DFDS charter Stena EFlexer

Started by giftgrub, April 24, 2018, 10:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giftgrub

First there were four for the Irish Sea then Britanny Ferries took one, now DFDS have taken one, leaving Stena with Two.

https://www.dfds.com/news-and-media/news/dfds-charters-new-ship-for-the-english-channel-in-2021

Replacing Calais Seaways on Dover Calais.

giftgrub

Apparently it is the fifth ship that DFDS have chartered, however the extra orders have not been officially confiirmed yet.

http://www.xn--landgngen-92a.se/index.php?topic=274.0

RorieLen

Here's a translation of what CEO Per Westling at Stena RoRo says to Maritime magazine that "the newbuilding to DFDS is the fifth ropax vessel in the series, that is, the first option declared.
- All newbuilds in the series have employment, three go to Stena Line, one to Brittany Ferries and one to DFDS."

Steven

Quote from: RorieLen on April 25, 2018, 05:53:56 AM
Here's a translation of what CEO Per Westling at Stena RoRo says to Maritime magazine that "the newbuilding to DFDS is the fifth ropax vessel in the series, that is, the first option declared.
- All newbuilds in the series have employment, three go to Stena Line, one to Brittany Ferries and one to DFDS."
Now we just need them to confirm deployments for the 3 going to Stena.  Assuming there only is 3 and they don't take more options of course!
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

TC

From the photos on NI Ferry Site, the DFDS E-Flexer looks very smart. I am a confident she will prove to be a good vessel. She looks a good bit different from the Stena vessels - far less cabins and more passenger accommodation.

If it is the case Stena are deploying two vessels rather than three on the Irish Sea, then perhaps one will replace Superfast X (Holyhead - Dublin) and the second replace Stena Horizon (Rosslare - Cherbourg). Horizon could well become a third ship at Birkenhead.

Naturally, P&O won't be too pleased, but I'm confident they have two (possibly three) fine vessels in the pipeline. It'll be interesting to see if they choose a European / Scandinavian yard (Aker Yards, Fincantieri etc), or go with an Asian group.

Steven

Quote from: TC on April 25, 2018, 02:12:31 PM
From the photos on NI Ferry Site, the DFDS E-Flexer looks very smart. I am a confident she will prove to be a good vessel. She looks a good bit different from the Stena vessels - far less cabins and more passenger accommodation.

If it is the case Stena are deploying two vessels rather than three on the Irish Sea, then perhaps one will replace Superfast X (Holyhead - Dublin) and the second replace Stena Horizon (Rosslare - Cherbourg). Horizon could well become a third ship at Birkenhead.

Naturally, P&O won't be too pleased, but I'm confident they have two (possibly three) fine vessels in the pipeline. It'll be interesting to see if they choose a European / Scandinavian yard (Aker Yards, Fincantieri etc), or go with an Asian group.

As Rorie put above, Stena are still taking three - you aren't going to get anymore official than Per Westling himself!  There's been no indication yet that Birkenhead isn't getting two or that the remaining unit isn't coming to the Irish Sea either.  If Horizon is replaced with anything it's likely to be one of the present Birkenhead units cascaded, and even that is if there is a strong enough business case to stop them from going to the Baltic for example of course (assuming further E-Flexers aren't ordered for there).  A third Visentini wouldn't work at Birkenhead for a number of reasons, the main one being that a third departure time wouldn't particularly suit accompanied traffic OR tourist passengers. Due to the time required for turnaround you are always going to have a departure either leaving or departing in the middle of the night or in the afternoon, in a similar way to how precision's schedule operates at present - a schedule that exploits a window when the terminals are free.  Unless a significant amount of accompanied freight or passengers are being carried there's no point in putting another passenger vessel such as a Visentini RoPax on to be wasted and have higher costs.  The Birkenhead route has been successful because the current departure times suit both hauliers and tourists, so there's no sense in moving those times either to suit a third vessel and cannibalise existing business (even if it is possible). 

The only way left to provide the needed increase in capacity after moving unaccompanied freight to a dedicated vessel (the point of deploying Precision) to free up space in the passenger ships is to replace the current Visentini units with something that has more capacity.  At present the only realistic option for that is 2 E-Flexers.

P&O's response will be interesting, but I've been told quite recently not to expect any newbuild announcement from them in the near future as the "project" is still some way off from being ready.  Perhaps they'll find a new sense of urgency now!  It is perhaps worth bearing in mind though that DFDS are only replacing the smallest vessel (and arguably the weakest link) in the Dover fleet.  Even so, the prides can't go on forever and some would argue they are already knackered!  I believe Kent has had some refurbishment work done during her 4 month (and counting) break, perhaps Canterbury and even Burgundy could get the same in the next year or so.  Even then, there's a lot of hours on these vessels mechanically and they can't have many years daily service left.

TC

I recall reading an interview with then CEO of P&O, Helen Deeble, and she pointed to 2020 as the target. She did add though, the first unit could be introduced in late 2019.

I would be surprised if such a vessel arrived by then, but P&O consider Dover - Calais sacred. The thought of another company getting the upper hand would be horrifying (and they could view it from Channel House in 'real time').

It shouldn't come as a surprise tho. Calais Seaways (despite quite thorough dry-docking's) looks quite ancient.

The Pride of Kent and  Pride of Canterbury, look pretty smart given they have been sailing on the channel in their current guise since 2003. I think their design is very impressive. It would be sad to see them go to scrap.

Pride of Burgundy and European Seaway need to be replaced. I imagine it's quite a difference travelling on Spirit of France / Britain and then going on the Burgundy.

Having said that, I would prefer to see the classic P&O typeface and house flag. The POferries.com livery and marketing looked far better than the current look.

Steven

Quote from: TC on April 25, 2018, 11:54:59 PM
I recall reading an interview with then CEO of P&O, Helen Deeble, and she pointed to 2020 as the target. She did add though, the first unit could be introduced in late 2019.

I would be surprised if such a vessel arrived by then, but P&O consider Dover - Calais sacred. The thought of another company getting the upper hand would be horrifying (and they could view it from Channel House in 'real time').

It shouldn't come as a surprise tho. Calais Seaways (despite quite thorough dry-docking's) looks quite ancient.

The Pride of Kent and  Pride of Canterbury, look pretty smart given they have been sailing on the channel in their current guise since 2003. I think their design is very impressive. It would be sad to see them go to scrap.

Pride of Burgundy and European Seaway need to be replaced. I imagine it's quite a difference travelling on Spirit of France / Britain and then going on the Burgundy.

Having said that, I would prefer to see the classic P&O typeface and house flag. The POferries.com livery and marketing looked far better than the current look.
Have you been on Canterbury lately?  In the recent pictures I've seen she looks far from "smart", quite the opposite actually.  With regard to Seaway needing replaced she isn't used nearly as intensively as the others.  I'm told that she's mechanically better off than the others, in no doubt at least partially due to lower utilisation and her layups in the past.  If P&O do decide to replace 3 with 2 as expected, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Seaway as the vessel retained despite her lack of pax accommodation.

Anyway, back on topic.  Stena have now put out a press release of their own.  The key quote of interest to us being
Quote""In addition to this order, we also recently concluded a similar deal with the French ferry operator Brittany Ferries. The other three vessels will be operated by Stena Line on the Irish Sea", Per Westling said."

And the full text

Quote"Stena RoRo signs contract for newbuild for long-term charter to DFDS
THU, APR 26, 2018 10:17 CET
The vessel now ordered is the fifth in the Stena E-Flexer RoPax class and Stena RoRo has a further three options on vessels for delivery from 2021 and onwards. The newbuild has been signed to a 10-year bareboat charter with DFDS. The new ferry will operate in the English Channel between Dover and Calais. With a capacity of 3,100 lane metres and up to 1,000 passengers, the vessel will be DFDS's largest ferry operating in the English Channel. The ship will be designed to the highest technical and environmental standard and will offer an anticipated 25 per cent lower fuel consumption compared with today's ferries.

In 2016, Stena RoRo placed an order for four large RoPax vessels with the Chinese shipyard AVIC International with an option for a further four vessels. The vessel now ordered is the fifth in the series.

"The design of the ship will be worked out in close cooperation with DFDS. This deal is a good example of how we work being the largest and most well-known tonnage provider in the RoPax segment", says Per Westling, MD of Stena RoRo.''

The order is part of DFDS's renewal of its fleet and will replace one of the six ferries currently operating in the English Channel.

"These ships have been designed not only to the highest standards of technical and environmental performance but also with a high degree of flexibility, thus ensuring that the design can be modified in order to fulfill our clients specific needs. As a tonnage provider we are very pleased and proud to be trusted by DFDS to develop this vessel for their very intensive English Channel service", says Per Westling.

"In addition to this order, we also recently concluded a similar deal with the French ferry operator Brittany Ferries. The other three vessels will be operated by Stena Line on the Irish Sea", Per Westling said.
https://news.cision.com/stena-roro/r/stena-roro-signs-contract-for-newbuild-for-long-term-charter-to-dfds%2cc2506314

TC

Quote from: Steven on April 26, 2018, 11:57:48 AM
Quote from: TC on April 25, 2018, 11:54:59 PM

Have you been on Canterbury lately?  In the recent pictures I've seen she looks far from "smart", quite the opposite actually.  With regard to Seaway needing replaced she isn't used nearly as intensively as the others.  I'm told that she's mechanically better off than the others, in no doubt at least partially due to lower utilisation and her layups in the past.  If P&O do decide to replace 3 with 2 as expected, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Seaway as the vessel retained despite her lack of pax accommodation.

Anyway, back on topic.  Stena have now put out a press release of their own.  The key quote of interest to us being
Quote""In addition to this order, we also recently concluded a similar deal with the French ferry operator Brittany Ferries. The other three vessels will be operated by Stena Line on the Irish Sea", Per Westling said."

And the full text

Quote"Stena RoRo signs contract for newbuild for long-term charter to DFDS
THU, APR 26, 2018 10:17 CET
The vessel now ordered is the fifth in the Stena E-Flexer RoPax class and Stena RoRo has a further three options on vessels for delivery from 2021 and onwards. The newbuild has been signed to a 10-year bareboat charter with DFDS. The new ferry will operate in the English Channel between Dover and Calais. With a capacity of 3,100 lane metres and up to 1,000 passengers, the vessel will be DFDS's largest ferry operating in the English Channel. The ship will be designed to the highest technical and environmental standard and will offer an anticipated 25 per cent lower fuel consumption compared with today's ferries.

In 2016, Stena RoRo placed an order for four large RoPax vessels with the Chinese shipyard AVIC International with an option for a further four vessels. The vessel now ordered is the fifth in the series.

"The design of the ship will be worked out in close cooperation with DFDS. This deal is a good example of how we work being the largest and most well-known tonnage provider in the RoPax segment", says Per Westling, MD of Stena RoRo.''

The order is part of DFDS's renewal of its fleet and will replace one of the six ferries currently operating in the English Channel.

"These ships have been designed not only to the highest standards of technical and environmental performance but also with a high degree of flexibility, thus ensuring that the design can be modified in order to fulfill our clients specific needs. As a tonnage provider we are very pleased and proud to be trusted by DFDS to develop this vessel for their very intensive English Channel service", says Per Westling.

"In addition to this order, we also recently concluded a similar deal with the French ferry operator Brittany Ferries. The other three vessels will be operated by Stena Line on the Irish Sea", Per Westling said.
https://news.cision.com/stena-roro/r/stena-roro-signs-contract-for-newbuild-for-long-term-charter-to-dfds%2cc2506314

From a design perspective I find Pride of Canterbury / Kent quite attractive. Naturally there will be areas that need attention, though I would consider Delft, Dover, and Dunquerque Seaways, more worn internally. You certainly don't get the impression you're on a ship built in 1992. I found them very light and airy when I travelled on them. From the more recent interior footage / pictures, they don't look bad. I could envisage Seaway & Burgundy being replaced by something close to the Spirit's, and the Kent and Canterbury being retained, tho operated on a lighter schedule - perhaps in a role similar to Seafrance Renoir and Manet.

Steven

QuoteI could envisage Seaway & Burgundy being replaced by something close to the Spirit's, and the Kent and Canterbury being retained, tho operated on a lighter schedule - perhaps in a role similar to Seafrance Renoir and Manet

You might be surprised which vessel goes first then  ;)

I personally think P&O could do a lot worse than going down the road DFDS have here.  I don't think we'll be seeing a repeat of the Spirits anyway.  More likely something a bit less complex and possibly a bit smaller.  Probably a good bit more economical as well - I believe they are a lot more thirsty than their running mates.

Anyway, seems there's been something put into the coffee at DFDS.  Suddenly they've confirmed 3 passenger ferry orders in the space of a couple of months.  Coupled with RoRo orders and the takeover of UN RoRo they seem to be flexing their muscles a bit of late!

Shiplover62

Côte d'Opale maiden arrival at Calais this morning

giftgrub

Feature on Cote D'Opale in this months Ships Monthly