ICG new ships

Started by Futureskipper, December 03, 2020, 12:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Futureskipper

I just seen a post on NI Ferry site about the potential sale of Pride Of Burgandy and European Seaways to ICG for a combined deal of ?22million.
https://www.niferry.co.uk/po-to-sell-two-ferries-to-irish-ferries-parent/

ccs

If this sale goes through I assume that.ll be the end of Epsilon in IF?

ferryfan

What would they want them for? I know Burgundy had major life extending works done in 2017 and Seaways has visited more dockyards and had a very eventful career. Burgundy can accommodate 1,400 passengers has a large freight capacity 600 cars and 120 freight units Seaways is a much smaller ship with 200 pax and 124 freight units her limit. Maybe they are planning a freight and driver only service from Dublin (because there are no internal ramps on either ship) to Cherbourg.

Futureskipper

NI Ferry site have put a statement up saying that P&O directly contacted the website denying the rumours and the article they posted has been removed

IFPete

:( Maybe they are going to lease them to DFDs for Rosslare - Dunkirk Convoy.

awaityourreply

I noted the retraction regarding the P&O vessels NOT sold to ICG via the website:
https://www.niferry.co.uk/retraction-po-vessels-not-sold/

That said, maybe exploratory enquiries had previously been made and perhaps discussions are at a sensitive stage with prospective buyers which may or may not include operators such as ICG and other firms like DFDS etc; Obviously, the sale has NOT taken place so; P&O could not let such rumours go unchallenged. It will be interesting if the vessels in question are eventually sold and in this event to whom after P&O was forced to categorically deny such rumours. Rumours happen all the time although; I wonder what caused this particular rumour to gain such traction? Are ICG interested in acquiring these vessels but only if the price is right or was it ever even a runner?

IFPete

The two ships would be ideal platforms to build upon, given their current freight capacity.

European Seaway could go straight onto Dublin - Cherbourg opposite the Epsilon allowing a daily frequency and Pride of Burgandy could provide refit cover on Dublin - Holyhead allowing Epsilon to continue un-interupted on Dublin - Cherbourg.

Longer term they could have their superstructures modified to increase their cabin and vehicle capacities.

ferryfan

Quote from: IFPete on December 07, 2020, 08:27:28 PM
The two ships would be ideal platforms to build upon, given their current freight capacity.

European Seaway could go straight onto Dublin - Cherbourg opposite the Epsilon allowing a daily frequency and Pride of Burgandy could provide refit cover on Dublin - Holyhead allowing Epsilon to continue un-interupted on Dublin - Cherbourg.

Longer term they could have their superstructures modified to increase their cabin and vehicle capacities.

Maybe you didn't see the posts but this story is reportedly untrue and has been denied by P&O. Frankly the only thing these ships are fit for is the breakers yard. Burgundy is now on the river fal and seaways is laid up in Tilbury

IFPete

Steven

Given more recent developments, I think it?s pretty obvious what ICG were looking at the ships for!  P&O Ferries? specific denial was that the ships had been sold, NOT that there had been interest (which is what the article actually said).  According to multiple witnesses senior people from Irish Ferries visited the ships.

Question is, did P&O get wind of their plan or did the interest stop for another reason?

Burgundy returns to Dover on Thursday after a while at A&P Falmouth in what is being seen as a response to Irish Ferries.  There have been suggestions from France that Irish Ferries intends to add a second ship in the next couple of months, with a third joining in the new year.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline