P&O Fleet Movements

Started by Collision-course, February 10, 2011, 03:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NathanBrady

Maybe dey been drinking the paint instead of putting it on the boat.  Sounds like P&O been taking something

Steven

Just on Seaway in Larne, I have it in good authority that it was considered dangerous to even attempt to bring Stena Lagan/Mersey into Larne in all but perfect conditions for an underwater survey.  Given they are just 6m longer than Seaway it does look like P&O might be taking things to the limit.  Looking forward to her coming here nonetheless.  It'll be great to see something different and having a Calais ship operating up here for a while.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Steven

Neptune Aegli is expected to arrive in Dublin on the Morning of Sunday 26th to cover P&O's refits.  She looks to be entering service on Tuesday 28th in place of Norbank.

P&O Freight (and a number of crew)  have confirmed that European Seaway will be making her way up to the North Channel at the end of the month. At just over 17m longer than Highlander I assume arrangements will be made to accomodate her.  Most likely she will use the MacKean Quay as it is the largest berth and also has a twin tier linkspan (Seaway was designed without internal ramps).  P&O look to be keeping to the normal timetable, which means Seaway will almost certainly have to operate in drive through mode rather than as a stern only loader.

TC

I thought Seaway would fit. The fact Seaway is a Ro-Ro makes sense for Larne. Norbay, I imagine, was very impractical on a short operation like Larne - Cairnryan.

Pride of Burgundy, Hull, York, Bruges and Canterbury, look very smart after full repaints and refit. Spirit of France recently got a repaint too.

Not sure about Irish Sea. I believe European Endeavour, European Causeway and European Highlander got a full repaints last year, I imagine they will just get certain sections repainted. Decks on European Enderavour could do with a repaint.

RorieLen

European Causeway and European Highlander only had short dry dockings in 2016 if I recall correctly.

European Seaway will be a tight fit at Larne - on paper she shouldn't really fit so I hope P&O have done their homework and she doesn't demolish anything or damage herself while she is there!

Steven

Quote from: RorieLen on March 28, 2017, 05:14:24 PM
European Causeway and European Highlander only had short dry dockings in 2016 if I recall correctly
Correct.  They got a weekend each last year with no cover provided. 

It has been reported that P&O are spending a total of £1.2m on Norbay, Norbank, Causeway, and Highlander this year at Cammell Laird.  £1.2m sounds a lot at first glance, but when you consider the work is to include hull repairs, blasting, paint jobs and deck renewals there surely won't be much money left over for internal refurbishment!  P&O of course have talked up the fact that they are refurbishing the food courts on Highlander and Causeway this year.  All vessels are getting just over 2 weeks each.  It is confirmed Neptune Aegli is covering at Dublin and European Seaway at Larne, with Seaway now having her own information page on the P&O website.  Needless to say it's been a busy year for dry dockings involving Irish Sea vessels.

Quote from: TC on March 25, 2017, 06:38:48 PM
I thought Seaway would fit. The fact Seaway is a Ro-Ro makes sense for Larne. Norbay, I imagine, was very impractical on a short operation like Larne - Cairnryan.

Pride of Burgundy, Hull, York, Bruges and Canterbury, look very smart after full repaints and refit. Spirit of France recently got a repaint too.

Not sure about Irish Sea. I believe European Endeavour, European Causeway and European Highlander got a full repaints last year, I imagine they will just get certain sections repainted. Decks on European Enderavour could do with a repaint.
There doesn't appear to be any plans at the moment to dry dock Endeavour during this period of DD's at least.  There are still question marks over European Seaway but as I said above we can only assume P&O have done their homework, and have robust routines/procedures in place to make it work.  When you talk about Seaway being a roro I assume you meant to refer to her drive through loading capability (all vehicle ferries are roll on roll off, the key is in the name ;) ).  This should in theory help with turnaround times and timekeeping of course.  It also appears that she may have a little more clearance on her vehicle decks than Norbay which will please hauliers I am sure.

Chief

Where has European Highlander gone? It has not registered on Marine Traffic for a few weeks? 

PaddyL

Quote from: Chief on April 18, 2017, 11:04:19 AM
Where has European Highlander gone? It has not registered on Marine Traffic for a few weeks?

Very much business as usual.

To be honest I tend to check company website booking engines as a back-up to MarineTraffic as it isn't always 100%.

Steven

Seaway is delayed by a week as it looks like Norbay's dry docking is going to over-run until next Friday!  Seaway in service on Saturday 6th according to the revised Larne timetable.  Work still ongoing at the berth in Larne by the looks of things as well

ferryfan

Quote from: Steven on April 23, 2017, 08:10:23 PM
Seaway is delayed by a week as it looks like Norbay's dry docking is going to over-run until next Friday!  Seaway in service on Saturday 6th according to the revised Larne timetable.  Work still ongoing at the berth in Larne by the looks of things as well

Seaway is en route expected in Larne tomorrow morning.

Steven

European Seaway left Calais yesterday morning with a destination of Larne.  Currently passing Milford Haven.  As ferryfan says, she's expected in Larne tomorrow morning - approx7/8 am

NathanBrady

What was wrong with Norway?

Steven

Quote from: NathanBrady on May 05, 2017, 09:50:55 PM
What was wrong with Norway?
I believe its quite cold.  You wouldn't like it, the drink is expensive  :o

EUROPEAN SEAWAY entered commercial service this evening with the (slightly late) 20:00 departure from Larne.  EUROPEAN HIGHLANDER is expected to sail for Cammell-Laird in the morning.  As expected it appears she is less than ideal for Larne, BUT it seems so far so good.  They've had a good few days of sea trials in any case, and haven't exactly been conserving fuel either!

Steven

Turnarounds taking a bit longer than normal, but she's making time up enroute which is good to see!

RorieLen

Found some great photos of the European Seaway on the north channel route here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/scottmackey/albums/72157680432865993