Rosslare Harbour History In Pictures

Started by larry, June 21, 2013, 01:33:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

larry

Hi there, being a harbour nut as I am I have began to upload pics from my various books and sooner or later some of my own pics capturing the Harbours growth visitors, and everything else.

These pics hail from various books as described in the album and more will be added as I find the time, feel free to enjoy them, credits to the respective snappers too.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151551115690674.1073741834.553960673&type=3

If you cant see them just add me on Facebook thats no problem, it is after all a Facebook album as Photobucket has become terrible :)

Osian

this ship opertates between holyhead and where the factory is in france right?

Osian

And was this from her Madden Voyage?

Nice pictues anyway   ;)

Kieran

Not Holyhead, Bristol. She's used to carry the wings.

Osian

fair enogh - not good with my planes.

larry

not certain about it being her maiden voyage, i dont think it was there was some other occasion going on if i recall correctly

Osian

was it to do with the 100th anniversary of fishguard harbor? in 2006?

larry

hmm that could indeed be it, i do remember her being all dressed up for something or other, cant remember what, it could have been something to do with the queen either

loughro

Actually she operates from Mostyn, North Wales, as the wings for the A380 are manufactured at the Airbus facility in Howarden (near Chester). The wings are loaded onto a barge which then travels out the estuary where they are transshipped onto these ships for the journey to France. The vessels are owned by LDA the parent company of LD Lines.

larry

i recall some other unique visitors from the eighties, mainly cargo/car transporters too but i cant recall names, there were a couple with 'sun' in the title, autosun or some jazz

Davy Jones

Actually she operates from Mostyn, North Wales, as the wings for the A380 are manufactured at the Airbus facility in Howarden (near Chester). The wings are loaded onto a barge which then travels out the estuary where they are transshipped onto these ships for the journey to France. The vessels are owned by LDA the parent company of LD Lines.

The barge is a custom built job with both low draught and low height to be able to fit under the road bridge near RAF Sealand, and belongs to Holyhead Towing Co, which is probably where the confusion arises.

http://www.holyheadtowing.co.uk/vessels/afon-dyfrdwy/?7

Osian

i thought the factory was in Angel-sea and that they used Holyhead as when i was watching a documentary on it, they said  it was very close to Holyhead

Collision-course

QuoteAnd was this from her Madden Voyage?

Nice pictues anyway   ;)

I seem to recall that when Stena Europe arrived at Rosslare it was a huge disappointment to people used to the 2 previous ships on that route.

larry

The felicity and Beatrix were massively hard acts to follow although i think up until recently she's really done a fantastic job

anyhow lots more pics added to the rosslare harbour folder and  if rosslare harbour bores you i also have this folder of random scanned ferry pics, lots of which served in ireland at one point or another
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151561008130674.1073741837.553960673&type=3

larry