Irish Ferries Enthusiasts | Forum

X

Trouble logging in? Click here

Main Engine Power(Read 11226 times)
Main Engine Power on: October 16, 2013, 12:01:51 am
Discussions on other threads led me to check the Stena ships operating around UK and European waters and the power developed by engines. There are a couple of surprises in there, and assuming that similar to other types of motor vehicle, whilst load mass and hull efficiency will have their effects, big engines usually equal big running costs, and may be a factor in determining where such vessels may operate in future.

From the Stena Freight website, in deminishing order of power output:

Stena Explorer............................68000kW
Stena Superfast VII/VIII..............46000kW
Stena Nordica.............................39600kW
Stena Carisma (Express).............34000kW
Stena Britannica/Hollandica..........33600kW
Stena Adventurer........................25920kW
Stena Jutlandica..........................25920kW
Stena Scandinavica.....................25920kW
Stena  Germanica........................23000kW
Stena Transporter.......................21600kW
Stena Performer/Precision...........16000kW
Stena Europe..............................15200kW
Stena Nautica.............................12500kW
Stena Lagan/Mersey....................10800kW
(Other fuel-guzzling vessels and operators are available).

One thing that jumps out at me is the difference in engine power between Stena Nordica and Stena Europe, leading me to wonder whether she would actually be considered a permanent replacement at all.

It would be nice to put some actual fuel usage figures against each of the above vessels, unfortunately that information doesn’t appear to be freely available on the web.

Re: Main Engine Power Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 01:33:50 pm
Thanks for that, plenty of info to digest in that.

Re: Main Engine Power Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 06:45:26 pm
It's not a fair comparison to compare the Nordica and the Europe, their engines designs are a generation apart. There is a bit more to it than bottom line power.

Re: Main Engine Power Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 08:41:43 pm
What a difference between Nordica and the other Stena ships, never knew that. I suppose on the Holyhead-Dublin route it doesn't matter about fuel as Nordica pays her way, great ship, never lets me down!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 08:42:39 pm by HSSMAN »

Re: Main Engine Power Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 07:22:53 am
I note Stena Explorer has the distinction of having the highest fuel consumption of any car ferry in service anywhere in the world , interesting that Stena have not looked at converting the HSS's to run on LPG as this seems to be the conversion of choice with operators of fastcraft.

Re: Main Engine Power Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 08:28:51 pm
Have to admit, never spotted that the Nordica is nearly four times as powerful as the Stena Lagan/ Mersey, seems to have been very well designed by P&O from day one.

Re: Main Engine Power Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 01:42:27 am
25920kw seems to be the output of choice for ships ordered new by Stena apart from the larger Stena Hollandica/Britannica which would require more power by virtue of their size.
You would have to wonder how long Stena plans to keep the Superfasts looking at their fuel consumption.

Re: Main Engine Power Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 11:44:40 am
I think most of the Seamaster class got those engines. They probably realised, after stretching the old Hollandica and Britannica that they could do with a bit more power, hence the larger engines in the new vessels.

Would it be possible to stretch the Nordica? certainly looks like she has the power, but perhaps her beam at only 25m is too small and she would become unstable.

One thing, this 'Ships Power' consideration would be a great category for Larry's "Top Trumps" game.  8-)

Re: Main Engine Power Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 12:21:19 pm
And just to add to the mix, Ulysses has almost 10,000KW of thruster power alone.

Re: Main Engine Power Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 05:59:41 pm
I looked for the Irish Ferries vessels to put up as a comparison, but couldn't find anything on engine power. If anybody has the knowledge please post.

Re: Main Engine Power Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 07:08:36 pm
I looked for the Irish Ferries vessels to put up as a comparison, but couldn't find anything on engine power. If anybody has the knowledge please post.
I have some data for Ulysses in the reply I was originally going to post but can't use my WiFi to access the forum to post it (using 3g at the moment).  Will try rig the laptop up to the phone to post.  The figures given for the Lagan in the op need to be doubled by the way.  The stena site has a typo on it and the power given is per engine.  Either the the Nordica has a very inefficient hull profile or is massively overpowered IMO.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Re: Main Engine Power Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 08:09:25 pm
Ok, this is my original intended reply - fingers crossed it works!

I guess Stena have taken into account the cost of the HSS conversions vs the expected remaining life of the vessels and the actual usefulness (with their limited freight capacity and need for dedicated infrastructure reducing flexibility) and decided its not worth the investment. 

Interesting about the Nordica though I note she has 4 engines - 2 x Wärtsilä 18V38 and 2 x Wärtsilä 12V38 which doesn't mean all are in full use all of the time.  However according to this site http://www.ship-technology.com/projects/euro_causeway/ the European Causeway which is near sister has 4 Wärtsilä main engines producing the best part of 32kW and a further 2 Diahatsu auxiliary engines.  By comparison the Stena Britannica has 4 MAN engines producing just a few kW more.  Viking XPRS has 40,000kW of Wärtsilä main engine power onboard (still well short of the Superfasts) whereas Ullysees has a "mere" 31,200kW from her main engines http://www.ship-technology.com/projects/ulysses/.    However, I am getting the Stena Lagan's power output at double the original post/Stena's figures at 21,600kW http://www.naos-design.com/en/design-en/46-p241-lagan-viking-ii-en.html which seems more likely and leads me to think the Stena site should read 2 x 10800 kW.

Given the age of the design would the Europe's engines not be far less efficient given the advances in technology frrom the late 70's when she was designed meaning more fuel burned per kW of power produced?  Also, the Europe is designed to sail at 19kts vs the Nordicas 25kts and the Superfasts 27kts- each additional knot of speed requires a greater increase of power than the last one meaning a Nordica sailing at 18 or 19 knots is going to use nowhere near the amount of power she would at full speed.

It perhaps shows the advances in design/better economies of scale of the Visentini class to compare the original Lagan vikings 15,600 kW to the current Stena Lagan's and particularly the Visentini forwarder (2 x 9450 kW at 500 rpm according to NAOS = 18900kW) to the later larger class such as Stena Lagan (2100 lane metres vs 2885 is over a 25% increase in capacity with less than 13% increase in power

Interesting topic you have started here!

Re: Main Engine Power Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 08:50:52 pm
Just for Davy Jones ;)

Irish Ferries power output (main engines)

Ulysees 31,200
Johnathan Swift- 28,000
Isle of Inishmore - 23,040 KW
Isle of Innisfree/Kaitaki 23040
Pride of Bilbao/ SPL Princess Anastasia  23,000 kW
Oscar Wilde 19,800 roughly (26900hk)
St Patrick II 15445
Normandy 15360 kW

Most interesting of all are these figures for Ulysees which show the breakdown of power actually needed (taken from http://www.irishferries.se/teknik_ulysses.htm ):

Shaft Output for Service Speed of 22 Knots      22,600 KW
Sea Margin Allowance      3,390 KW
Shaft Alternator Allowance      1,925 KW
Total Output Reqd for a Service Speed of 22 Knots      28,435 KW ( 91% MCR)

And just for comparison as she is similar to the IO Ininshmore, Stena Jutlandica 25920 kW vs IOI 23,040.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 09:02:11 pm by tarbyonline »

Re: Main Engine Power Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 09:24:43 pm
Thanks for your input on this Steven. the creases are beginning to get ironed out.

I didn't realise that Stena Nordica had an original design speed of 25kts. that means she should be able to do the same crossing times as the Explorer (on her reduced programme) although, as you say, with vastly increased fuel consumption.

I have also been trawling the web to try and find out some power and fuel consumption figures for LD Lines' Norman Arrow (now Katexpress 1). For those not in the know, she is the large 112m Incat design, and it would be great to compare her figures to those of Stena Explorer.

Another vessel in our waters that we haven't talked much about is Manannan. She does a 3 port programme over the summer months and covers lots of miles at speed. I suppose the IOMSPco has the advantage of no competition as they have exclusive berthing rights at Douglas and can charge realistic prices to keep in profit.