stena europe

Started by cosseric.coss, June 01, 2013, 10:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think will happen to Stena Europe?

Total Members Voted: 15

Steven

Quote from: NathanBrady on January 19, 2017, 07:17:19 AM
Quote from: Niall on January 17, 2017, 10:51:45 PM
I was told this by a man living in Rosslare Harbour and who has contacts on board the ship.
Chinese whispers
Certainly not as reliable as a press release! 
To be honest, I'd be surprised if things are that advanced given she's literally only out of dry dock.  Stena are well known for shopping around after all, and we are likely looking at least another year before they put her back into dry dock again.  If major work is to be done I'd be surprised if one of the Polish yards isn't an option, but I can't help but feel this is someone somewhere putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5 (particularly with the Superfast conversions having been done in Poland).  As for her being around for another 10 years, i'm not sure even Stena would push her that far - I'm sure it'll cost a pretty penny to get her certified at over 40 years old!  There has been talk that Stena intend to keep her around for another few years (and certainly the amount of work done on her in recent years seems to indicate that), but keeping her until she is 45 is a different story all together!
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Steven

giftgrub

Quote from: Davy Jones on January 19, 2017, 06:36:38 PM
Anybody got a proper pic of her new livery yet?

Click on link in post 591 above

Davy Jones

Link doesn't work for me I'm afraid. Whether its because I dont have a twitter account or that the link is not working generally, I'm not sure. I just get a message (from Twitter I presume) saying the page doesn't exist.

giftgrub

Not sure what happened with the link, the image was posted on the facebook as below.

Image posted on Rosslare Maritime Enthusiast 2015 Facebook  - Copyright Brian Boyce

https://www.facebook.com/rosslaremaritimeenthusiasts2015/photos/a.1675608545992872.1073741828.1675598602660533/1895067304046994/?type=3&theater

Shows the Stena Europe returning home from Belfast, looks very impressive and a great image.

Davy Jones

Cheers GG. I see her now. Vibrant and more up to date!

giftgrub

With regards to the Stena Europe, apparently no decisions have been made with regards to its life extending refit rumoured for next year, given how good condition the vessel is in it is a prime candidate for a significant investment and would remain on Rosslare route if upgrades are carried out.

Obviously removing an internal deck to increase vehicle height, installing MES systems in place of life rafts do point towards a positive future, given the fact that internally the passenger spaces are perfect and spotless, offering a blend of different areas all up to date and the fantastic Plus lounge.

(One assumes deck 8 toilets got overhauled in Belfast), any future investment will probably be of a mechanical / structural nature, assume bridge crew would love to have the bridge wings covered ! And technical mods throughout to upgrade systems and refurb cabin block and crew areas.

One thing that is probably certain is the Europe is going nowhere for the next couple of years.

Plenty of images on Scott Mackeys excellent Flickr site here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/scottmackey/albums/72157623466806142

Davy Jones

Just a reminder that Stena Spent money on the aquisition of Stena Navigator - and did a major refurb on both her and her running mate (Caledonia) - all for them to serve as a stop-gap for a couple of years. By keeping Europe in the best condition it will all help towards a possible sale and I'm sure there are a few locations around the world who would kill to have her.

giftgrub

Stena press release

The Stena Europe, which operates on the daily Stena Line ferry service between Rosslare and Fishguard has become the first vessel in Stena Line's Irish Sea fleet of seven ships to sport the leading ferry company's new strapline.
'Connecting Europe for a Sustainable Future' is now emblazoned in thirty-foot green lettering on either side of the ship to reflect the company's commitment to becoming a more sustainable and environmentally friendly company, a key aspect of Stena Line's future business strategy.
The external livery work was carried out at Belfast's iconic Harland & Wolff shipyard and was manged by Stena Line's group sister company, Northern Marine Ferries as part of an ongoing £7m fleet refit programme.
In addition to the exterior upgrades, the Stena Europe also had work carried out on bow thrusters, rudders and main shaft seals under the water line, with additional upgrades to the galley, bar and crew accommodation.
To accommodate the increasing demand from the freight transport industry, Stena Line also increased the height of the vessel's cargo deck which now allows access to high top trailers, a key requirement of more and more freight customers operating between Britain and Ireland.
Ian Davies, Stena Line's Trade Director (Irish Sea South) commented: "We are delighted that one of our vessels has become the first Stena Line ship on the Irish Sea to promote our new company strapline which graphically reflects our increasing commitment to become a more sustainable and environmentally friendly company.
Furthermore, for our freight customers, we took onboard their feedback in relation to the accommodation of high top trailers and took the refit opportunity to increase the height clearance of an area of our cargo deck to 4.65m. The Stena Europe is now equipped to accommodate all trailer height variations which we are confident will help us continue to expand our freight business in 2017."
Stena Line is the largest ferry operator on the Irish Sea, offering the biggest fleet and the widest choice of routes between Britain to Ireland including Belfast to Liverpool and Heysham, Belfast to Cairnryan, Dublin to Holyhead and Rosslare to Fishguard routes, a total of 224 weekly sailing options between Britain and Ireland. Stena Line also offers a direct service from Rosslare to Cherbourg with three return crossings a week.
[ends]
NOTE TO EDITOR: For further information please contact Lawrence Duffy or Fiona Brown of Duffy Rafferty Communications on Belfast +44 (0) 28 9073 0880.
Stena Line operates the biggest fleet and the widest choice of routes between Ireland and Britain with an extensive route network including Belfast to Cairnryan, Belfast to Liverpool, Belfast to Heysham, Dublin Port to Holyhead and Rosslare to Fishguard.

NathanBrady

Quote from: Davy Jones on January 25, 2017, 09:29:52 AM
Just a reminder that Stena Spent money on the aquisition of Stena Navigator - and did a major refurb on both her and her running mate (Caledonia) - all for them to serve as a stop-gap for a couple of years. By keeping Europe in the best condition it will all help towards a possible sale and I'm sure there are a few locations around the world who would kill to have her.
Aye, but Europe is a good bit older than Navigator was when sold.  Who wants a 40 year old ferry?

Steven

Quote from: NathanBrady on February 02, 2017, 06:46:17 PM
Quote from: Davy Jones on January 25, 2017, 09:29:52 AM
Aye, but Europe is a good bit older than Navigator was when sold.  Who wants a 40 year old ferry?
Probably Moby Lines ;) !  They seem happy enough to take anything thats going these days.

loch garman

i was travelling on the stena europe to fishguard last thursday night.

we didnt sail from rosslare until about 10.30pm.... there was a problem with the ships far right ramp...again! It didnt seem to want to close properly. They then lowered it back down again.....about 10 stena and port staff literally jostled with it for a good while. They even drove a forklift over it a few times.

You would wonder did they do anything with it when in drydock? or is the ship just knackered?

in fairness though the ship held up well when I was travelling back from fishguard on sunday afternnon in the storm!! :o

lynx1

I have been told by someone as of 1st of may the stena europe will be changing sailing timetable

giftgrub

Quote from: lynx1 on March 10, 2017, 09:38:56 PM
I have been told by someone as of 1st of may the stena europe will be changing sailing timetable

Not doubting your info but no sign of any changes on booking system, if they are changing surely that's the first place to start.

Dublinport

Quote from: giftgrub on March 11, 2017, 01:22:08 PM
Quote from: lynx1 on March 10, 2017, 09:38:56 PM

Not doubting your info but no sign of any changes on booking system, if they are changing surely that's the first place to start.

possibly not - they did allow people to book the HSS knowing that it wasn't going to operate