Irish Ferries Enthusiasts | Forum

X

Trouble logging in? Click here

Stena Line fleet movements(Read 1504491 times)
Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1245 on: February 09, 2014, 12:25:25 am

Thinking out loud, what would people think of a Stenaified Superfast X on Dublin - Holyhead?

Was thinking when I heard this that if Stena wanted to upset Irish Ferries expansion plans they could replace Stena Nordica with the Superfast.

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1246 on: February 09, 2014, 11:47:01 am
If the Nordica does go to Fishguard, what would she need to compete with the Inishmore? I suppose a lot, but what specifically?

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1247 on: February 09, 2014, 04:12:49 pm
As regarding the Stena Europe when she is eventually replaced.  To my opinon 3 ferries that won,t be ideal for the route  1 The stena Nautica as she will be too small and too slow.  The other 2 the Stena,s Vison & Spirit as they will be far too big.  But what about the Stena Julandica or the Nordica.  With modiforcations to the 2 they are the ones that will be ideal  for the Fishguard to Rosslare  As Stena are good in working with shipyards regarding conversion work.  The other point is is Stena Line comitted in continuing to operate out of Fishguard.  Thats the other thing Stena needs to asked and for Stena to asked around to clients what service do they want from Stena.

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1248 on: February 09, 2014, 06:21:23 pm
The former Stena Seafarer Ant 2 has been joined by the Ant 1 (Stena Pioneer) and Anna Marine (Stena Leader) all former fleetmates of the coast of Aliaga only the Ant 2 has a destination of Aliaga on the ais at the moment though. (three vessels in blue on image attached)

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 06:22:56 pm by giftgrub »

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1249 on: February 09, 2014, 07:03:27 pm
Anna Marine is now destination Aliaga, I would think all three are heading for the beach soon.

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1250 on: February 09, 2014, 07:16:47 pm

Also UNCONFIRMED are rumours that the Stena Vison and Stena Spirit are in line to replace the Stena Saga and Stena Europe in 2015 when they are expected to be replaced on the Karlskrona/Gdynia route by the current Stena Scandinavica / Stena Germanica as the Gothenburg - Kiel route is expected to be closed with the introduction of low sulphur SECA regulations.

Can now confidently state that while the Spirt/Vision may be redeployed within the Stena route network they won't be coming to the Irish Sea. Would also doubt they will be replaced on the route they currently serve as Stena have no other vessels with enough passenger capacity.

Stena RoRo are the purchasers of Dieppe Seaways and the vessel remains on charter with DFDS until November this year, that is unless DFDS  decide to abandon the Dover - Calais bloodbath and get back to concentrating on the Dover - Dunkerque route and terminate the charter early. However it is no beyond the realms of possibility that the former Superfast X could just remain on the charter market generating profit for the company.

Also some nice images of the Stena Performer here:

http://www.irishseashipping.com/photofeatures/shipco/stena/performer090214/performer090214.htm

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 07:18:29 pm by giftgrub »

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1251 on: February 09, 2014, 07:47:28 pm
Well I will be sorry to see these go, great Irish Sea ships, Ant 1-Pandoro Bison (B&I Line), Ant 2-Pandoro Puma & Anna Marine-Pandoro Buffalo, lots of memories  :'(

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1252 on: February 09, 2014, 08:31:46 pm
Anna Marine is now destination Aliaga, I would think all three are heading for the beach soon.

As I expected sadly following seeing the 3 where for sale as a trio :(.  Given their age though its hardly surprising - 39 years is good going!

FWIW I think Jutlandica would be a good fit for the Fishguard run (operating opposite her sister!) and but would Stena want to put her there over somewhere else?  Wouldn't it be epic if they could use her as a train ferry between Rosslare and Fishguard though?! (not likely given the investment required in infrastructure)!

TBH Superfast X wouldn't give Stena much of a capacity increase (except in terms of passengers) over Nordica.  They could operate the service as "kinda fast" instead of Superfast as I dont think they could run the crossing any faster due to crossing times and berth availability.  Another possibility I thought of (IF SF X goes to Stena and her charter not renewed by DFDS) is thus.  As we know, Stena have a long term history of chartering to Marine Atlantic in Canada.  The former Superfast IX currently operates for them as Atlantic Vision and runs opposite Leif Ericsson (the former Stena Challenger) as well as the heavily rebuilt former Stena Trader and Traveler ((on charter from Stena Ro-Ro funilly enough) between Port aux Basques and North Sydney.  As well as having a big difference in speed the Leif Ericson is very much the baby of the fleet in terms capacity and I would also assume facilities, so its not beyond the realms of possibility that SF X could be chartered out to run opposite her sister which would then allow Leif Ericson to be sold on to whoever.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 09:35:45 pm by Steven »
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1253 on: February 09, 2014, 10:13:21 pm
I would be amazed if the Stena Spirit or Vision went to Fishguard, not least because the are actually older than the Europe.  Construction started in 1979/80, even though delivery was delayed until 1986/87.  They have far too much cabin and freight capacity for the route, even after the cabins were removed from the upper freight deck in the most recent refit.  It's a bit like the nonsense a few years ago about the Stena Britannica moving to Fishguard.  If they ever replace the Europe, I would expect to see something a bit newer.

The Kiel-Gothenburg route closure speculation is also of news.  This is one of their oldest and most established services and I thought that the current Germanica and Scandinavica were enjoying good loadings, not least because the Travemunde route was closed in 2010, not to mention the massive redevelopment of the Kiel terminal. 

Perhaps the Dieppe Seaways will replace the Stena Nordica, which could then be released for Fishguard.  That would certainly justify spending some money on the Dieppe Seaways, whose interior was ruined by SeaFrance. 

Does anybody have any news about the proposed Bristol to Cork service?

Matt

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1254 on: February 09, 2014, 10:17:44 pm
Does anybody have any further news on the proposed ship order by Stena?  The so-called EasyJet concept where they have one design of ship which can be used across the fleet.

Thanks.

Matt

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1255 on: February 09, 2014, 10:55:07 pm
Does anybody have any further news on the proposed ship order by Stena?  The so-called EasyJet concept where they have one design of ship which can be used across the fleet.

Thanks.

Matt

Nothing as of yet, but I would not be surprised if they order a batch from Visentini,(I kow the yard is not making ferries at the moment but) I think we can safely say the days of massive cruise ferries (not ignoring Brittany Ferries new order) are over and likes of the Moby Freedom style vessels will become much rarer as time goes on. Imagine a Visentini with bow doors, double deck loading and 1,000 passenger capacity, cheap to run, capable of 24 knots, easy to maintain, able to handle bad weather, easy to lengthen if necessary........

While the Stena Nordica is a perfect match for the Fishguard service when its quiet, it does not have the additional capacity to take the traffic when its busy, before Christmas when the Oscar was cancelled the Europe was running full with max passenger capacity used, thats twice the Nordica's passenger capability. the recently acquired Stena Egeria of Stena RoRo would be a perfect fit. (As long as the standard interior is ripped out and replaced with the Stena version of the Visentinti as seen in the Lagan and Mersey)

http://www.stenaroro.com/offering/Pages/Stena-Egeria.aspx
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 11:01:45 pm by giftgrub »

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1256 on: February 09, 2014, 11:09:08 pm
Ant 1 destination now Aliaga, all three ships are heading for the beaches

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1257 on: February 09, 2014, 11:12:59 pm
I was surprised that they all date from 1975. They look so modern compared to other vessels of the time. The St. Columba was built the same year, and Hengist and Horsa only 3 years before.

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1258 on: February 10, 2014, 12:23:11 am
I would be amazed if the Stena Spirit or Vision went to Fishguard, not least because the are actually older than the Europe.  Construction started in 1979/80, even though delivery was delayed until 1986/87.  They have far too much cabin and freight capacity for the route, even after the cabins were removed from the upper freight deck in the most recent refit.  It's a bit like the nonsense a few years ago about the Stena Britannica moving to Fishguard.  If they ever replace the Europe, I would expect to see something a bit newer.

The Kiel-Gothenburg route closure speculation is also of news.  This is one of their oldest and most established services and I thought that the current Germanica and Scandinavica were enjoying good loadings, not least because the Travemunde route was closed in 2010, not to mention the massive redevelopment of the Kiel terminal. 

Perhaps the Dieppe Seaways will replace the Stena Nordica, which could then be released for Fishguard.  That would certainly justify spending some money on the Dieppe Seaways, whose interior was ruined by SeaFrance. 

Does anybody have any news about the proposed Bristol to Cork service?

Matt

Just don't see the Dieppe Seaways going to Fishguard due to her running costs, but I agree Spirit and Vision aren't the most likely options (remember they where modernised last year as well so they must intend to keep them in service a while yet .  This isnt the fiirst time I have heard of Kiel-Gothenburg being a potential closure mind, though there does seem to be a lot of investment involved in the route also.  I agree that Egeria would be a good fit for Fishguard.  Speaking of Visentinis, was reading through the Stena interim update for Q3 and it mentions that they expect to acquire 3 ropax's before the end of 2013 at a cost of EUR 64.5 million approx.  Assuming this is referring to the 3 Visentini's they acquired that means the average price is around the EUR 21.5 M which is a heck of a lot less than another Stena Adventurer or Ulysses!

Another thing to think about - IF the 3 "pre-owned" Visentinis cost Stena EUR 64.5 M, the new BF Pegasis is costing EUR 270 Million for 1 ship!  Likewise Spirit of Britain/France where Eur 180M each.  Although not comparable in terms of facilities, they all do the same thing at the end of the day.  Likewise Stena spent a lot of money on Spirit and Vision, according to the aforementioned interim update Stena Baltica (ex Koningin Beatrix) was sold for about EUR 2.5 M so its not like they would see the investment paid back if the ships where sold on.

According to this article (in Italian) Visentini recieved an order for a ferry from Nordana recently, though I assume this will be like their existing ships and be a pure ro-ro with container capability. http://www.ilsole24ore.com/art/barometro-economia/2014-01-31/ordini-ripresa-solo-estero--152452.shtml?uuid=ABrgPet 

It will be interesting to see what approach different operators take with many ships around Europe due for replacement.  Im guessing Stena will stick with the ro-pax formula (freight is up 8% while car takings are stagnant according to the aforementioned document) but with the flexibility (or Stenability as they would say) in the design to do a conversion to passenger operation like they did with Traveler and Trader which remember had a big section taken out of them as well as having accommodation added.

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1259 on: February 11, 2014, 11:46:20 pm
Wee shot of Stena Performer I took today arriving in Belfast, running slightly late.  It was feckin cold btw!

and one of Stena SF VII taken last summer

« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 12:03:14 am by Steven »