Irish Ferries Enthusiasts | Forum

X

Trouble logging in? Click here

Liverpool to belfast(Read 6971 times)
Liverpool to belfast on: May 13, 2016, 12:39:30 am
 Hi guys,

I will be travelling form Liverpool to Belfast on Wednesday next week, on the daytime sailing, returning on Thursday's daytime sailing.

I got the £10 single fare so a total cost of £20 return - but as i USED MY extra points - free!

Any tips?  Is parking free at the port, as i think i will have to take my car as trains are very poor.

Are these daytime sailings busy - I hope not!

What route around the Isle of Man are we likely to take?

The Stena Plus lounge looks very small!

How do i get to and from Belfast ferryport to central Belfast.  Does the bus to the Stena Cairnryan terminal stop outside the Liverpool terminal?

I travelled on Stena Superfast x last week, so it will be interesting to compare.  I found the x ok - but on the way back the Met grill was beng closed down and cleaned about 1.5 hours befroe arrival!  Also the return journey to Holyhead took 4 hours instead of the 3.5 hours and berthing was slow.

All in all she's not perfect for the route but neither is the Adventurer and most of the decor is reupholstered Seafrance.  However, for £5.50 can't really complain.  Nevertheless I do fell Stena could do with purpose built tonnage for the Holyhead route. 

Cheers!

Re: Liverpool to belfast Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 09:07:29 am
Hi guys,

I will be travelling form Liverpool to Belfast on Wednesday next week, on the daytime sailing, returning on Thursday's daytime sailing.

I got the £10 single fare so a total cost of £20 return - but as i USED MY extra points - free!

Any tips?  Is parking free at the port, as i think i will have to take my car as trains are very poor.

Are these daytime sailings busy - I hope not!

What route around the Isle of Man are we likely to take?

The Stena Plus lounge looks very small!

How do i get to and from Belfast ferryport to central Belfast.  Does the bus to the Stena Cairnryan terminal stop outside the Liverpool terminal?

I travelled on Stena Superfast x last week, so it will be interesting to compare.  I found the x ok - but on the way back the Met grill was beng closed down and cleaned about 1.5 hours befroe arrival!  Also the return journey to Holyhead took 4 hours instead of the 3.5 hours and berthing was slow.

All in all she's not perfect for the route but neither is the Adventurer and most of the decor is reupholstered Seafrance.  However, for £5.50 can't really complain.  Nevertheless I do fell Stena could do with purpose built tonnage for the Holyhead route. 

Cheers!

Day time sailings are usually quite quite.  The route around the Isle of Man will very much depend on the tidal/weather conditions on the day.  The Stena Plus lounge is perfectly adequate - bare in mind passenger volumes aren't as high as say from Holyhead or Cairnryan for the most part (the passenger certificate of the visentinis is significantly lower as well also).  Regarding transport at the Belfast side, I'd personally take a taxi as its really not far into the City Centre - both Value Cabs and Fone a cab (the 2 largest taxi companies) have great phone apps which allow you to book and track your taxi, and also pay for it if you wish, with your phone.  It shouldn't cost you that much.  You should be able to find out more information regarding buses here: http://www.translink.co.uk/metro

Finally, if you haven't already, take a look around the vessels here: http://www.niferrysite.co.uk/interior-galleries/
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Re: Liverpool to belfast Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 02:18:06 pm
Thanks very much for all the info

Re: Liverpool to belfast Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 12:03:51 am
Sorry - just another query.

Are there free refills for tea and coffee on board as on Superfast x.

Thanks

Re: Liverpool to belfast Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 11:55:17 pm
What are the parking arrangements at Birkenhead?  Is it free.

Cheers

Re: Liverpool to belfast Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 09:03:35 am
There were no free tea/coffee refills on Stena Lagan or Stena Mersey when I last travelled a few weeks ago.

As far as I know parking at Birkenhead is free but you have to inform the people in the terminal building and obtain a permit or something like that. I'm not sure if anyone else can clarify that.

Re: Liverpool to belfast Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 11:10:12 am
On Stena Lagan.  Have to say crew seem very conscientious and pleasant so far!

Also told will ave my second coffee for half price.

Will be showing three frlms during crossing!

Re: Liverpool to belfast Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 11:01:08 pm
Arrived in Belfast on time at 18:30, off around 18:40, although berthing process was a bit slow.  Caught bus at 19:05 to Belfast - but it would be useful if Stena could make it known that there is a bus stop outside terminal!  Think I can get bus tomorrow morning as well - which is great news!

Staff really good and cleaning ship throughout crossing.

Staying in Belfast tonight before going back on the Mersey tomorrow.

Re: Liverpool to belfast Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 03:24:50 pm
Had a great day in Belfast.  a very nice city - with the sea and the mountains and a compact centre.  Went to Lisburn and pottered around central Belfast and the Falls and Shanklin Road.

Prices a bit steep in centra STORES!

Trying ti work out where to catch the bus to the port now, it's not very clear, but overall a very enjoyable trip so far.  The Visentinis aren't perfect but they do the job.  P and O should have had similar type vessels as replacements for the Super vIKINGS ON THE lE havre route years ago.

Re: Liverpool to belfast Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 09:35:30 pm
Back home after a voyage on the Stena Mersey.  Once again efficient and courteous staff.  Ship identical to the Lagan, and we took the same passage around the sw tip of Isle of Man, where the swell was a bit more, but nothing uncomfortable.

The only thing that marred my trip was a passenger who was very aggressive with me.  I complained about a screaming child and mother who were running around the Met area playing hide and seek and screaming loudly, treating the place as a creche.  Her husband said he would "xxxing do me over" if I didn't shut up and leave.  He said there were plenty of other areas on the ship - which is not true as the Barista coffee bar is the only other area and that has Curious George stuck to it.  I told him they could make noise as much as they wanted there.  But after further aggressive swearing and threats of "doing me over so I wouldn't be in one piece by the time we arrived in Liverpool I thought it might be sensible to leave to another area of the ship.  The swear words and aggressiveness of this person made it sensible to move, although he had committed criminal offences in threatening me, and if he had done it once again I would have reported him to the police.

Sadly there are these people around who can't help but swear and who think that they are always right - but let me make one thing clear how his wife and kid were behaving was not just a little noisy, the shouting wad all over the place, and I heard them in the terminal in Belfast as well.

Anyway, al's well that ends well.  Looking forward to my trip on the Stena Hollandica and Britannica from Harwich next month now, and my Extra points earned on board will come in very useful.

It was Annwyl easy drive out of Birkenhead, and foot pax loads were about 25-45 on each trip - so not bad.

So long as you take some work to do with you, the trip goes quite quickly during the day.

Ferry arrived on time in Birkenhead and offloading of foot pax better than at Holyhead.  Believe these ships take a lot of unaccompanied freight.

Re: Liverpool to belfast Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 12:56:02 am
Just want to empahsise that the Liverpool to Belfast route is a good one with Stena.  Some prices in the MET are expensive but sandwiches were on a par with those in Centra stores in bELFAST, AND THE GET A COFFEE HALF PRICE AFTER BYUING ONE WAS An EXCELLENT idea.

Parking free at Birkenhead another bonus.

I will definitely use them again if the price is right  - definitely!

Re: Liverpool to belfast Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 12:27:56 pm
Back home after a voyage on the Stena Mersey.  Once again efficient and courteous staff.  Ship identical to the Lagan, and we took the same passage around the sw tip of Isle of Man, where the swell was a bit more, but nothing uncomfortable.

The only thing that marred my trip was a passenger who was very aggressive with me.  I complained about a screaming child and mother who were running around the Met area playing hide and seek and screaming loudly, treating the place as a creche.  Her husband said he would "xxxing do me over" if I didn't shut up and leave.  He said there were plenty of other areas on the ship - which is not true as the Barista coffee bar is the only other area and that has Curious George stuck to it.  I told him they could make noise as much as they wanted there.  But after further aggressive swearing and threats of "doing me over so I wouldn't be in one piece by the time we arrived in Liverpool I thought it might be sensible to leave to another area of the ship.  The swear words and aggressiveness of this person made it sensible to move, although he had committed criminal offences in threatening me, and if he had done it once again I would have reported him to the police.

Sadly there are these people around who can't help but swear and who think that they are always right - but let me make one thing clear how his wife and kid were behaving was not just a little noisy, the shouting wad all over the place, and I heard them in the terminal in Belfast as well.

Anyway, al's well that ends well.  Looking forward to my trip on the Stena Hollandica and Britannica from Harwich next month now, and my Extra points earned on board will come in very useful.

It was Annwyl easy drive out of Birkenhead, and foot pax loads were about 25-45 on each trip - so not bad.

So long as you take some work to do with you, the trip goes quite quickly during the day.

Ferry arrived on time in Birkenhead and offloading of foot pax better than at Holyhead.  Believe these ships take a lot of unaccompanied freight.

Sorry to hear the negative part of your experience. I would advice you to write a letter to Stena Line explaining what happened. I imagine they would offer you a good will gesture. 

Re: Liverpool to belfast Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 07:24:37 pm
Cheers-when i have complained to Stena in the past, their response has been very good.

Re: Liverpool to belfast Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 11:55:13 pm
Given the circumstances I imagine they would offer you a goodwill gesture, rather than let a customer get disgruntled and defect to P&O or Irish Ferries, or even worse the airlines.

I tend to use P&O more than Stena, and have never had an issue with anti social behaviour. I am sure it happens with all the operators from time to time though. I am a little surprised the bar staff / Guest Services didn't take action. The last time I was on P&O and kids were running around wild, Guest Services came on the PA and bluntly stated "Passengers are reminded children must be supervised at all times... Thank You!"

I recall once the purser on European Endeavour had to follow up a customer who appeared to have toddled off with sample perfume from the shop. On retrieving the perfume, I overheard the individual stating "It was half empty!". One of the Dutch pursers I know who worked for both P&O North Sea (Norsun & Pride of Rotterdam) and Stena North Sea ('KB') mentioned a few times they caught individuals actually taking the plates and knives and forks from the restaurants!

« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 11:59:33 pm by TC »

Re: Liverpool to belfast Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016, 12:02:35 am
One the Dublin to Holyhead route we always stop anti social behavior and if children are running announcements are made advising them running on board a ferry is dangerous