Stena Europe 2018 Dry Docking

Started by giftgrub, February 05, 2018, 07:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giftgrub

Stena Europe arrived in Falmouth this morning having finished service with the Fishguard Rosslare crossing yesterday evening.

It is due to move into Dry dock number 2 this evening around 7.30.

The usual Maritime Museum webcam seems to be no more

Only webcam with a glimpse of the harbour on link below.

https://www.visitfalmouth.com/about-falmouth/web-cams/

Image of its last Falmouth visit in 2016

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=2412022

giftgrub

Now I n drydock, hopefully the refit will progress to plan and unlike the last time it was in Falmouth it arrives back on time.

All works are expected to be engineering based with no changes to passenger areas expected.

Just wish they would sand blast and paint the railings on the outside decks (they are showing their age)and do the window frames on the passenger decks.

PaddyL

Can't see that much happening if she is going to get a big refit next year.

seaman

Seems it's way more than just TLC, saw pictures that the second flapse of the stern ramps will be going, similar like the Normandy had, and that they seem to prepare for the MES as well.

TC

The rust streaking seems to be a bit of an issue. Pride of Burgundy also seems to suffer from this.

Pride of York and Pride of Bruges are certainly aging well. No rust-streaking like this!

Not sure how wise Stena were putting the green waves on her...

hhvferry

Pride of York and Bruges sit alongside every day, they should look in pretty good shape given the amount of time available for maintenance (and they do often look decidedly ropey onboard).

giftgrub

A more recent image

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=2809787

Think the bar running below the deck railings full length of Europe has been removed, hard to see but lots of dots where there was a rusted bar

TC

Quote from: hhvferry on February 10, 2018, 04:56:55 PM
Pride of York and Bruges sit alongside every day, they should look in pretty good shape given the amount of time available for maintenance (and they do often look decidedly ropey onboard).

I think that's a bit harsh. In areas they are a little dated, and the refit is questionable. However, I always found them clean and in good condition. I found Oscar Wilde far worse for wear internally, and the crew weren't as good as P&O or Stena.

Remember the Zeebrugge twins are at sea in very strong swells for relatively long periods, getting hammered by pretty much whatever the North Sea can throw at them - and it's very seldom that they get cancelled.

I am a little surprised how advanced the weathering is on Stena Europe. Stena Line certainly don't penny pinch on paint and the windows look pretty atrocious. She looks like a ship that hasn't had a refit for about 3 or 4 years. As I said - Pride of Burgundy is really the only vessel that comes to mind with such a prolific rust issue on windows, railings etc - and let's face it, she has a very intensive schedule to keep to, with a very meagre annual refit.

lynx1

all the windows and frames and top railings are getting replaced in next years dry dock

giftgrub

Latest update on drydock, stern doors have been removed from Europe, images have been posted on the Facebook of the three stern doors in the bottom of the drydock.

One assumes major refurbishment to be carried out on them ? Or possibly even replaced ?

Also plenty of rust resistant paint (previously called red lead type stuff) has been applied to all the window surrounds and usual patching over rust spots has been done.

giftgrub

Stern doors are to be reduced in length, the outer section is being removed, basically cut in half meaning Europe will be closer to the ramp in Rosslare. Thus reducing the complexity and improving the reliability of the stern doors.

seaman

Saw photos at Instagram where I could see that they also have mounted a new sign with the Stena Europe name on it on deck 10, exactly the same style as the Stena Vision/Spirit and the Britannica/Hollandica.

Explains why the old nameplate on deck 10 was gone later on.

giftgrub

Sounds good, also images that for some reason have no links confirm that on both sides of the Europe the rusty bar that ran below the deck railings full length of the ship have been removed, slightly altering the appearance.

Bar clearly visible in this shot below deck railings.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/scottmackey/32201710841/in/album-72157623466806142/