Online Shipping Courses

Started by Steam Packet, August 04, 2020, 10:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steam Packet

Hi All, 

I've been trying to find if there are any suitable Online Courses someone could do in order to gain employment, shoreside, in the Ferry (RO-RO/RO-PAX) Industry? Online Courses would be preferable, as there would be no need for relocation or to leave current employment. 

This isn't my area of expertise, and I'm hoping the IFE community can lend a hand. I've found https://shippingcollege.co.uk/course-purchase/diploma-courses/maritime-shipping-diploma-full-upfront-payment-detail this at the Shipping College, but in all honesty I've never heard of them. There aren't a great deal of online reviews from other graduates and I'm just not sure about it...

Can anyone help out? Would be much appreciated. 

Thanks.

Kieran

Is there any area, in particular, you're interested in? If it?s customer-facing, experience in customer service will help you a lot.

If it?s more the Stevedore side, a licence for heavy vehicles or machinery probably will help. I can?t see Safe Pass/Manual Handling going astray, but I?m sure someone will know more about this than me!

Steam Packet

Quote from: Kieran on August 06, 2020, 10:44:39 PM
Is there any area, in particular, you're interested in? If it?s customer-facing, experience in customer service will help you a lot.

If it?s more the Stevedore side, a licence for heavy vehicles or machinery probably will help. I can?t see Safe Pass/Manual Handling going astray, but I?m sure someone will know more about this than me!

Thanks, I'd be interested in working for a Ferry Company, in Operations or related mainly. A customer facing role would be good to get into the Company, but I would love to have a Course I could use if going for promotion. I do have some customer service experience.

I wouldn't be so interested in the stevdore side of things, to be honest.

ferryfan

Seeking employment with a ferry company may not be the dream job you imagine.
Irish Ferries do not recruit staff they use an outsourcing agency called Matrix and employ mostly Eastern European staff and pay them very poorly, (just google Irish Ferries and staff disputes). P&O are laying off staff in the hundreds and Stena Line are in dispute with the RMT over staffing levels and with the TSSA Union over their plans to cut staff sick pay. They have also announced over 150 redundancies.

Kieran

Quick update to this thread:

DSG (who I think still handles Stena) is looking for General Operatives at the moment in Dublin.

Stena are also currently recruiting for a Customer Service Assistant in Heysham, and temporary onboard Steward positions.