Irish Ferries Enthusiasts | Forum

X

Trouble logging in? Click here

New Ferry Ireland - Wales(Read 116772 times)
Re: New Ferry Ireland - Wales Reply #180 on: August 09, 2013, 12:28:26 am
I agree Port Talbot would be a good solution , as I have said before the development of a ferry/cruise terminal at Port Talbot could be used to regenerate that whole area , having said that , I made it my business to have a look for myself at Port Talbot during 2011 while Fastnet Line was still operating , the building of a ferry terminal there will be expensive and I am not sure ABP are in a position financially to undertake a project of that size at this time.
At this point in time it seems that Bristol is the only UK port willing to put its money where its mouth is and invest in facilities once a new service is committed to , Avonmouth being the likely contender with a berth adjoining a rail line at that.
As I have said I have a preference for Swansea for several reasons beyond the fact that it is a great arrival point , great port staff , acceptable crossing time and motorway access all benefit a ferry service along with the fact that Swansea Bay is a tourist destination in itself are all in its favor , but its a suitable ship that presents the problem , in saying that there are ships that are ideal for use at Swansea , if it were me making the decisions and I had the finance in place , I would be down on my knees begging Fjord Line to release the ship below for charter (it is sort of available if the right offer comes along) , in my opinion that ship is not only a commercially viable option to operate Swansea - Cork with no complications , the economies of that vessel are as such that it could offer lower fares than the Rosslare companies and still generate a profit to support the future purchase of either that ship or a similar one.
Looks like Bergensfjord is no longer an option http://fjordline.com/en/About-Fjord-Line/Media/Press-releases/Fjord-Line-to-gear-up-for-SandefjordStromstad-line/.  I believe she is only capable of 19 knots as well, a slightly faster vessel would surely be more appropriate if only to be able to make up lost time?
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Re: New Ferry Ireland - Wales Reply #181 on: August 09, 2013, 05:52:08 pm
About Swansea to Cork shipping:
After talking to someone who runs a small lorry service I can tell you that Swansea to Cork rote has been no intrest to lorry companies as the time table keeps changing. I mean is that due too the crossing time and loading means that the time the boat depart changes everyday unlike Fishguard and Pembroke. It's also quicker to take the lorries up to Fishguard and Pembroke as the time it takes for the ferry to grt to cork.

Re: New Ferry Ireland - Wales Reply #182 on: August 10, 2013, 12:07:56 pm
The changing timetable on the route was a Fastnet Line issue , generally if you have the right ship a daily depatrure from Cork at 9am and Swansea at 9pm daily is possible.
I like what they propose to do to the Bergensfjord , just a pity that she will lose so much vehicle capacity in favor of passenger space , however I have found another ship which could be chartered if "the right deal" could be found.
Freight volumes to and from Cork increased by 8% last year and are on target to grow by a further 12% this year , many local hauliers are very nervous about the planned expansion of the Lo/Lo service to Bristol , local exporters have committed to switching to the Lo/Lo service when the improvements take place as it will at that point be 15% faster and 35% cheaper to send a container to the UK by Lo/Lo from Cork than to send it by road to Rosslare , the price and speed advantage will increase if the Ringaskiddy rail freight line gets the green light , according to the exporters it will also be a greener way to send containers to the UK as they estimate that initially up to 50 trucks a day will be removed from the N25 , this of course is not good news for haulage companies based in Cork.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 12:35:57 pm by colin »

Re: New Ferry Ireland - Wales Reply #183 on: August 20, 2013, 07:55:56 pm
Freight volumes to and from Cork increased by 8% last year and are on target to grow by a further 12% this year , many local hauliers are very nervous about the planned expansion of the Lo/Lo service to Bristol , local exporters have committed to switching to the Lo/Lo service when the improvements take place as it will at that point be 15% faster and 35% cheaper to send a container to the UK by Lo/Lo from Cork than to send it by road to Rosslare , the price and speed advantage will increase if the Ringaskiddy rail freight line gets the green light , according to the exporters it will also be a greener way to send containers to the UK as they estimate that initially up to 50 trucks a day will be removed from the N25 , this of course is not good news for haulage companies based in Cork.

The Port of Cork Company, Marketing Exec has said the following as part of a public statement:-

[ At present these plans do not include a rail freight connection in Ringaskiddy. We also don’t have any plans to use or modernise the rail link in Tivoli. Following a study conducted on the use of rail freight at the Port of Cork, it was found that this was not a viable option, as the majority of the containers are anticipated for the Munster region only, and therefore transferring from ship to rail would not be economical./i]

Re: New Ferry Ireland - Wales Reply #184 on: August 21, 2013, 07:10:07 am
Thats interesting , as far as I am aware the Ringaskiddy redevelopment can not go ahead without a rail link as it is one of the conditions laid down by An Bord Planeala (Irish Planning Authority)

Re: New Ferry Ireland - Wales Reply #185 on: October 13, 2013, 11:38:12 pm
Just to update this , at a recent public meeting about the redevelopment of Ringaskiddy the planning officials stated categorically that the planning permission for the port will be refused if it does not include rail access. The National Roads Authority is one of the objectors on the basis that the N28 does not have sufficient capacity to accommodate the anticipated traffic increase , added to that is that the N28 can not be modified to that standard either and a whole new dual carrigeway from Cork to Ringaskiddy would have to be built , there is currently no funding or planning permissions for such a road.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 11:41:46 pm by colin »

Re: New Ferry Ireland - Wales Reply #186 on: October 23, 2013, 09:14:48 pm
the originator of this thread has been busy, I think this is the same person. posted on the Shippax facebook site....

« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 09:17:28 pm by Ferry_Fan »

Re: New Ferry Ireland - Wales Reply #187 on: October 24, 2013, 01:20:40 am
the originator of this thread has been busy, I think this is the same person. posted on the Shippax facebook site....

Hes been active over here as well regarding Oostende to Ramsgate.  http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=103910

I wish him all the success in the world, but think this link is going to be hard to make viable due to the amount of competition.  Employing someone who can design a professional website (not hosted by Yahoo) in proper English might help as well!

http://sunlinkferries.com/home
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 01:32:01 am by tarbyonline »

Re: New Ferry Ireland - Wales Reply #188 on: February 08, 2014, 06:39:48 pm
Hi  All
Yes I have being busy but never forgot cork-swansea.
Most of 2013 I have worked on the med, and since may 2013 to now on the channel,on the channel it is very unsecure what is happening. The med because we were offered a freight contract
  I can not remember what the max length of a ship can be used on cork port
But the problem now is that from 2015 a new ship is needed or much more expensive bunker

Re: New Ferry Ireland - Wales Reply #189 on: February 08, 2014, 07:07:57 pm
When I looked on the spain line, one of the ships available is not too big even here and could maybe survive wintertime, 120 passengers, if success the space to passengers could be enlarged

Re: New Ferry Ireland - Wales Reply #190 on: February 09, 2014, 01:09:56 am
Max length in Cork is 210m currently , this will be increased in the next few years , Swansea however is only 155m.

Re: New Ferry Ireland - Wales Reply #191 on: February 10, 2014, 02:02:35 am
Max length in Cork is 210m currently , this will be increased in the next few years , Swansea however is only 155m.
Draft is another issue given the tidal range in Swansea.

Re: New Ferry Ireland - Wales Reply #192 on: February 10, 2014, 05:43:05 am
personally i feel that this particular venture could only be fantasy, not even taking into account the last venture of its nature i think any future projections from this or almost any irish founded/run operations of any sort would be a pipe dream

Re: New Ferry Ireland - Wales Reply #193 on: February 10, 2014, 05:51:55 am
also 120 passengers per how long of a duration? stena europe is lucky to get 120 per day (both to and from), i am not taking into account the drivers of the vehicles where actual profit is made but realistically if i pick any day i can cross on the stena europe as a foot passenger with only 20-40(max) other foot passengers accompanying me. as all would know i want to see any shipping line from comedy central (ireland) succeed but before you do that research and research again and then take into account you are dealing with a wannabe capitalist climate with nothing to lose who will charge you 4 euro for a cup of coffee not because its better but because youre stuck here and we can, this has been the mentality for years and this is why not many people come back, youre stepping into a market where people know better, if you want foot tourists there is a long road to convincing them there is any reason to come here. Focus on freight (getting stuff out of here), forget about foot 

Re: New Ferry Ireland - Wales Reply #194 on: February 10, 2014, 07:36:14 am
freight will be the main focus, If I try to  put any ship there, plus like all others I am not sure if ireland - spain can use the ship fully  or one port more is necessary.
  It is absolutely not sure that a line wll be opened