Irish Ferries Enthusiasts | Forum

X

Trouble logging in? Click here

HSS Stena Explorer(Read 197541 times)
Re: HSS Stena Explorer Reply #345 on: November 09, 2016, 10:55:29 am
Former Dun Laoghaire ferry terminal building "To Let" alas no ferries in sight. The decision to grant permission for a new cruise berth will be welcome news but unfortunately the restriction in size (250m length)has meant that some of the newer cruise ships will not be able to use it.
Irish Times article
http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/d%C3%BAn-laoghaire-s-former-ferry-terminal-available-to-rent-1.2859217

Re: HSS Stena Explorer Reply #346 on: November 09, 2016, 10:17:27 pm
Just on that topic, the letting out of the bulk of the old Ferry Terminal building won't effect the return (or not) of a Ferry.  The ground floor end of the terminal (down by Berth 5) isn't included and is set aside for Marine use with access to Berth 4 or 5. In fairness, it's a good idea in any circumstance to make use of the terminal building and it's frontage. 

Valuable bit of real estate down there with a beautiful aspect - personally I think it would make a nice Hotel and performance space.  Good to see that the Harbour Company are now actively engaging with Dublin Port, Visit Dublin and all the other stakeholders about working together on the cruise business.  Makes a lot of sense for everyone.

Pete

Re: HSS Stena Explorer Reply #347 on: November 10, 2016, 05:48:40 am
Hope I am not going off the topic but I think Stena explorer would be celebrating her 21 st birthday this year if she was still on the run ??

Re: HSS Stena Explorer Reply #348 on: November 10, 2016, 10:57:23 am
Hope I am not going off the topic but I think Stena explorer would be celebrating her 21 st birthday this year if she was still on the run ??

The HSS entered service in April 1996.
 Stena Line are celebrating 21 years of service on the Dublin_Holyhead route and have tied up with RTE radio 1 with a car up for grabs

Re: HSS Stena Explorer Reply #349 on: November 14, 2016, 04:27:22 pm
Started Service in '96 but first hit the water in '95, so, irrespective of not being on the run anymore, she is still celebrating her 21st birthday.

Will she make her 22nd?

Re: HSS Stena Explorer Reply #350 on: March 25, 2017, 12:29:28 pm
The dismantling of the HSS berth in Holyhead near completion just the four supports left to be removed. I wonder will they proceed to dismantle the large concrete pier they built to house the linkspan.

Re: HSS Stena Explorer Reply #351 on: March 25, 2017, 11:13:28 pm
I would doubt it. It's not like they have an alternative use for the berth. Besides, all the other piers are still intact - although I'm not sure about Stranraer as Google Maps haven't updated around there for the last few hundred years.

Re: HSS Stena Explorer Reply #352 on: April 02, 2017, 09:13:05 pm
Confirmed! Linkspan removed, Pier remains. Photo below.