Engine room fire on Superfast VIII

Started by Kieran, July 13, 2021, 09:20:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kieran

There was a small engine room fire on Superfast VIII on her way into Belfast last night. RNLI lifeboats from Bangor, Donaghadee and Larn responded, as well as coast guard units. Looks like the crew brought it under control quickly, with no injuries and all passenger disembarked safely.
QuoteStena Line: Fire onboard Cairnryan to Belfast ferry
From BBC News

Coastguard and lifeboat teams were tasked to a fire onboard a Stena Line ferry sailing from Cairnryan to Belfast.

A small blaze broke out in the engine room of the Superfast VIII on Monday at about 21:00 BST.

Stena Line says the fire has now been extinguished.

The vessel was due to arrive in Belfast at about 21:45 local time. It arrived with the assistance of the coastguard and tugs at 22:16.

Passengers safely disembarked the ferry and there are no reports of any injuries.

Lifeboats from Bangor, Donaghadee and Larne were tasked to deal with the incident.

Coastguard rescue teams from Bangor, Portaferry, Larne and Portmuck also attended.

Passengers onboard had been advised to congregate in designated areas after an emergency was declared, when the ferry was in Belfast Lough.

Speaking to BBC News NI, passenger Chris Clotworthy said he was travelling home to Northern Ireland from Glasgow, where he had been for his daughter's graduation.

He said at about 21:00 BST some code words were relayed over the intercom to the crew members onboard.

"Obviously, all sorts of things went through one's mind," he said.

"The boat did a complete 180 degree turn and looked to be heading back to Scotland, this was when it was level with Blackhead (in County Antrim). It then did another complete 180 and stopped."

Mr Clotworthy said the atmosphere onboard was "relatively calm".

ferryfan

That story reminded me of being on the old Duke of Lancaster way back in 1977 or 78 when a fire broke out on the ship (I think there was some renovations works being carried out onboard). Wherever the fire was I was completely oblivious to it and the first I heard about it was when we were approaching the dock in Dun Laoghaire.