Irish Ferries Enthusiasts | Forum

X

Trouble logging in? Click here

Ambassador/Nordica/Malo: Where next?(Read 31697 times)
Ambassador/Nordica/Malo: Where next? on: January 11, 2016, 01:20:47 pm
Following on from my post on the IF movements thread, I thought it would be worth a right royal speculation on where Malo Seaways may next be working, 'cos we're good at stuff like that!

News is she is likely to be leaving her DFDS Charter early, so what could next be in store for her?

My own initial thought as reported could possibly be to replace Epsilon at Irish Ferries, but she would probably be to thirsty for the French runs.

Many have claimed for some time that she would make a suitable replacement for Stena Europe on the Southern corridor, but it sounds like money is to be spent on Europe during her down-time, meaning she isn't going anywhere.

A return to the Baltic probably isn't on the cards, given the emissions restrictions coming in over there.

However, another possibility, given her powerful engines and the lower cost of fuel could be to re-uprate her props and offer an express service somewhere - could even be a replacement for the Dublin Swift or Manannan, not to the same speed but probably a more economical alternative.

Other suggestions please.

Re: Ambassador/Nordica/Malo: Where next? Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 02:20:50 pm
I agree on the French run. When she was with P&O, the latter said she wasn't viable to run on Dublin to Cherbourg because of her fuel efficiency, despite her popularity.

I wouldn't rule her out on the Holyhead to Dublin route. If Nordica is laid up, and their is demand for a third ship, then she would definitely be a good option. It all depends on numbers (which I hear are good), and naturally berthing slots. Superfast X, which is an improvement on the Nordica in many respects, has provided no improvement with regard to freight capacity.

P&O I imagine will be sending European Endeavour off for refit soon, I suspect February / March. Stena Nordica could possibly be chartered in to cover EE's time table. Bearing in mind it would only be a temporary arrangement, it could happen. DFDS chartered the European Endeavour from P&O to cover Birkenhead to Dublin, in direct competition with P&O's route, so anything is possible.

Re: Ambassador/Nordica/Malo: Where next? Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 03:59:55 pm
Could we possibly see the Stena Nordica replace the Stena Precision on the Belfast - Birkenhead service? Thus releasing the Precision back on to the Heysham service with the Stena Hibernia then being chartered out.

Re: Ambassador/Nordica/Malo: Where next? Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 05:32:45 pm
I think you're referring to Stena Performer that operates Belfast to Birkenhead, not Stena Precision.

Re: Ambassador/Nordica/Malo: Where next? Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 10:06:45 pm
From the top of my head

Replace Stena Gothica between Gothenburg and Fredrikshavn
Replace Stena Baltica on the Sweden to Poland run and return her to BF
3rd ship on Dublin to Holyhead
Establish a new route for Stena somewhere
Medium to long term charter somewhere (with a possible purchase option).

Personally I dont see her going on the Belfast to Liverpool run.  Stena Europe is about to have a considerable sum spent on her, which includes deck renewals (not to mention the 35 year survey) so I can't see Stena pulling her in the near future.  In any case, Stena Nordica has a low PC and known to be a bit thirsty.  To raise her PC will be very expensive unfortunately.

I very much doubt Stena would let her go to a direct rival in P&O in lieu of using her themselves on the same corridor.  Freight levels are frequently at capacity on the Holyhead link afterall.  While Stena RoRo is a separate business unit, you can be sure Stena Line would lobby extremely hard against such a move.  It is in the interests of the group to work together for mutual benefit afterall.

Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Re: Ambassador/Nordica/Malo: Where next? Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 11:33:12 am
Stena Nordica is smaller than Epsilon and i could not see Irish Ferries taking her on charter, however she would be ideal for P&O as a forth ship for Dublin - Liverpool.

I still believe Irish Ferries will go for the superfast twins to plug the gaps in their route network and use Oscar Wilde only in the summer or for refit cover in the future.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 11:34:47 am by IFPete »

Re: Ambassador/Nordica/Malo: Where next? Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 01:39:45 pm

I very much doubt Stena would let her go to a direct rival in P&O in lieu of using her themselves on the same corridor.  Freight levels are frequently at capacity on the Holyhead link afterall.  While Stena RoRo is a separate business unit, you can be sure Stena Line would lobby extremely hard against such a move.  It is in the interests of the group to work together for mutual benefit afterall.

I am only suggesting a temporary charter arrangement for P&O to cover for European Endeavour. Your right about Holyhead though, but the berths are at a premium. Stena really should have got a larger vessel to replace Stena Nordica. The Superfast X has not made any improvement with regard to freight capacity, only passenger. Realistically Stena need a vessel with higher freight capacity than the latter. P&O do business with DFDS who are in direct competition with them on Dover to Calais! P&O's flagship route. If Nordica is idle for late Feb / March, a charter to P&O wouldn't hurt Stena too much.

I think Stena Nordica would be a good replacement for Stena Baltica (BF) or Stena Nautica (1986).

Re: Ambassador/Nordica/Malo: Where next? Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 03:44:19 pm
Summer schedules have been announced and bookings taken for Superfasts XI and XII and it would be difficult, especially politically in relation to the XII operating a subsidised route, to withdraw them now.

A much better bet is the Bimini Superfast (Superfast VI) which has just been withdrawn from her previous service.

Re: Ambassador/Nordica/Malo: Where next? Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 07:45:37 pm
hi I'm new here :) if she was to return to P&O it would be good for Larne to Troon as Larne only has the Highlander & Causeway it would be good for the three sisters to operate out of the same port Larne has enough Linkspans and are the same size but Troon would need a linkspan to accommodate as the one Express used is not the same type

Re: Ambassador/Nordica/Malo: Where next? Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 08:45:34 pm
Stena really should have got a larger vessel to replace Stena Nordica.

Just to throw another one in, could it be the reason they are spending so much money on the Europe's refit is that she and SFX may swap places, pending a new build for the central corridor?

Re: Ambassador/Nordica/Malo: Where next? Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 10:02:03 pm

Just to throw another one in, could it be the reason they are spending so much money on the Europe's refit is that she and SFX may swap places, pending a new build for the central corridor?
Extremely unlikely!  They have to spend so much on Europe due to her age - the work being done is not refurbishment work (though some painting will be done obviously).  SF X is an expensive ship to operate, she'd never make enough from Fishguard to justify her operation from there.  Europe would not have sufficient freight capacity for Dublin anyway - the current 2 ships are full, yet Europe has just over half the freight capacity of X.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Re: Ambassador/Nordica/Malo: Where next? Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 11:17:10 pm

Superfast X is definitely being used as a filler, she will probably be moved to another route in the not too distant future. She is an improvement on the Nordica, but has done nothing for vehicle capacity. Its a shame as she is quite a good ship. Her low capacity is a bit of an issue though, considering her size and operating costs. I don't think her or her sisters on the North Channel will leave Stena, but SFX isn't the best option going forward for Holyhead. Today 2000 lane meters is not that much, in fact P&O's Norbay has slightly more lane meters (2100), and she was built back in 1994.

I think a Korean build might be on the horizon. As history has shown, Stena tend to order a string of vessels to keep costs down, usually from a yard in Korea (Hyundai / Samsung).

Re: Ambassador/Nordica/Malo: Where next? Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 01:35:08 am
Europe would not have sufficient freight capacity for Dublin anyway - the current 2 ships are full, yet Europe has just over half the freight capacity of X.

Sorry, thought Stena Europe was a larger vessel.  :-[

Re: Ambassador/Nordica/Malo: Where next? Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 01:20:48 pm
Oscar has more freight capacity, one of the reasons Irish Ferries replaced Stena Europes sister " Normandy"

Re: Ambassador/Nordica/Malo: Where next? Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 06:49:48 pm
Summer schedules have been announced and bookings taken for Superfasts XI and XII and it would be difficult, especially politically in relation to the XII operating a subsidised route, to withdraw them now.

A much better bet is the Bimini Superfast (Superfast VI) which has just been withdrawn from her previous service.

Superfast XI and XII were to go to Cuba this summer,

I guess that is not going to happen.