Fishguard redevelopment getting closer

Started by giftgrub, September 15, 2015, 11:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giftgrub

Quote from: lynx1 on January 25, 2018, 02:33:04 PM
stena have now pulled out of the marina plan for fishguard   http://www.westerntelegraph.co.uk/news/15897277.Multi_million_Fishguard_marina_plans_collapse_after_Stena_Line_pulls_out/

Could actually be good news for the ferry port, always thought demand for a Marina/apartments in Fishguard would have limited any future port development, ball is in Stena Lines court now to invest in the port and move Fishguard forward.

From the article in Western Telegraph

Niclas MÃ¥rtensson, CEO of Stena Line, said: "We have had a constructive cooperation with Conygar and we feel that we have given valuable contributions to the project during seven years.

"But after reviewing our operations and based on the developments we are planning on the Irish Sea we have taken the decision to withdraw from this marina development project because we need to focus all resources on our core business.

"We are fully committed to a long-term future for our ferry operations from Fishguard to Rosslare which can be demonstrated by our plans for significant investments".

And another article on the announcement

http://pembrokeshire-herald.com/41313/stena-conygar-withdraw-fishguard-development/

rubberduck

I too am  pleased that this Marina Dev has been shelved. It was never a good idea, in the wrong place and would never have brought the promised wealth to the area. BUT what next. People here in Goodwick and Fishguard have mixed feelings and are now worried that Stena will pull out. I am pretty sure that it wont as it wants to concentrate on the cruise ships but have you any inside information please which would be gratefully received. Its been such a long wet winter here...I am fed up with the rain and I think that although this is a positive outcome and we can move forward then people need some good news....thx

A487

Quote from: rubberduck on January 27, 2018, 11:45:35 AM
I too am  pleased that this Marina Dev has been shelved. It was never a good idea, in the wrong place and would never have brought the promised wealth to the area. BUT what next. People here in Goodwick and Fishguard have mixed feelings and are now worried that Stena will pull out. I am pretty sure that it wont as it wants to concentrate on the cruise ships but have you any inside information please which would be gratefully received. Its been such a long wet winter here...I am fed up with the rain and I think that although this is a positive outcome and we can move forward then people need some good news....thx

The future of Fishguard should be secure for the foreseeable future as Stena are progressing with a new linkspan. See info in the attached public link: https://www.sell2wales.gov.wales/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=OCT217849

The plans call for demolition of the old linkspan and construction of a new single level linkspan albeit designed to include an upper level in the future to facilitate bi-level vessels and loading/unloading. No guarantee of a new vessel or capacity but a step in the right direction.

giftgrub

Having read through documents a few pointers

Proposed linkspan cost 5 Million Sterling

Ferry services from Fishguard to be suspended from 1st Feb to 30th April 2019

Main Linkspan to be replaced by much wider set up

Second level side loading ramp to be retained

First level of linkspan being ordered now, if second level required, will be separate order.

Preparation works can begin before ferry services suspended

Final date for contractors to apply was November 2017

(More info on this than in any previous info related to separate Marina development by Conygar, would give the impression that this is going ahead.)

RorieLen

Quote from: giftgrub on January 29, 2018, 11:41:04 PM

First level of linkspan being ordered now, if second level required, will be separate order.

(More info on this than in any previous info related to separate Marina development by Conygar, would give the impression that this is going ahead.)

Very interesting indeed... do you have links to any specific documents regarding these developments?

PaddyL

The 4 month service suspension quoted would seem rather unusual for either port upgrades or ship upgrades.

Matt73

Quote from: RorieLen on January 30, 2018, 08:03:43 AM
Quote from: giftgrub on January 29, 2018, 11:41:04 PM

Very interesting indeed... do you have links to any specific documents regarding these developments?

Thank you for sharing these.  As others have said, this implies the route has a future for some time to come with or without the Europe.  The orignal linkspan dates from 1972, if memory serves, which is a tribute to the those who built and maintained it.  It's my view that a lot of port redevelopment ought to have been undertaken in the 80s and 90s.  I spent a wonderful week at Fishguard on work experience in the summer of 1989 and it struck me then that it was crying out for some money to be spent.  Given that the port managed to berth the Felicity and the wonderful Koningin Beatrix, it's coped admirably all these years.  I haven't been back since 1989 but hope to during the summer.

Matt

giftgrub

Re details on new Linkspan

Log in details for the submission are on the link provided by A487 above, username and password are on the first page.

With reference to the three months shutdown, not a builder or engineer but working in a tidal area for three months is surely plenty of time to remove old Linkspan and build new much larger Linkspan and related structures.

Ferry service could obviously use Pembroke for the time building works are going on as boats no longer on same timetables.

To be fair to Fishguard having been in Holyhead, Dublin Port and Rosslare, there is not a lot wrong, my only potential issue is the lanes in the marshalling area while waiting for the ferry are narrow, cars have got much bigger over the years (also some of the people using the cars seem to be bigger !)

They have two nice modern waiting areas, one before and one after check in and refreshments are available, they even have a foot passenger gangway and a train right beside the ferry, not too many ferry ports can offer that now.

lynx1

The europe will be going to spain or portugal next year for dry dock for approx 3mths, paint being taken back to the metal, new mes system put in, all new windows put in, new flood doors on main deck  put it, spending approx 10m on it.

Matt73

Quote from: lynx1 on January 30, 2018, 10:22:40 PM
The europe will be going to spain or portugal next year for dry dock for approx 3mths, paint being taken back to the metal, new mes system put in, all new windows put in, new flood doors on main deck  put it, spending approx 10m on it.

Thanks for this!  A little bit like the Danica, they clearly want to squeeze every last bit of life out of her.  Why spend a fortune on a new ship, when you can sweat the existing assets?!

Matt

rubberduck

NathanBrady

Dey can save money and use the crane thats der already ha ha