Brexit

Started by ferryfan, January 12, 2021, 04:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ferryfan

Drivers of UK or NI registered vehicles arriving into Europe from Ireland are having to provide proof of a negative PCR covid test in the 72 hours prior to arrival or have to provide proof that they are normally resident in the Republic of Ireland.
Meanwhile customs officers busy confiscating sandwiches and other foodstuffs from drivers arriving from the UK into Europe which action seems to be really p*ssing off the right wing pro brexit media who promoted it.

hhvferry

Quote from: ferryfan on January 12, 2021, 04:06:32 PM
Meanwhile customs officers busy confiscating sandwiches and other foodstuffs from drivers arriving from the UK into Europe which action seems to be really p*ssing off the right wing pro brexit media who promoted it.
It's amazing to see Leavers bemoaning other nations asserting their sovereignty and asserting their laws. They were told this would happen and it pretty much had to happen under the Hard Brexit their government chose.

giftgrub

No different from flying into USA or Australia, not allowed to bring in food or foodstuffs end of.

The sad thing is all of this would have been flagged in the four years since the vote, but those who are now offended did not listen or care.

Matt73

Quote from: giftgrub on January 12, 2021, 08:58:43 PM
No different from flying into USA or Australia, not allowed to bring in food or foodstuffs end of.

The sad thing is all of this would have been flagged in the four years since the vote, but those who are now offended did not listen or care.

I'm the last person to bring politics onto an internet forum; recent events in the USA have shown how toxic that can become.  I voted to remain and I'm afraid that none of this has been a great surprise to me.  On the other hand, I've never been a 'remoaner'.  A democratic decision was taken and the UK is going to have to live with the consequences. 

It has been fasincating to read the messages of our Irish friends on here. For those of you who, over the last few years, have been enthusing about the future of Rosslare, I think that Brexit could be the catalyst for a renaissance of the port.  It would be ironic if EU funds were to be used to fund any developments!

Will all of this be the death knell of Fishguard-Rosslare, though?  If so, when?  There has been speculation on here for many years about that. 

There are so many questions and I think that it will take some months for clear trends to develop.  What is certain is that it will be fascinating.

Matt