stena europe

Started by cosseric.coss, June 01, 2013, 10:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think will happen to Stena Europe?

Total Members Voted: 15

hhvferry

It's not entirely implausible that IF would be interested in one of those two vessels, but surely not as a like-for-like to replace Epsilon - about a 45% reduction in lane metres and a 70% increase in fuel consumption don't make initial sense; if they were to use one of them to effectively replace the Swift and part of the Epsilon's rota in one go they might do.

Either way, the Destination Gotland vessels would probably require a rebuild of the passenger spaces if they are to serve the Irish Sea. They are quite attractive in their own way on board, and I quite like them for their very calm, very quiet 'floating library' feel; others have described them as effectively 'floating buses'. Whilst the design is crisp and effective for the specific requirement of Gotland traffic, it is unusual for a conventional ferry. The pax capacity is 1,600 but there is accommodation for around 1,800 - being essentially 1,000 reclining seats, 300 berths and 500 seats in the central 'Food market' section. There is no bar as such save for a small area of open seating right at the stern. Either way, it would be very interesting indeed to see one of them on the Irish Sea.

Steven

Quote from: giftgrub on March 13, 2016, 07:19:37 PM
Apparently the delay in the Stena Europe's return to service had nothing at all to do with any of the four working engines, the issues related to the MCA inspection and obviously some areas must have required further attention causing the delay, all set to return to service on Tuesday and leaving Falmouth in the morning.
Exactly.  The requirements for getting through the 35 year survey are quite stringent I believe, hence why most operators don't bother and dispose of tonnage before that point!
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

giftgrub

Stena Europe in the Sunday sunshine, taken in Falmouth yesterday

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=2424534

On the way back to Fishguard at the moment and back to work tomorrow.

Davy Jones

Would have been nice if they had adorned her with the blue waves as well.

And those rear ramps could have done with a coat of paint.

giftgrub

More info on Europe refit posted by Diane Pool on the Facebook

Area Irish Sea Ship Refit Programme Completed

The frenetic round of ship refits has come to an end on the Irish Sea. Over the last 10 weeks, 8 ships have been into dry dock, the majority of which visiting Harland & Wolff shipyard in Belfast, for a range of routine and bespoke works.
The Stena Adventurer departed Harland and Wolff dry dock yesterday (Mar 13th) and commenced service from Dublin at 0820 hrs today (Mar 14th). The vessel has undergone a range of maintenance and technical work which included a full painting of the exterior of the vessel, underwater areas and some parts of the exterior decks.
As it's the first full refit for 3 years for the Adventurer the opportunity has been taken to facelift the passenger accommodation on Decks 8 and 9, ensuring Stena Line standards are maintained throughout until the next refit.

Meanwhile The Stena Europe departed the A&P Yard in Falmouth Cornwall today (March 14th). Among the works completed are new carpets being laid throughout the public areas; significant amounts of seating have been reupholstered, particularly in Stena Plus and Barista, which should be well received by customers when the ship is back on the run departing from Fishguard at 1430hrs tomorrow (Mar 15th). The children's play area has also been freshened up as have the public toilets. Staff too will notice improvements as all mess room chairs have been reupholstered and brushed stainless finish fitted in the mess kitchen, so lots of new improvements to look forward to in 2016.
Today Monday (14th March) Stena Flavia departed for the Baltics and the Stena Horizon will pick up her normal run on Tuesday (15th March) from Rosslare to Cherbourg , which will then see all of the Irish Sea South fleet back on their normal schedules.
It has been a very hectic Dry Dock schedule and thanks to everyone concerned for making it go as smooth as possible.
Stena Europe photographs were taken by Peadar O 'Connor Bosun on Stena Europe

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=865697393547596&set=pcb.696845970418257&type=3&theater

hhvferry

I wonder, if it's true, what Stena's reported interest in the incomplete hull of the Viking ADCC might be. She has a freight deck with a separate car deck above and the only routes I can imagine in the Stena Line network which could even possibly justify an arrangement without twin freight decks might be Fishguard-Rosslare and GrenĂ¥-Varberg, possibly Trelleborg-Sassnitz.

She could be a project for Stena RoRo but it would be an uncharacteristic acquisition for them.

giftgrub

Seems that Stena Europe AIS system has developed a fault, not showing properly on Marine Traffic for last few days.

giftgrub

Overheard in Rosslare last weekend that the refit of the Stena Europe cost about 1.5 million sterling, or about 1.9 million euro, a not insubstantial sum of money, obviously the 35 year survey, annual refit, full hull repaint, anti fouling, service for thrusters, stabilisers, engines, generators, car deck steel work, technical upgrades throughout the ship to various areas all unseen by passengers, new carpets and furniture coverings throughout the high traffic areas were all done to ensure the vessels continued service on the route.

Nice to see that since it had returned to service all shiny and clean it has settled straight back into service arriving into Rosslare every morning and evening ahead of schedule and performing faultlessly, sailing on time last weekend while the Inishmore remained in Rosslare on Sunday.

It can be taken from this level of spend that the Europe is going to remain in service for the next 2/3 years, which is when Stenas much rumoured but yet to be announced new fleet order for new builds will lead to a major reshuffle of the fleet and one of the existing fleet will be redeployed on the southern corridor.

seaman

Nice to see that the good old friend is to stay for a while within the Stena fleet! Wonder if it will get the blue waves next year maybe, and how the interior might be changed after the recent visit. What's for real is that this is a real Swedish quality build, too bad that the company that built it dosen't exist anymore.

But my guess is that the Europe might be replaced somewhere in the 2020's maybe, like Stena Danica for example, i might be wrong but when looking to the investments and refurbishing being made through the years i doubt it is an agenda for replacement, YET!

My thoughts is that the 1980's Stena vessels are about to go from 2020 . A little off topic, a photo was published somewhere, forgot the link. That there was a picture in the crew area telling this: "Stena Danica 1983-202?", which means that it is decided that it's going in a near future.

Let's not forget that apart from the Europe being oldest within Irish Sea fleet, most of the ferries in Scandinavia are one of the oldest within the Stena fleet:

Stena Saga: built in 1981, the same age as Europe
Stena Danica: built in 1983, two years younger only
Stena Nautica: built in 1986, just turned 30 years
Stena Vision: built in 1987, turning 30 years next year
Stena Spirit: built in 1988, 28 years old, only 2 years before the 30th anniversary

RorieLen

I was on the Stena Europe last week - no significant internal changes but it is evident that new carpets have been laid and seats covered, albeit in the same style as before. If they did a full repaint this year and didn't apply the blue wave I can't see it will be done next year as she's unlikely to receive a full repaint two years in a row.

The crew on Stena Europe were telling me the expenditure on her this year is to ensure she stays on the route for another two seasons.

Quote from: seaman on April 03, 2016, 08:13:50 PM
Let's not forget that apart from the Europe being oldest within Irish Sea fleet, most of the ferries in Scandinavia are one of the oldest within the Stena fleet:

Stena Spirit: built in 1988, 28 years old, only 2 years before the 30th anniversary

Yes, there are lots of vessels that will need replacement - not only in Stena Line.

Steven

Quote from: RorieLen on April 03, 2016, 09:38:53 PM

Quote from: seaman on April 03, 2016, 08:13:50 PM

Yes, there are lots of vessels that will need replacement - not only in Stena Line.
Exactly.  Just looking at those operating in/to the British Isles Brittany Ferries have said they want to replace 2, P&O need to do something both at Hull and Dover (as discussed elsewhere on here) and some might say Liverpool, DFDS have some elderly vessels (notably the Newcastle ships), etc.  Of that list, Saga's route is said by some to have an uncertain future.  Spirit and Vision had major life extension works a few years ago which included the replacement of many systems amongst other things, so its unfair I feel to classify them in the same category as Europe - Oscar Wilde is the same age but without the extensive life extension work having been done (though IF did do some work when they took her over).  Danica has been exceptionally well cared for throughout her life and has wanted for nothing.  I believe she is in remarkable condition for her age and in better condition than many more recent vessels.  Nautica could very well have 5 years plus left depending on how much was done when they ruined her during her rebuild.  Theres also Stena Gothica and her sister Urd from the top of my head.  The likes of Trelleborg and Stena Scanrail have already left the fleet also, so they are addressing the fleet age issue.

Its no secret that Stena are apparently ready to place a multi-ship order in the Far East for the ferry division.  While the resulting tonnage may not replace the above directly, the cascades very well could do.  In 2-4 years the Stena Line fleet could look very different.  P&O are also rumoured to be looking at new tonnage, as are DFDS (though not necessarily are these operators looking at new tonnage for all the routes I have mentioned), and Brittany Ferries have stated publicly that they are looking for a yard to build perhaps 2 ships (replacing Bretagne and Normandie). 
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

marthyrarth

A mate of mine travelled on the Eueope last Saturday early morning out back 21:00 or approx from Rosslare.

He was very and mentioned a lot of rust and rusty decks.  Also a number f facilities were closed eg.BArista,and food was not served for a short time on each crossing.

In addition ngangway in ROsslare and no use of upstairs lounge

Considering it was EAster and recent refit rust and lacof facilities was not acceptable.

giftgrub

Could be wrong but I think the 21:00 ex Rosslare depending on bookings does operate a reduced level of available facilities.

Assume deck railings are areas that are rusted, these were previously kept maintained by onboard crew during summer months, incl varnishing wood on top, assume these will be done while in service.

Passenger Gangway in Rosslare has been out of action for awhile and unlikely to be used again.

marthyrarth

Thing is my mate was very critical of his trip.  if there is a reduced service on board then surely this should be mentoned like po lite nights?  Also it was during Easter week.

As for the railings, if they are manintained by the crew then shouldn't they a;ways be in top condition?

Stena have a habit of port gangways failing and being slow in getting port authorities repair them - I had Annwyl awful trip in Harwich having to walk up from bottom car deck with two cases........

I don't think the crew have that hard a schedule on the Europe 12 hours on/off, so a better service would have been appreciated, especially if competing with Irish Frries.  I'm also concerned thatthe new Stena builds show very little passenger accommodation.

welsh weather

The Rosslare Gangway is infact operated and owned by Rosslare Europort who have devised its cheaper to have busses taking passengers off than fixing it.