Irish Ferries Enthusiasts | Forum

X

Trouble logging in? Click here

Re: Grimaldi Selling Three Ferries(Read 4677 times)
Re: Grimaldi Selling Three Ferries on: October 15, 2015, 08:51:18 am
Unconfirmed reports on BFE that Grimaldi have sale listed three ferries, the SNAV Toscana (formerly Peter Wessel) and the La Superba and La Suprema, if the reports are true, I would expect the second two to be purchased by one of the baltic ferry operators and converted like the Finlandia to Ice Class etc, unless they are in poor mechanical condition a purchase price of 60 mill Sterling (80 mill euro) plus say 30 mill euro to rebuild and refit with scrubbers, ice class, bow doors and new interiors would be a lot less than Tallink are spending (230 mill) on their new build.

http://bfenthusiasts.com/forum/forum/other-ferry-operations/252485-snav-grandi-navi-veloci-tonnage-for-sale

Re: Grimaldi Selling Three Ferries Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 10:09:14 pm
Interesting. I'm sure several operators will be interested. To be honest P&O North Sea could be a potential buyer, Pride of Bruges and Pride of York, are basically like the Stena Europe & Danica, i.e. 'old' despite their reliability. Their lane-meters would suit that operation, but I'd be surprised if they could operate through the lock at hull. However no bow doors, have been a requirement of P&O NSF for quite a while. Blue Star 1 & 2 would probably meet their requirements better.

Re: Grimaldi Selling Three Ferries Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 11:12:57 am
SNAV Toscana definitely has age against her.  The problem with La Superba and her sister is their sheer size, and the inefficiency of vessels designed to operate at 30kts. 

Interesting. I'm sure several operators will be interested. To be honest P&O North Sea could be a potential buyer, Pride of Bruges and Pride of York, are basically like the Stena Europe & Danica, i.e. 'old' despite their reliability. Their lane-meters would suit that operation, but I'd be surprised if they could operate through the lock at hull. However no bow doors, have been a requirement of P&O NSF for quite a while. Blue Star 1 & 2 would probably meet their requirements better.

They definitely won't fit the locks. Dimensionally they are very close to the size of PoH and PoR.  I'd also say they are too big as well from a passenger capacity perspective.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Re: Grimaldi Selling Three Ferries Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 02:43:02 pm
Only way P&O could square that circle is to try her out on the river berth (Rotterdam Terminal). I know the Bruges and York sometimes have to use the river berth, how much this mucks up the Pride of Rotterdam / Hull I'm not sure exactly.

Regards to her size, I thought her lane meters would suit the operation nicely, and complement the Fincantieri twins. Passenger capacity is a bit much I agree there, and how efficient these vessels are is quite debatable. I'd say they swallow a fair bit of juice, but in terms of passenger experience, they could provide one similar to the vessels on the Rotterdam run. 

Re: Grimaldi Selling Three Ferries Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 05:49:13 pm
What about IF snapping them up?

Re: Grimaldi Selling Three Ferries Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 02:07:26 pm
Possible, one of them would make a good replacement for Oscar Wilde.

Re: Grimaldi Selling Three Ferries Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 05:48:33 pm
What about IF snapping them up?
Personally, I think they'd go for something more efficient.

Regards to her size, I thought her lane meters would suit the operation nicely, and complement the Fincantieri twins. Passenger capacity is a bit much I agree there, and how efficient these vessels are is quite debatable. I'd say they swallow a fair bit of juice, but in terms of passenger experience, they could provide one similar to the vessels on the Rotterdam run. 
Passenger wise, numbers are declining.  Introducing tonnage with more extensive passenger facilities would appear (to me) to have little logic.  Certainly, it would increase costs (after all, these areas need to be staffed, cleaned, etc), with little to no pay back. Even during August, the ships appear to have been operating at far from capacity.  Personally, I think they could do a lot worse than a more ropax orientated design.

Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Re: Grimaldi Selling Three Ferries Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 07:51:52 pm
Zeebrugge was, I believe, very popular with all the turmoil in Calais this summer, with apparently a jump in numbers. I think Zeebrugge is handy. But your right Steven efficiency is everything. I'm not a fan of the Vissentini's but I do have to agree, if Stena Mersey and Stena Lagan were put on the Hull to Zeebrugge they would probably cope fairly well, and would be cheaper to operate.

One design I was always quite impressed by was the Isle of Inishfree (Pride of Cherbourg, Stena Challenger). She seemed to combine comfort and efficiency quite well.

I'm wondering what form the next generation of vessels will take, not just for P&O, but also Stena. I have to give P&O's Mitsubishi's credit as-well in terms of effective use of space.   

Re: Grimaldi Selling Three Ferries Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 10:22:49 pm
Could Irish Continental Group be lining up to purchase La Superba and La Suprema

They have the freight capacity and passenger capacity and the speed to operate on any route,