Irish Ferries Enthusiasts | Forum

Author Topic: Isle of Man Steam Packet Company Fleet Movements  (Read 847 times)

Steam Packet

• View Profile
Isle of Man Steam Packet Company Fleet Movements
« on: February 22, 2018, 02:57:41 AM »
Just though I'd start this thread to allow members to track the movements of the IoMSPCo Fleet.

I'll start things off by reporting that Arrow has departed Anchorage on the 21.02.18 at 0600 for Holyhead Port. Arrow entered Holyhead at 1113 and berthed at 1132.

Also, just out of interest, what berth is she currently on in Holyhead?

RorieLen

• View Profile
Re: Isle of Man Steam Packet Company Fleet Movements
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 06:00:31 AM »
She is not on a berth, she is alongside the Rio Tinto jetty I think.

ferryfan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 10:24:29 PM »
The Isle of Man Government is proposing to purchase 100% of the Steampacket Company for £124 million.

giftgrub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 10:31:41 PM »
Not a massive fan of nationalisation but this does make sense, hopefully will still be run like a private company and focus on delivering a return for both customers and stakeholders, some big investment due as replacing Ben and Manannan coming due soon.

Could never understand why they did not buy the Hammeroddes sister ship which ended up down under as Straitsman a variation on the Ben design, which was a junior version of Isle of Inishfree.

TC

• WHEN IT MATTERS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 10:36:28 PM »
Ben-my-Chree is 20 years old. That's hardly ancient. I would say IOMSPC could keep her sailing for another 10 / 12 years. Pride of Burgundy is a good few years older, and will likely be around for the next three or four years.

Steven

• View Profile
    • NI Ferry Site
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 06:30:55 AM »
I know Iím not the only one questioning the price tag of £124m!  For two vessels which some say are part their best (the Ben was £24m new and Manannan cost around the same to acquire), the takeover of a soon to expire user agreement which the government themselves will re-award, and access to Heysham and Liverpool (and of course the port that the Manx governement own already!) it does sound like a lot of money.  I get the feeling the Steam Packets debt is a factor, and of course the desire to get their hands on the brand.  I would suggest they need to bring in some people with real knowledge and experience of the ferry industry and not just continue as things were on the management side or worse, try to run it themselves.  Thatís if the deal gets approved of course.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Webmaster of www.niferry.co.uk
Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Steven

• View Profile
    • NI Ferry Site
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 06:38:09 AM »
Not a massive fan of nationalisation but this does make sense, hopefully will still be run like a private company and focus on delivering a return for both customers and stakeholders, some big investment due as replacing Ben and Manannan coming due soon.

Could never understand why they did not buy the Hammeroddes sister ship which ended up down under as Straitsman a variation on the Ben design, which was a junior version of Isle of Inishfree.

Ben would be closer to a shortened Norbay I would have thought.   With Dueodde/Straitsman the problem is where do you use her?  Itís not like they are using Arrow a lot.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Webmaster of www.niferry.co.uk
Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Collision-course

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 10:44:04 PM »
Yes £124 million is very overpriced for a company that small, but I also suspect debt is the factor at play, I read elsewhere that IOMSP had debts of £74 million, and that a realistic valuation of the company was £45-50 million, so it looks like they paid what the company was worth and paid off the debt as well in a single movement commercial transaction.