Swift to be replaced

Started by IFPete, October 09, 2015, 12:22:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IFPete

There is a rumour doing the rounds in Irish Ferries that the Jonathan Swift has been sold,

Rumour is that it will be replaced by a much bigger vessel capable of up to three round trips per day.

possible candidates are

Austal Autoexpress 113   Possibly Huakai Catamaran
United States Maritime Administration after bankruptcy and abandonment of the ship by Hawaii Superferry
Hawaii Still under construction

Alternatives capable of 27 knots
Gothland / Visby
Viking Express
Tallink Shuttle

ferryfan

I read that Mols-linien have placed an order for an new 112metre fast craft with Incat Katexpress3. So that will free up one of their other vessels presumably HSC Max Mols sister to the former P&O Express. It would be fantastic to get a craft like Katexpress 1 or 2 on the Irish Sea they can carry over 400 cars and upto 1200 passengers with a service speed of 40 knots.

IFPete

I suspect Irish Ferries will want a bow and stern loader like the swift but bigger so it can run at higher wave heights and take bigger loads, particularly at weekends.

PaddyL

There are few fast craft with bow and stern doors like the Swift.

There are actually few vessels around for next year so time will tell.

Steam Packet

Villum Clausen could be available, as far as I know she is only retained by BornholmerFaergen to act largely as a back-up vessel for Leonora Christina, who should have settled into service by now.

I think she has a slightly larger capacity than Jonathan Swift, and a different propulsion system. She is also a Ro-Ro, and I think her different propulsion makes her more efficient.

Though it would be strange for Irish Ferries to replace Jonathan Swift with a slightly larger sister. Maybe their long term plan is to get themselves a Leonora Christina.

Fast Ferry Fan

Quote from: IFPete on October 09, 2015, 12:22:01 AM
There is a rumour doing the rounds in Irish Ferries that the Jonathan Swift has been sold,

Rumour is that it will be replaced by a much bigger vessel capable of up to three round trips per day.

Wow - is the market really that strong?

Could Stena let them have Explorer's birth at Holyhead?

If it is, fair dues to them.  They're in a prime position to take up all the slack, and have the market all to themselves.

IFPete

There is a partially built 113 in Mobile Alabama. It was being built as Huakai for Hawaiian Superferry who went into administration. It could be Swift is being traded back to Austal as part of the delivery of the new ferry.

The Huakai would be designed to operate in high wave conditions.

Steven

Quote from: IFPete on October 09, 2015, 12:22:01 AM
Alternatives capable of 27 knots
Gothland / Visby
Viking Express
Tallink Shuttle
Also, Stena Superfast X, Stena Superfast VII, Stena Superfast VIII - all designed to operate at over 27 kts.  Malo Seaways is capable of 26 in service, as this was a requirement when she was designed as European Ambassador.  Any such deployment would easily be countered by Stena, who just have to run existing tonnage faster.  In theory, even Epsilon could be run at over 24 kts.

Quote from: IFPete on October 09, 2015, 11:36:18 PM
There is a partially built 113 in Mobile Alabama. It was being built as Huakai for Hawaiian Superferry who went into administration. It could be Swift is being traded back to Austal as part of the delivery of the new ferry.

The Huakai would be designed to operate in high wave conditions.

Huakai was purchased by the US Navy along with the other Hawaiian super ferry vessel (a smaller 107m almost sister) in 2012, and is currently called USNS Guam.  She is based in Philadelphia, where she is stored (as at present) when not in use transporting troops around the world, etc (she is a JHSV, like the others being built for the USN at Mobile).

http://www.saipantribune.com/index.php/navy-renames-ferry-to-usns-guam/

She looks like this, these days

Quote from: Fast Ferry Fan on October 09, 2015, 11:29:32 PM

Wow - is the market really that strong?

Could Stena let them have Explorer's birth at Holyhead?

If it is, fair dues to them.  They're in a prime position to take up all the slack, and have the market all to themselves.

No, and no.  Passenger wise, growth is low.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

TC

I thin IF's best bet is to roll Epsilon's trade and Swift's into one. A new purpose built vessel would probably be the best bet. Regarding a third ship at Holyhead, I would be a little sceptical. Two large super-ferries operated by both operators would probably be sufficient, given crossing times.

I wouldn't knock Gotland or Visby, they do lack cabins, and their interior is a bit fast ferry. However a comprehensive refit might solve that problem. I recall IF's Normandy had a block of cabins installed during her Sealink days, when operating out of Harwich.   

Even for Stena alone, two large vessels would be better. Superfast X is a little small in my opinion. Her lane-meters are the same as the 'Nordica', the only benefit is for passengers having that more plush interior. To be honest I thought Nordica struggled a lot in terms of passenger accommodation, and I personally thought it took its toll on her interior, the forward lounge / bar looked a bit tired when you compared her to other Stena vessels. I personally didn't like how the forward lounge was cut in two. I think P&O were a bit smarter in that respect, keeping the truck drivers lounge towards the stern, and keeping the sea views for passengers.   

Matt73

Quote from: TC on October 12, 2015, 12:31:00 PM
I thin IF's best bet is to roll Epsilon's trade and Swift's into one. A new purpose built vessel would probably be the best bet. Regarding a third ship at Holyhead, I would be a little sceptical. Two large super-ferries operated by both operators would probably be sufficient, given crossing times.

I wouldn't knock Gotland or Visby, they do lack cabins, and their interior is a bit fast ferry. However a comprehensive refit might solve that problem. I recall IF's Normandy had a block of cabins installed during her Sealink days, when operating out of Harwich.   

Even for Stena alone, two large vessels would be better. Superfast X is a little small in my opinion. Her lane-meters are the same as the 'Nordica', the only benefit is for passengers having that more plush interior. To be honest I thought Nordica struggled a lot in terms of passenger accommodation, and I personally thought it took its toll on her interior, the forward lounge / bar looked a bit tired when you compared her to other Stena vessels. I personally didn't like how the forward lounge was cut in two. I think P&O were a bit smarter in that respect, keeping the truck drivers lounge towards the stern, and keeping the sea views for passengers.   

The large block of cabins added to the IF Normandy were actually added by Stena when they thought they would operate her on the Gothenburg-Kiel route.  In the event, she was chartered to Sealink for Harwich-Hook.  The Stena Europe had a similar operation as Kronprissan Victoria as she operated the Kiel route for many years.  Those cabins were removed for Fishguard operation I think.

Matt

MVW85

off topic really talking about Stena but regarding the difference in lounge on the Nordica, the only reason it was done as due to the amount of freight we carried on her the lounge was turned into an overspill lounge for the freight drivers and wen it was queiter it was for passengers, could really do anymore to her so she was worked to best that we could with her. There is a market for more friehgt capacity I for one hope that Stena bring a freight only ship on a round trip per day. The Superfast X is constantly full and has been for some months and it doesn't look like letting up

ftp://
Quote from: Matt73 on October 13, 2015, 01:28:46 PM
Quote from: TC on October 12, 2015, 12:31:00 PM

The large block of cabins added to the IF Normandy were actually added by Stena when they thought they would operate her on the Gothenburg-Kiel route.  In the event, she was chartered to Sealink for Harwich-Hook.  The Stena Europe had a similar operation as Kronprissan Victoria as she operated the Kiel route for many years.  Those cabins were removed for Fishguard operation I think.

Matt

TC

Its just my theory, but wouldn't two vessels, lets say the size of Ulysses, or Stena Adventurer, suit the short hop from Holyhead to Dublin, better than three medium size vessels?

Regarding Irish Ferries - Ulysses & a sister ship (though with a little more freight capacity) might work better, and would be more profit making than trying to run three vessels.

(I will briefly mention Stena) - Two purpose built vessels ordered, 4000 LM, Passenger Capacity - 1100. Stena Adventurer & Superfast X moves to the Baltic to replace aging / chartered vessels. New vessels could be built by Samsung in Korea to help curtail costs.   

DublinPeter

IF have made no secret of the fact that they would be replacing Swift at some point with a newer Fastcraft.  This goes back to comments from ICG a couple of years ago now.  While notionally the two larger ship model would appear to be more efficient, you need to take a look as the different markets being chased.  Swift provides a particular product to a particular segment of the leisure market and operates pretty profitably by all accounts.  Lose the product, lose the profitable segment and the margin it brings.  IF have been very lucky with Swift (in fairness mainly due to their own high maintenance standards) in that she has been very mechanically reliable going back 15 years now.  That's pretty impressive and I can't imagine they will sell her until it doesn't make sense to keep her anymore!

Pete

TC

Good point, but look north and despite best efforts P&O had to call it quits with the 'P&O Express'.

Express was getting I think around 60 to 80 cars on each crossing. I wouldn't snub that, but it doesn't justify such a type of vessel, and such a thirsty one. In many respects I'm sure they could be accommodated on the European Highlander / European Causeway.

P&O had a shorter crossing to contend with, and Express's departure wasn't a mechanical or maintenance issue. Unfortunately the economics (despite the routes popularity) of operating the vessel basically has been a drain on P&O Irish Sea.

The North Channel could easily be turned around with far more competitive rates, that literally give the competition a run for their money. Liverpool to Dublin is in many respects has become a huge asset and could be grown.

But how does this tie in with Irish Ferries your probably wondering? Well Irish Ferries like P&O have a fast craft, and two conventional ferries, Stena have 2 also capable vessels. But lets say Stena decide to upgrade, and move the existing vessels to Scandinavia and replace them with two new vessels similar to Stena Britannica and Hollandica. Irish Ferries would be in a similar predicament to P&O on the North Channel, i.e. an already effected conventional service having to prop up a HSC that has become surplus to requirements.

Your right about market segmentation, and the logic is there, like P&O's Express. The Larne to Troon crossing was quick, cut out poor roads, offered a good level of service, and made the journey to Glasgow etc significantly quicker. But at the end of the day P&O, despite being well motivated, couldn't drop the prices enough to make her attractive. People in the 21st century literally want it as cheap as possible, but with the best level of service. They couldn't care if the vessel is flying the flag of the Bahamas, or Bermuda, with an outsourced crew, PPS is all that matters - Price, Product, and Service. I never like to compare crews, but I have to admit P&O's Filipino crew gave my Stena experience a run for its money. They were spot on, but it leaves room for thought. Stena Britannica and Hollandica I believe are mainly Filipino crewed, along with P&O North Sea who have been opting for Filipino crews for the guts of 20 years. Additionally it will be interesting to see if Stena copy P&O and flag the fleet out.     

Stena with larger ships, and not having to subsidies a HSC, were able to offer better deals to the public on the North Channel, basically undercutting P&O, not by a great deal, but enough to swing the public. Moving the operation to just two ships, which will be significantly cheaper to run, but still with good levels of passenger service, P&O should be able to hit back at Stena with much better prices.

Irish Ferries do need to keep pace, Stena's presence on the French run is disconcerting, I'm sure they are more of an adversary than wee Celtic Link. Regarding Holyhead, if Stena followed the same approach as what they have been perusing on the North Channel, but with big ships like Britannica, Irish Ferries could soon become undercut, in all areas, passenger and freight. Swift would become like the Express a toothache. A drain on resources that despite appearing theoretically like the companies secret weapon, in reality it only serves to hamper what offers the company can provide.   

IFPete

The entent of upgrading the Swift with a reliable replacement would be to allow Epsilon and Ulysses to concentrate on freight and allow the replacement ferry concentrate on passenger , cars, coaches and tourist traffic.

Swift has effectively replaced the old Dun Laoire - Holyhead mailboat over the years and is attractive to car and coach traffic because it can operate the service in two hours.

Irish Ferries stated about a year ago that they would replace the swift in 3 to 4 years, however if a suitable replacement vessel has become available they may have decided to act sooner given the growth in the irish economy.