Fishguard redevelopment getting closer

Started by giftgrub, September 15, 2015, 11:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IFPete

This might coinside with Stena Europes rumoured upgrade.

Collision-course

While the project being cancelled looks bad, a jump in costs from £6 million to £20 million is significant and any management worth its salt would have to look again at a project running that much over cost.
I cant see Stena closing Fishguard only just having committed to transferring Stena Superfast X to the route when E-Flexer 1 comes onstream next year, more likely given the cost over run which most likely resulted from unexpected problems arising from the current plan, that Stena are going back to the drawing board with regards upgrading Fishguard, while its not impossible, I could not see Irish Ferries and Stena Line sharing Pembroke Dock.

lynx1

why would they, stena own fishguard plus they would use more fuel sailing from pembroke

Steven

To be blunt the route has been doubtful for years.  If its going to cost £20m just to make the port suitable plus the cost of putting in a replacement vessel perhaps they might just walk away.

Quote from: Collision-course on June 14, 2018, 07:11:20 PM
While the project being cancelled looks bad, a jump in costs from £6 million to £20 million is significant and any management worth its salt would have to look again at a project running that much over cost.
I cant see Stena closing Fishguard only just having committed to transferring Stena Superfast X to the route when E-Flexer 1 comes onstream next year, more likely given the cost over run which most likely resulted from unexpected problems arising from the current plan, that Stena are going back to the drawing board with regards upgrading Fishguard, while its not impossible, I could not see Irish Ferries and Stena Line sharing Pembroke Dock.

Stena made no commitment to move X to the route, at best it was a rumour based on the fact that there's nowhere really that suitable for her in the Stena Line network.  In any case X would appear to be out now anyway!

With regard to upgrading Europe, thats not going to come cheap for a vessel which has a book value of effectively zero.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

giftgrub

20 million Sterling to replace a ramp seems more than a tad expensive, its beyond my comprehension of what you get for your money but they built Loch Ryan port for a claimed 80 million before the Superfasts arrived on the North Channel, which was a complete ferryport developed from scratch, to build a single deck Linkspan for 20 million is way beyond what they were planning.

Would imagine they could build for much less.

Steven

Quote from: giftgrub on June 15, 2018, 12:09:37 AM
20 million Sterling to replace a ramp seems more than a tad expensive, its beyond my comprehension of what you get for your money but they built Loch Ryan port for a claimed 80 million before the Superfasts arrived on the North Channel, which was a complete ferryport developed from scratch, to build a single deck Linkspan for 20 million is way beyond what they were planning.

It wasn't just a linkspan replacement though but a redevelopment of the berth which also included other improvements which would have allowed the port to accommodate larger vessels such as new dolphins, land reclamation, brand new approach to the linkspan, etc.  LRP was a blank canvas whereas Fishguard is very much not.  For example the old linkspan, approach, support structures, and all mechanical elements were to be removed.  It was more than just a case of towing in a new ramp on a barge and connecting it to the existing infrastructure as happened at Holyhead recently for example.

IFPete

Its up to Pembrokeshire council to develop a new port in Milford Haven both Irish Ferries and Stena can use.

I dont see Stena justifying a move to Pembroke Dock which has its tidal issues as well,

IFPete

If Rosslare - Fishguard closes will Irish Ferries go to two ship operation on Rosslare - Pembroke for Summer 2019.

Steven

Quote from: IFPete on June 15, 2018, 12:02:42 PM
Its up to Pembrokeshire council to develop a new port in Milford Haven both Irish Ferries and Stena can use.

I dont see Stena justifying a move to Pembroke Dock which has its tidal issues as well,
Some say Milford Haven would rather be shot of the ferry service all together tbh.

Quote from: IFPete on June 15, 2018, 06:00:05 PM
If Rosslare - Fishguard closes will Irish Ferries go to two ship operation on Rosslare - Pembroke for Summer 2019.

Suitable available tonnage would be an issue, and to be honest would it really be worth their while for a couple of months a year and the occasional sport fixture?   The current Fishguard linkspan still has a few years left in it anyway, and Stena haven't yet said they are going anywhere yet. As things stand the port looks to be on borrowed time, but things could change.  Perhaps given the nature of traffic on the route they are waiting on more clarity on future trade before making such a major spending commitment.  There's always the chance the government could assist in some way in exchange for a long term commitment I suppose as well.

IFPete

The region could qualify for special grants

20knots

Quote from: Steven on June 15, 2018, 05:34:55 AM
Quote from: giftgrub on June 15, 2018, 12:09:37 AM

It wasn't just a linkspan replacement though but a redevelopment of the berth which also included other improvements which would have allowed the port to accommodate larger vessels such as new dolphins, land reclamation, brand new approach to the linkspan, etc.  LRP was a blank canvas whereas Fishguard is very much not.  For example the old linkspan, approach, support structures, and all mechanical elements were to be removed.  It was more than just a case of towing in a new ramp on a barge and connecting it to the existing infrastructure as happened at Holyhead recently for example.

With all due respect surely the salient issue here is that work originally estimated to cost £6M Stg jumped to £20M. That represents over a trebling of costs and raises quite valid questions as to why there is such a giant difference of cost. No wrongdoing is implied but there is one heck of a difference between 6 million and 20 million.

lynx1

it was 20m for the ship and linkspan, only 12m was quoted for the linkspan

giftgrub

Quote from: lynx1 on June 25, 2018, 07:20:14 PM
it was 20m for the ship and linkspan, only 12m was quoted for the linkspan

What were they getting for the 8m extra ?

Still think 12m to replace Linkspan is very expensive (not that I have any background in civil engineering)