Irish Ferries Enthusiasts | Forum

X

Trouble logging in? Click here

How will Ferry Operators stimulate business in 2021 post COVID-19?(Read 5578 times)
Re: How will Ferry Operators stimulate business in 2021 post COVID-19? Reply #15 on: September 21, 2020, 09:05:52 pm
I heard mid October at the latest.

Re: How will Ferry Operators stimulate business in 2021 post COVID-19? Reply #16 on: September 23, 2020, 11:44:49 am
Does anyone know when Irish Ferries will publish 2021 January sailings to France?

I asked back in July when Brittany released theirs, they responded to say "It will be approx September time when we have these schedules available"

Re: How will Ferry Operators stimulate business in 2021 post COVID-19? Reply #17 on: September 23, 2020, 12:49:11 pm
Thanks for those replies. I suppose peering into the foggy mist that the Brexit chaos is producing is a challenge. Do they put the WB Yeats or the Episilon

Re: How will Ferry Operators stimulate business in 2021 post COVID-19? Reply #18 on: September 23, 2020, 02:45:44 pm
Thanks for those replies. I suppose peering into the foggy mist that the Brexit chaos is producing is a challenge. Do they put the WB Yeats or the Episilon

The Brexit uncertanty is compounded by Covid I imagine.

Re: How will Ferry Operators stimulate business in 2021 post COVID-19? Reply #19 on: September 30, 2020, 03:38:16 pm
If ever we were in "uncharted waters" it is now and for the foreseeable future given all the uncertainty between the BREXIT transition heading towards one of these possible outcomes by year end: (i) Deal which looks unlikely, (ii) Compromised fudge at last minute or (iii) No Deal.

On top of this you have the Coronavirus COVID-19 and the ongoing travel restrictions and then you have yet more upheaval due to Climate Change CO2 Emissions changes coming down the line in major areas like Energy & Transport etc;. I did not even mention Recession as jobs are either axed or hours are cut  and how the end of the government furlough schemes down the line.

Not sure if all ferry operators and indeed all route options will continue into 2021 at this rate and similar worries across the whole aviation sector. The irony is that we will never need more routes once it is safe to travel as tourism will need to press the reset button from a very low point. I sincerely hope that all if not most providers can manage to keep their their heads above water in such tough challenging times and the worst could be yet to come once governments decide to reign in spending as that day will come in time I suspect.     

Well put awaityoureply.
 I didn't appreciate the 3 formidable challenges until I read your post
 On Brexit my guess is it will probably be (ii) Compromised fudge at last minute. Johnson will hale it as a stunning victory.
" I sincerely hope that all if not most providers can manage to keep their their heads above water in such tough challenging times and the worst could be yet to come once governments decide to reign in spending as that day will come in time I suspect."   
Its a bleak picture

And if the return of Ireland's Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Tony Holohan strongly recommends to the Irish Government that the whole country now should move to the most severe Level 5 Restrictions = Lockdown II for a minimum of X 4 Weeks who knows where we go then? - This will ensure no October Bank Holiday Wkd or Hallowe'en public/outdoor/indoor activities in effect apart from 5km exercise limits from home. This makes the whole "Stay & Spend in Ireland" scheme redundant for all customers & businesses and coming on the back of such a bleak 2020, things will continue to remain grim and uncertain throughout most if not all of 2021 as I suspect that public confidence may not return after so many false dawns.

Next year, tourists will be looking to avail of vouchers unused from 2020 with little new business coming in.

Ferry Companies in trouble/Route Closures/Job Losses are probably now only just a matter of time.

Return to lockdown is a pretty grim scenario. However there are hints in the UK press that the vaccine [Triumph, the one being developed in Oxford] will be available by the end of the year. Might not be so bad.

Even if a vaccine is approved by year end, the length of time before it is distributed to the mass population could take some period of time. There is also a strong possibility that a significant % of people may not be willing to accept such a vaccine at an early stage which would be a concern. Some may be reluctant to get on board in case of unknown negative side-effects while others may never accept a vaccine. I think transport operators will be very cautious about running any new or additional services in 2021 unless they are given compensation especially after a disastrous 2020 in their tourism business as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. 

I'd love that to be correct but a friend in that business (medical research) thinks we are at least a year away. The Asians are a couple of months ahead of USA, EU, UK and they don't have one. However what is improving however is treatment for Covid 19.