Irish Ferries Enthusiasts | Forum

X

Trouble logging in? Click here

COVID-19 and ferry travel(Read 14599 times)
Re: COVID-19 and ferry travel Reply #15 on: June 08, 2020, 12:08:13 pm
Summer season is underway if people choose not to travel they probably will not be entitled to a refund as the full service is now being offered.

Even if the government advice is currently not to travel?

Anyway it looks like the EU want countries to open borders by the end of June
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/coronavirus-eu-travel-border-reopen-quarantine-restrictions-a9550611.html

Re: COVID-19 and ferry travel Reply #16 on: June 08, 2020, 03:31:55 pm
I think the key word is "advice" it is not a ban on travel.

Re: COVID-19 and ferry travel Reply #17 on: June 08, 2020, 05:38:15 pm
WB Yeats may be back on the Cherbourg run but the prices remain very high through to early July, they come in around 1300 euro return for 2 with a car without cabins. They reduce as the month goes on. That suggests to me that they are set at a price to discourage car travel for the next few weeks.

Re: COVID-19 and ferry travel Reply #18 on: June 08, 2020, 05:54:46 pm
WB Yeats may be back on the Cherbourg run but the prices remain very high through to early July, they come in around 1300 euro return for 2 with a car without cabins. They reduce as the month goes on. That suggests to me that they are set at a price to discourage car travel for the next few weeks.

It may discourage new bookings but wont matter to those already booked.

Re: COVID-19 and ferry travel Reply #19 on: June 08, 2020, 06:20:47 pm
I Totally agree the prices for the WB yeats to france for even a quick day trip are very expensive for 2 adults & children without cabins . I thought irish ferries would want a good few bookings to get some revenue in . I usually do the trip to france with Irish ferries two times between June and August but with the prices sky high dont think I will . They should adopt the Ryanair policy seat sales to boost bookings.

Re: COVID-19 and ferry travel Reply #20 on: June 08, 2020, 08:48:15 pm
WB Yeats back on the Dublin-Cherbourg run from tomorrow. I'd assume that Irish Ferries expect some form of tourist travel to be allowed in the near future.
Summer season is underway if people choose not to travel they probably will not be entitled to a refund as the full service is now being offered.

This is where things get complicated. The Department of Foreign affairs is still advising against non-essential travel to France, yet the service is being offered so Irish Ferries would be fulfilling the Sales of Goods act.
I imagine if you choose not to travel, your only option would be to claim under Travel Insurance (usually if the DFA advise not to travel, it's covered).

Ferry operators are in a tough place here (as are airlines). It's costing them a fortune with refunds and laying up equipment, but if they don't show passengers some flexibility, they are going to lose a lot of goodwill.

Re: COVID-19 and ferry travel Reply #21 on: June 09, 2020, 11:20:37 am
Customers who have travel booked up to the 12th July can cancel their booking and receive a credit note in lieu for use in 2021 alternatively they can amend their sailing, with no amendment fees but paying any fare difference, for any sailing up to the 18th December (not an offer anyone should consider) These alternatives must be acted upon at least 72 hours before scheduled sailing. They are also advising that people who have insurance should seek refunds that way.
What happens after 12 July? As of now it appears that you either "use it or lose it".
Full terms on the faq section on IF website covid page

Re: COVID-19 and ferry travel Reply #22 on: June 14, 2020, 11:08:36 am
Brittany ferries restarting Cork-Roscoff on 3rd July. [The prices look to be near normal for high season].

Re: COVID-19 and ferry travel Reply #23 on: June 22, 2020, 02:20:02 pm
Trying to get through to Irish Ferries to apply a refund from March to a new booking. Can't get through on the phone and they don't answer my emails. Any advice?

Re: COVID-19 and ferry travel Reply #24 on: June 22, 2020, 04:16:01 pm
This is what was said on their facebook.
Good morning. We are receiving high volumes of queries at this time and are working hard to respond to all as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.

If you have a query we can assist with, please send through a direct message and we will respond shortly

They are replying to comments on facebook that are queries and issues to do with sailings

Re: COVID-19 and ferry travel Reply #25 on: June 23, 2020, 08:24:48 am
Thanks Futureskipper.

Facebook it is so.

Re: COVID-19 and ferry travel Reply #26 on: June 23, 2020, 11:53:47 am
I hope it works, I've seen them replying to comments, good luck

Re: COVID-19 and ferry travel Reply #27 on: June 24, 2020, 05:31:51 pm
Trying to get through to Irish Ferries to apply a refund from March to a new booking. Can't get through on the phone and they don't answer my emails. Any advice?
I got a response from them on Twitter.

Re: COVID-19 and ferry travel Reply #28 on: December 20, 2020, 04:27:16 pm
Travel restrictions between UK & IRL

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-government-imposes-48-hour-travel-ban-from-britain-in-response-to-new-virus-strain-1.4442011

The Government has imposed a 48-hour ban on non-essential travel from Britain from midnight in response to a fast spreading new Covid-19 variant that has emerged in England.
The ban applies to intending passengers on flights and ferries. No ban or travel restrictions will apply to travel between the Republic and Northern Ireland.

Re: COVID-19 and ferry travel Reply #29 on: December 20, 2020, 10:20:56 pm
Situation to be reviewed in 48 hours but will most likely be extended. Could we see WB Yeats being redeployed ?