stena europe

Started by cosseric.coss, June 01, 2013, 10:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think will happen to Stena Europe?

Total Members Voted: 15

cosseric.coss

Hi all,
I have just seen on marinetraffic.com that stena europe is docked on berth 2 with her bow in/on berth and i contacted stena in rosslare and thay said its due to a problem with the stern door... andy got and pics of her docked this way?

loch garman

that stern door problem has been going on all week..they dont seem to be able to sort it out..

i think this has happened before aswell??  :D

cosseric.coss

so anyone got any pics of stena europe & inishmore docked thi way?

Caoimhin_McGuinnes

me thinks its time for the stena europe to go ?? !! Shes having problems to much ! :-? :-? :-?

cosseric.coss

Yes i agree with you
Stena Hss Explorer Freight it is time she was replaced with a newer and up to date ferry. I think a good ship to replace her would be either the Stena Lagan or the Stena Nordica???
The Irish Ferries vessel "Normandy" was built at the same time as the Stena Europe and she has been scraped a few years ago and STena Europe still in operation... I dont see why they just cant replace her now????????

lynx1

yes i agree too, over 30 years old now it has to go

Osian

QuoteHi all,
I have just seen on marinetraffic.com that stena europe is docked on berth 2 with her bow in/on berth and i contacted stena in rosslare and thay said its due to a problem with the stern door... andy got and pics of her docked this way?
Basicly the door is nackard. no clue when it be fixed but it will probably be done during a quite time or in docking. it cannot wait till january

larry

unfortunately i think she will have to go at this stage, that being said i wouldnt rule out it being chartered off to somewhere else where its more suited, id hate to see it scrapped, if stena lay it up then id say it wont see action again

Collision-course

Quotedont see why they just cant replace her now????????

Stena have a problem with investment in its Rosslare - Fishguard service in that they spent 3 years selling below cost to put a certain Cork based operation out of business , so not only was the route not generating any reserves , but at the same time was depleting reserves built up over the previous few years , this basically means that Stena do not have an available ship to transfer to the route and its financial position does not support the purchase of another ship to service the route , in short , unless something changes with regard the financial position of the route , Stena Europe will remain in service there until something major happens to it.
And that boys and girls is why below cost selling in the transport sector is a bad idea.

20knots

I've no wish to be unduly pessimistic but is it possible to quantify what risk exists of the entire route closing?

Or  is an indefinite period of struggling along as best as is possible the order of the day?

Could the Europe be rejuvenated mechanically to a certain extent giving her several more years?

Osian

QuoteI've no wish to be unduly pessimistic but is it possible to quantify what risk exists of the entire route closing?

OrĀ  is an indefinite period of struggling along as best as is possible the order of the day?

Could the Europe be rejuvenated mechanically to a certain extent giving her several more years?
Due to other investments in the port they will not close the port. this is because they brought a lot of land and its now weeks away from being built.
MV Stena Europe i think has had it. now it can only moor with its front door. its sad but i think its comming to the end of its time in fishguard  :'(.
But i think there will be another ship replacing it soon

lynx1

there are fixing it on crossing, should be fixed within the next 10-12 days

Osian

Quotethere are fixing it on crossing, should be fixed within the next 10-12 days
can they do it while its moving? never thought they could. But this shows us that the ship is showing its age

lynx1

the problem is on the inside not the outside of the ship so they can do it while they are crossing

Osian

Quotethe problem is on the inside not the outside of the ship so they can do it while they are crossing
fair enough