Irish Ferries Enthusiasts | Forum

X

Trouble logging in? Click here

Stena Line fleet movements(Read 1504521 times)
Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1275 on: February 16, 2014, 11:41:57 pm
RE Stena's ships transfering to Northern Marine Management.  I don't think its been mentioned on here before, but NMM is a part of the Stena "empire".  I guess it makes sense not to duplicate something which is already in the group (said with my managers "hat" on).

Any word on Trinacria and Partenope, and specifically are they staying with TTT lines?

Visit of Stena Performer to Twelve Quays....

http://www.irishseashipping.com/photofeatures/shipco/stena/performer090214/performer090214.htm
Strange seeing her on the "wrong" river!

I believe this is the exact reason. A few of the Stena Line ships in the Irish Sea have been with NMM or over a year (Precision/Performer and the Hibernia). Also, the Stena Lagan and Stena Mersey have been in Crew Management since last October i believe. As NMM is one of the "Stena Sphere's" strongest performing companies, it is perfectly logical to have the technical management done by them.

I see the Stena Hibernia is in Cairnryan tonight. Might take a wee drive down if shes going to be back in March, just for a nosey!

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1276 on: February 17, 2014, 03:25:04 pm
Stena Lagan and Mersey have sailed light today in order to reposition (Monday is the layover day on the Birkenhead service).  I believe the reason for this is that Lagan has an MCA drill and MES deployment in Belfast next Monday and so needs to be back on her own roster in order to be in Belfast next week.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1277 on: February 17, 2014, 08:23:01 pm
Trincaria and Partenope have been chartered back to TTT Line, the length of that charter has not been disclosed, the former Hoa Sen - Stena Egeria has been in drydock in Shanghai since the end of last year, so is probably having some major rebuilding work carried out for whatever job they have planned for it. One thing is they are not going to be converted for bow opening/double deck loading configuration as the quotes were astronomical given the ferries purchase price.

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1278 on: February 18, 2014, 12:27:14 am
Dont think it has been reported before, but apologies if it has.

Stena Line are to leave the current terminal in Gothenburg for ferries to Denmark in 2020.  The company have signed a new lease with the city which explicitly states there can be no renewal of the lease.  Current speculation is that the Denmark services will move to the Germany terminal. Meanwhile it has been reported that traffic through Gothenburg has increased for the first time in 3 years.  Current speculation is that the Denmark services will move to the Germany terminal.

http://www.porttechnology.org/news/gothenburg_ro_ro_traffic_up_for_first_time_in_three_years

It seems that the Irish Sea crews are not the only ones to be affected by cost cutting.  Reports from Sweden suggest that Stena are to make cuts to crews in order to save SEK 1.3M by 2015

http://www.gp.se/nyheter/goteborg/1.2269199-stena-varslar-befal-pa-farjorna

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1279 on: February 18, 2014, 02:45:46 pm
So where does this leave the HSS Carisma?  There was much speculation that she might not make a return this year and she doesn't appear at all on the booking system for 2014. Would leave Explorer feeling a bit vulnerable on Dun Laoghaire - Holyhead....

Pete

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1280 on: February 18, 2014, 02:57:54 pm
So where does this leave the HSS Carisma?  There was much speculation that she might not make a return this year and she doesn't appear at all on the booking system for 2014. Would leave Explorer feeling a bit vulnerable on Dun Laoghaire - Holyhead....

Pete

Its pretty certain that Carisma is NOT going to sail this year.  Whilst there has been nothing official from Stena that I am aware of, its well known that she simply costs too much to run (see my earlier).  It would be cheaper to run another (much larger) conventional vessel on to the link! AFAIK it has been confirmed that Explorer will continue to run, however whether that remains to be the case is anybody's guess.  Carisma uses entirely different engines btw to the HSS1500, with the main thing in common between the 1500 and 900 being the hull form.  The parts from Voyager could keep Explorer running for a few years yet whereas Carisma is a unique vessel.

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1281 on: February 18, 2014, 07:57:43 pm
Thanks Steven,

Seems to be a deal done in Dun Laoghaire for HSS for 2014 and 2015 at least which is a good sign.  Will be a shame to see Carisma withdrawn though - I've never seen her up close but she looks like a nifty little thing.  Wonder how she would handle the Irish Sea :)

Pete

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1282 on: February 19, 2014, 01:05:43 am
Unlike the HSS 1500's Stena Carisma stands a good chance of being sold for further use by another operator.

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1283 on: February 19, 2014, 10:16:35 am
Not a fleet movement as such, but it does involve Stena!

StockMarketWire.com - Conygar Investment Company has been given planning consent for the Holyhead Waterfront development by Isle of Anglesey County Council.

The proposed development, which is a joint venture with Stena Line Ports, consists of a 500 berth marina; 252 waterfront apartments; 74 houses; an 80 bed hotel; 8 waterfront commercial/leisure units (total 4,040 square metres); a sail training/youth centre; a maritime museum; parking and winter boat storage and associated landscaping and green space.

Chief executive Robert Ware said: "We are pleased to secure the planning consent and believe that the continued improvement in the housing market will very much benefit our development which in turn will create much needed employment opportunities and attract new businesses to the area both during construction and thereafter. - See more at: http://www.stockmarketwire.com/article/4758522/Conygar-gets-go-ahead-for-Holyhead-development.html#sthash.Ejlcwn1a.dpuf

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1284 on: February 19, 2014, 06:09:33 pm

Pete

Its pretty certain that Carisma is NOT going to sail this year.  Whilst there has been nothing official from Stena that I am aware of, its well known that she simply costs too much to run (see my earlier).  It would be cheaper to run another (much larger) conventional vessel on to the link! AFAIK it has been confirmed that Explorer will continue to run, however whether that remains to be the case is anybody's guess.  Carisma uses entirely different engines btw to the HSS1500, with the main thing in common between the 1500 and 900 being the hull form.  The parts from Voyager could keep Explorer running for a few years yet whereas Carisma is a unique vessel.

Just came across the fuel consumption figures for Stena's high speed ferries whilst doing some research for my new website.  These are taken from Stena Line - The Story of a Ferry Company (p.358)

HSS 1500: 480t/24hr
HSS 900: 270t/24hr
Stena Lynx 3 (Incat 81m) 115t/24hr

So basically Carisma has over twice the consumption of a 1996 built 81m InCat, but less than a third extra car and passenger capacity (900 pax vs 670 and 212 cars vs 148).  The difference between Swift and Explorer in consumption must be huge!

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1285 on: February 19, 2014, 09:41:00 pm
The HSS quoted fuel consumption figures are for when they were running at the original operating speed, as they now throttle back the Explorer, the figures have improved but are still horrendous compared to regular vessels.

Unfortunately for the HSS900 Carisma it also uses a version of the HSS linkspan which limits the future use of the vessel as it also needs the purchaser to buy the linkspans for docking etc, the Incats and Austals can be easily modified for most linkspans quite easily which allows them to switch ports relatively easily.

Interesting image of the Stena Batica on the next edition of the Shippax Magazine
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 09:44:01 pm by giftgrub »

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1286 on: February 19, 2014, 10:22:50 pm
The HSS quoted fuel consumption figures are for when they were running at the original operating speed, as they now throttle back the Explorer, the figures have improved but are still horrendous compared to regular vessels.

Unfortunately for the HSS900 Carisma it also uses a version of the HSS linkspan which limits the future use of the vessel as it also needs the purchaser to buy the linkspans for docking etc, the Incats and Austals can be easily modified for most linkspans quite easily which allows them to switch ports relatively easily.

Interesting image of the Stena Batica on the next edition of the Shippax Magazine

Looks good!  Wish I could afford to subscribe to CFI, but at £20 ish per issue its a bit beyond my financial means!

Even though the figures quoted are for full speed, so are the InCat's (OK, there is a 3kn difference in favour of the HSS) so it still shows there is a huge discrepancy in fuel consumption between the InCat catamaran and the HSS. 

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1287 on: February 21, 2014, 10:43:58 pm
For those of you on the Ferries of Northern Europe yahoo group, someone purporting to be in the know states that Dieppe Seaways will go to Holyhead with Nordica going to Fishguard when the charter to DFDS (which Stena have taken on) ends towards the end of this year.  How much we should read in to it I don't know but those of you who are members might want to keep an eye to the discussion.

Personally I think Dieppe Seaways running from Dublin makes sense (and if they do the same style of conversion as they did on the other Superfast's Cartour Epsilon will not be able to come close on passenger facilities).  I also think it is just as likely she will be chartered out to Marine Atlantic or similar.  Interestingly (and slightly related) I read in the Shippax Stena History book that Stena Traveller and Trader had originally been earmarked for Belfast to Cairnryan until Marine Atlantic came in to the picture so Stena took the Superfasts on instead after agreeing to charter Traveller and Trader to MA.  Things could have looked very different had things been reversed and Marine Atlantic now had Superfast VII VIII and IV all on charter from Tallink (and potentially SF X on charter from Stena)!

Just to add a bit more to the discussion, I remembered about this release from Tallink towards the end of last year:

Tallink Grupp
Company Announcement Charter of Superfast IX
Tallinn, 2013-08-22 08:50 CEST (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- A subsidiary of AS Tallink Grupp, Baltic SF IX Limited and Marine Atlantic Inc, a Canadian company with the state participation therein, have concluded to extend the charter agreement of Superfast IX for one year, until November 2014. Marine Atlantic Inc plans to continue operating the vessel in the Canadian waters under the name of M/S Atlantic Vision.

M/S Superfast IX has been on the long-term bareboat charter since November 14, 2008
http://www.4-traders.com/TALLINK-GRUPP-AS-6498474/news/Tallink-Grupp-AS--Charter-of-Superfast-IX-17209105/

So the other sister is potentially available from mid November as well.  The DFDS charter started in October 2012 so if it is in its final year she may be available to Stena in October/November the same time as Atlantic Vision is looking for a new home.  Send them to Remontowa for a month or two and we have another pair of Stena Superfast's and the Stena marketing department get all their Christmases at once!  Of course this is all a "what if" scenario that I just thought of, but it does bear some thinking about.  Where to put them though? ;)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 11:00:31 pm by Steven »

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1288 on: February 22, 2014, 01:33:12 pm
I'm glad someone has put it up here, as I learnt about this on the Dover Forum (though nothing has been confirmed). If it does go ahead, then I think it would be the best option for Stena's future on the Irish Sea.
Although both the Stena Nordica and Dieppe Seaways (apparently to be renamed Stena Endeavour) would need a good refit for their respective routes, complete with an internal refurbishment. 

Discussion on the Dover forum has now turned to DFDS' future on the English Channel, which may see them go back just 1 route (Dover-Dunkirk), with the ships being converted to LNG or have then retrofitted with sulphur scrubbers.

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1289 on: February 22, 2014, 02:21:58 pm
The world of speculation is great fun isn't it :)

Thanks to Steven for publishing the fuel consumption figures for the various High Speed Ferries.  I had them before but had lost them.  Apparently the throttle-back of the HSS 1500 saves about 30-35% in consumption so lets say that Explorer now runs at about 350t/24h.  Still a lot obviously but a noticeable difference and running with a decent load makes her a slightly better financial proposition!

The sum I'm trying to do though is to find the point where it would make sense to replace Explorer with Carisma (as has been considered before). Just in the land of speculation of course for this one.  Carisma is more expensive to run than Swift for instance (Swift runs at about 180t/24h apparently) but obviously Swift is a bit smaller (about 15% less capacity) and is not so good in terms of trips missed which has to be factored in too! So Carisma would be about 25% less expensive to run than Explorer (a bit more if she was throttled back to 32knots) but obviously provides less capacity at peak times. 

Realistically, what I'm trying to explore is the possibility of whether Carisma could double trip in the high season when she would traditionally be very busy (so lets say running at 75% loading per sailing as Explorer does at her busy times) and then being cheap enough to single trip off season when she could fill the gap in the day between conventional sailings and take the dozen or so trucks that need a particular timeslot along with the tourist/leisure trippers.

I think Giftgrub mentioned converting Explorer to LNG before which of course would solve all the problems at a stroke but I just wanted to tease out another option!

Pete