Irish Ferries Enthusiasts | Forum

X

Trouble logging in? Click here

Dun Laoghaire to Howth Ferry(Read 7457 times)
Dun Laoghaire to Howth Ferry on: March 29, 2013, 02:46:44 pm
Three years ago, when Dun Laoghaire Harbour Company were reeling at the prospect of their lucrative contract with Stena coming to an end, they asked the public for submissions as to how the harbour could be used in the future.  One of the suggestions I made was to have boat trips to Dublin city / Howth, citing Sydney, Australia, as an example of where water transport is used as a form of public transport to different parts of the city and nearby islands. It was also after an article in the Sunday Times at the time suggesting that a ferry link might be opened up between Dun Laoghaire and Dublin, though that never seemed to come to anything.

Probably co-incidentally, there was an article in last week's Sunday Times about Dublin Ferry Cruises starting a new 80 minute ferry service from Dun Laoghaire to Howth at Easter using the "147 seat St Bridget" .  There would be 6 trips daily and a one way fare of €19.

Does anyone know any more about this?

There is a boat, the "Sea Explorer", currently moored in Dun Laoghaire.  Has this got anything to do with it?

Even if this does get off the ground, at €19 one way, I'd be a bit worried that it would fall flat on its face.  You can get half-way to Holyhead as a foot passenger for that! Otherwise could a great tourism boost for the 2 towns.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 04:34:35 pm by Simon.Manby »

Re: Dun Laoghaire to Howth Ferry Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 09:21:09 pm
As far as I know, Sea Explorer is a cruse ship, that does Arctic cruises (she is owned by the guys who charter that massive Russian nuclear Ice Breaker that goes to the North Poll in the summer....

Re: Dun Laoghaire to Howth Ferry Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 11:11:07 pm
The service apparently started yesterday.

Very good website, Dublin Bay Cruises, but I feel the fare is steep.

Re: Dun Laoghaire to Howth Ferry Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 11:56:04 pm
Doesn't seem very clear where the service departs from in Dun Laoghaire, and didn't see the boat when I was in the town around 6.30pm, when it should have been due in.

First bookings seem to being taken from Tuesday, so not sure if tomorrow's are all booked out, or it's just not started yet.

Re: Dun Laoghaire to Howth Ferry Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 10:34:56 am
First bookings seem to being taken from Tuesday, so not sure if tomorrow's are all booked out, or it's just not started yet.

From there twitter feed

"Dublin Bay Cruises [ch8207]@DublinBayCruise 12 Apr
Sailing Commencing Tuesday 16th April:

Departing Dun Laoghaire - 11am and 3pm
Departing Howth - 1pm and 5pm

Get Out There"
Ferry Master

Re: Dun Laoghaire to Howth Ferry Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 10:40:10 am
Doesn't seem very clear where the service departs from in Dun Laoghaire, and didn't see the boat when I was in the town around 6.30pm, when it should have been due in.

Departing Dun Laoghaire harbour:

East Pier Dun Laoghaire Harbour
We sail from East Pier in Dun Laoghaire Harbour. Located  400 meters from Dun Laoghaire Dart Station.

St Michael's Pier Dun Laoghaire Harbour
Find us on St Michael's Pier Dun Laoghaire Harbour ( Beside Stena Line Terminal Building)
2 mins walk from DART Station

Departing Howth Harbour:

West Pier Howth Harbour
We sail from West Pier which is 100 meters from Howth DART station.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 10:43:07 am by michaelo_4921 »
Ferry Master