Irish Ferries Enthusiasts | Forum

X

Trouble logging in? Click here

Dun Laoghaire Service Going Seasonal?(Read 6348 times)
Dun Laoghaire Service Going Seasonal? on: August 12, 2011, 09:19:43 pm
Is Stena pulling out of Dun Laoghaire for the winter?

It has failed to update its on-line Holyhead to Dun Laoghaire timetable since June, during which time, for a period of just 14 days, it ran its HSS service twice daily.  It seems to be trying to make it look as though its service is much better than it really is, yet in 1 months time, the service is due to be pulled altogether for the winter.

IF are gloating at the prospect of being the only fast ferry provider after 14 September, judging from their recent news section release.

What's going to happen to the reputed 60 or so jobs based there, what with no ferry service whatsoever? Will they be transferred to Dublin port?

Re: Dun Laoghaire Service Going Seasonal? Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 11:18:41 pm
Is Stena pulling out of Dun Laoghaire for the winter?

It has failed to update its on-line Holyhead to Dun Laoghaire timetable since June, during which time, for a period of just 14 days, it ran its HSS service twice daily.  It seems to be trying to make it look as though its service is much better than it really is, yet in 1 months time, the service is due to be pulled altogether for the winter.

IF are gloating at the prospect of being the only fast ferry provider after 14 September, judging from their recent news section release.

What's going to happen to the reputed 60 or so jobs based there, what with no ferry service whatsoever? Will they be transferred to Dublin port?

Unfortunately the above is true.  HSS finishes for the year on September 13th and there will be no winter service at all this year.  Understandable to a point given that the vast majority of Stenas Dun Laoghaire business is done from May-August but I still think limiting to April-September is a mistake and they will lose a lot of customers to Irish Ferries who wont come back next year.

Talked to some staff at DL and they dont really know whats going to happen in the longer term but all were saying that some sort of service should operate at least March-November to retain the leisure travellers who have been so loyal for many years.  September 13th to April 1st is just too long of a gap.

Apparently the plan is that HSS will be back next year on the route - this time though it will be Voyager on the route as it underwent a fairly serious refit recently.  This is of course dependent on no buyer being found for either over the winter.

Dub

Re: Dun Laoghaire Service Going Seasonal? Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 04:56:04 am
This is a terrible pitty , I am not surprised to see the HSS taken out of service in the off peak months , but to have no fastcraft service at all is surprising , does this mean the Stena Lynx III is being laid up over the winter also? I know some thought was being given to a Dun Laoghaire - Liverpool service , I wonder if any progress was made with that?

Re: Dun Laoghaire Service Going Seasonal? Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 06:58:49 am
Big mistake and is this the end of an era???

The yacht owners wil be delighted.

As for Dun laoghaire Liverpool, there is over capacity on this corridor,

P & O, 3 Times Daily
Sea Truck, 2 Times Daily

I would suggest Dun Laoghaire Fishguard, a service started 1978 (Lord Warden)but far too short lived. This route would be a big saving on mileage to the South of England & Wales.

With the right ship, 4 hrs 30 mins by day and 6 Hrs by night, thus 10 crossings each way per week.

Re: Dun Laoghaire Service Going Seasonal? Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 12:15:34 pm
There is somewhat of an overcapacity on the Dublin - Liverpool service , but these are all ro/pax or freight only ships , A Dun Laoghaire - Liverpool fastcraft service could tap into the leisure breaks and city breaks market , if marketed successfully it could potentially support the HSS operation on a year round basis.
On a lighter note , someone could always start a campaign to "Save The HSS" , note a joke either , people laughed when the slogan "Bring Back The Swansea Cork Ferry" first appeared.

Re: Dun Laoghaire Service Going Seasonal? Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 09:30:42 pm
Maybe the slogan should be "Save Dun Laoghaire Ferryport"
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 09:32:18 pm by a2engineers »

Re: Dun Laoghaire Service Going Seasonal? Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 08:37:07 pm
Unfortunately the above is true.  HSS finishes for the year on September 13th and there will be no winter service at all this year.  Understandable to a point given that the vast majority of Stenas Dun Laoghaire business is done from May-August but I still think limiting to April-September is a mistake and they will lose a lot of customers to Irish Ferries who wont come back next year.

Talked to some staff at DL and they dont really know whats going to happen in the longer term but all were saying that some sort of service should operate at least March-November to retain the leisure travellers who have been so loyal for many years.  September 13th to April 1st is just too long of a gap.

Apparently the plan is that HSS will be back next year on the route - this time though it will be Voyager on the route as it underwent a fairly serious refit recently.  This is of course dependent on no buyer being found for either over the winter.

Dub

Interesting that the Voyager will be taking over the route, which suggests that the Explorer is winding down, doing its last 20 ever odd return journeys on the route over the next 4 weeks.

If a March to November run is really the aim, then why not put the Lynx on until November?  The only reason I can think of is to establish how much business is retained by using just the Adventurer and the Nordica, and how much is lost to the IF Swift, so they can make an informed decision going forward.

There's a certain irony that when they were paying €6.5m to dock at Dun Laoghaire and the service was loss-making, they at least ran a service all year to try and recoup as much as possible.  Now they're just not bothering.

Re: Dun Laoghaire Service Going Seasonal? Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 08:49:46 pm
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 08:50:30 pm by Simon.Manby »

Re: Dun Laoghaire Service Going Seasonal? Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 10:09:48 pm
And a similar report on the bbc website

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-14721882

Re: Dun Laoghaire Service Going Seasonal? Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 10:58:28 pm
Looks like Stena may have been too heavy handed...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1212/stena.html

They could have done with more check-in staff at Dublin port on a recent trip I went on (mentioned elsewhere on this forum).   I said on a voyage satisfaction survey that it seemed mad that there were staff lying idle at Dun Laoghaire and not enough at Dublin port but (funnily enough) I never heard anything back.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 11:16:46 pm by Simon.Manby »

Re: Dun Laoghaire Service Going Seasonal? Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 05:21:31 pm
well i can see stena are pulling out now for HSS from dun laighire to holyhead jsut other 2 routes that had HSS Discovery and HSS
voyager is goneso i wonder what happnes