: Niall on April 25, 2017, 05:53:32 PM
Most likely the work will be carried out at Rementowa in Gdansk. Stena have worked with them a lot before.

I doubt any contract is signed but the previous poster suggested somewhere warm like Gibraltar, which isn't Gdansk which also isn't warm (except in summer).

seaman

Quote from: PaddyL on April 25, 2017, 09:46:18 PM

I doubt any contract is signed but the previous poster suggested somewhere warm like Gibraltar, which isn't Gdansk which also isn't warm (except in summer).

Stena Line docks vessels in Gdansk as well no matter which time of the year. I wonder what will be done to the interior though like the MET, cabins etc.., and that this might be the end of the classic liferafts as a previous post told that they are introducing the MES, wouldn't be surprised though as the Stena Saga, Danica, Vision and Spirit also got their rafts removed and replaced by MES. Exciting times ahead though...

I think that was a little bit expected that they want to keep Europe going for a further more years, i am referring to the big works that have been done on the other 80's ferries that Stena Line is using:
Stena Saga: Complete new SPA
Stena Danica in 2016: New propellers, done twice though???, in 2018: new outlet clothing store to take place at the stern of deck 8, new restaurants, bars etc....

Might have missed something though ::)

RorieLen

Quote from: seaman on April 26, 2017, 10:19:51 AM
Quote from: PaddyL on April 25, 2017, 09:46:18 PM

Stena Line docks vessels in Gdansk as well no matter which time of the year. I wonder what will be done to the interior though like the MET, cabins etc.., and that this might be the end of the classic liferafts as a previous post told that they are introducing the MES, wouldn't be surprised though as the Stena Saga, Danica, Vision and Spirit also got their rafts removed and replaced by MES. Exciting times ahead though...

I think that was a little bit expected that they want to keep Europe going for a further more years, i am referring to the big works that have been done on the other 80's ferries that Stena Line is using:
Stena Saga: Complete new SPA
Stena Danica in 2016: New propellers, done twice though???, in 2018: new outlet clothing store to take place at the stern of deck 8, new restaurants, bars etc....

Might have missed something though ::)

So much remains to be seen and so much can change in the coming months and years... we all know Stena will react to whatever changes or challenges they are presented with.

What I'm saying is, basically, while they might currently have a plan for Stena Europe so much can happen to change even the best laid plans.

PaddyL

Quote from: RorieLen on April 26, 2017, 04:29:54 PM

So much remains to be seen and so much can change in the coming months and years... we all know Stena will react to whatever changes or challenges they are presented with.

What I'm saying is, basically, while they might currently have a plan for Stena Europe so much can happen to change even the best laid plans.

Absolutely and perhaps we should start getting excited when Stena's very vocal PR machine kicks in.

Steven

To be fair, most operators have worked with Remontowa (or the "Gdansk Ship Repair yard Józef Piłsudski" if we are being specific, since Remontowa is anywhere that repairs ships in Polish), to the extent that it can be tricky to get in there.  There are plenty of yards in Europe still, and if such work were to take place Stena Europe's size means there are plenty of options.  Spanish yards are crying out for work for example and Stena are known to drive a hard bargain after all!  It wouldn't be the first time Stena have thrown a lifeline to a yard struggling for work (in exchange for a rock bottom price).  The optimist in me would like to see such work undertaken locally, but realistically i don't see that happening.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline