Irish Ferries Enthusiasts | Forum

X

Trouble logging in? Click here

Stena CEO on Undercover Boss - Channel 4, 6 August(Read 7068 times)
Stena CEO on Undercover Boss - Channel 4, 6 August on: August 07, 2012, 11:06:42 pm
Very interesting to see this programme last night featured Stena's CEO going under cover to see how his company runs.

It's funny that he felt the need to do this.  I've always felt with Stena that they are very keen to seek out your feedback after a trip, but I've never seen any of my suggestions implemented, so they just seem to be ignored.  You just get a standard "Thanks for your feedback" response.  For example, I asked them after a recent trip why it was necessary for the Stena Europe at Rosslare to have a 60 minute check-in (8am for a 9am sailing) compared to a 30 minute check-in (8.15 for an 8.45am saling) for IF.  As CIE do all the check-ins anyway, I suspect they check in everyone up until at least 8.15am; we were certainly let through after arriving at 8.10am.

Anyway, back to the programme.
He went aboard one of the Liverpool to Belfast ships which sailed whilst fixtures and fittings were being added, making for a noisy, dusty sailing for passengers in very close proximity that were not moved to other unused areas, nor given and kind of compensation in the form of food and drink.

He also went aboard the Britannica on the dutch route, which he'd been on the design team for, only to find that features in the kitchen like the non-stick floor meant it was difficult to move the trolleys around, and ovens were difficult to open.

I thought he dealt sensitively with the issue of lower paid foreign workers, which he claimed was common amongst ferry companies.

The Rosslare / Fishguard and Dun Laoghaire / Holyhead route were completely ignored and the Nordica focussed only on a temporary employee that wanted to feel a bit more valued.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 11:07:36 pm by Simon.Manby »

Re: Stena CEO on Undercover Boss - Channel 4, 6 August Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 11:37:05 pm
It was pretty hilarious when he went onboard the belfast to liverpool boat and saw what was a building site. It was very poor. They certainly didnt give a monkeys about the customers.

Surely the ceo of the company visits the ships? I got the impression that he hasnt visited ships that often? Even as a non undercover agent he has to do this?

I dont accept that the phillipinno worker is paid such a low wage. Its not right. Just beacuse its going on most of the ferries that doesnt make it right.

Re: Stena CEO on Undercover Boss - Channel 4, 6 August Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 02:55:40 am
You'd be surprised how many management level staff in ferry companies have never been aboard a ferry (their own or anyone else's) so not really surprising.
I have long been an advocate of a minimum wage for ALL shipping crews operating into or out of the British Isles , working aboard a ship is no easy job and there is no excuse for poor rates of pay , unfortunately every company will do this if a competitor is using cheap labour (and thats exactly what it is no matter how you dress it up) as not do to so could put you out of business , which is why such a rate would have to be mandatory on ALL ships operating in the area. In my opinion NO ONE on a ship operating from an Irish or British port should be earning less than €10 per hour (I have heard of cases of crews paid LESS than €1 per hour , and in some cases had not been paid for months on end)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 03:02:59 am by colin »

Re: Stena CEO on Undercover Boss - Channel 4, 6 August Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 06:03:08 pm
Totally agree with all of your points, especailly about wages.  Utterly disgraceful.

As for Rosslare check-in times, is the half hour difference because the Innishmore has double-deck loading and the Europe doesn't?

Matt

Re: Stena CEO on Undercover Boss - Channel 4, 6 August Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 08:59:36 am
With regard to the check in times, they advise that you are there to check in 60 mins before departure, that does not mean they won't check you in if you arrive 30 mins before departure, i think they try to get people onto the ship before it leaves !

The last time we were on the Stena Europe there were two cars that arrived onto the ship about 5 minutes before we left Rosslare, I would much rather be early for the ship than get delayed and miss it.

Re: Stena CEO on Undercover Boss - Channel 4, 6 August Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 11:26:47 pm
My point about Stena's check-in times is that they ae completely inconsistent.  Dun Laoghaire is 30 minutes, which I always take to be the very latest time you can check-in, as I would Belfast, which is also 30 minutes.

Dublin Port is 45 minutes, but I wouldn't know if this was really the last time, and I know for certain that Rosslare's 60 minutes check-in time is just the recommended time for being there, not the latest time.  I'd always want to arrive at the port 5-10 minutes before the very latest time that I need to be there.  I have no interest in being at the port in a queue any longer than I need to be and would rather spend any spare time in the nearest town.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 11:28:07 pm by Simon.Manby »

Re: Stena CEO on Undercover Boss - Channel 4, 6 August Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 04:35:51 am
as a foot passenger i have been advised in rosslare to check in 60 minutes before but on average i reckon my best time was maybe 15 minutes before sailing and ive never encountered a problem

Re: Stena CEO on Undercover Boss - Channel 4, 6 August Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 11:51:56 pm
I've always felt with Stena that they are very keen to seek out your feedback after a trip, but I've never seen any of my suggestions implemented, so they just seem to be ignored.  You just get a standard "Thanks for your feedback" response.  For example, I asked them after a recent trip why it was necessary for the Stena Europe at Rosslare to have a 60 minute check-in (8am for a 9am sailing) compared to a 30 minute check-in (8.15 for an 8.45am saling) for IF.  As CIE do all the check-ins anyway, I suspect they check in everyone up until at least 8.15am; we were certainly let through after arriving at 8.10am.

Perhaps I was wrong, and they do take notice ... now seen on the Stenaline website under 24 hour sailing update for Rosslare / Fishguard route:

"Latest Check-In Time
Check-in opens 2 hours before departure. Last check-in 30 minutes before departure. We would recommend checking in at least 60 minutes prior to departure."