where do we think stenas new ships will end up

Started by market knowledge, September 09, 2016, 02:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NathanBrady

Quote from: VSFXX on October 09, 2016, 07:17:49 PM
Quote from: TC on October 06, 2016, 07:54:19 PM
I can't see the new ships being deployed on the Belfast - Cairnryan run. My hunch is two will go to Birkenhead and two will go to Holyhead.

Stena Adventurer could replace Stena Jutlandica, which could be transfered to operate in lieu of Stena Danica. Superfast X could replace Stena Nautica / Stena Europe.

This hunch was confirmed by Stena crew to me a while back
One is going to Brittany ferry though so dat can't be rite 

giftgrub

Old thread resurrected, since last info posted rumours indicate

E-Flexer 1 to replace Superfast X
E-Flexer 2 to Belfast replace Mersey or Lagan
E-Flexer 3 to Brittany Ferries
E-Flexer 4 to Belfast replace Mersey or Lagan

Options on four more

To be confirmed and likely to be modified versions of first generation possibly E-Flexer +, greater vessel size with potential for either greater Pax/Freight capacity mix allowing replacement for either Danica/Jutlandica, Scandinavica/ Germanica or Spirit/ Vision

Steven

Quote from: giftgrub on January 11, 2018, 09:20:20 PM

Options on four more

To be confirmed and likely to be modified versions of first generation possibly E-Flexer +, greater vessel size with potential for either greater Pax/Freight capacity mix allowing replacement for either Danica/Jutlandica, Scandinavica/ Germanica or Spirit/ Vision
Sorry, but the bit on options sounds like pure speculation to me based on the age of certain vessels. 
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

giftgrub

Quote from: Steven on January 11, 2018, 09:32:51 PM
Quote from: giftgrub on January 11, 2018, 09:20:20 PM

Options on four more

Sorry, but the bit on options sounds like pure speculation to me based on the age of certain vessels.

There were reported at time of orders options for four more vessels, usually based on experience with builds and market conditions options are likely to be taken if circumstances dictate it is beneficial, given the unique situation as the first major order from Stena with a Chinese shipyard it is obviously speculation if they are going to take up the options or not, however if they do it is likely that they would use the experience of the first four to fine tune the design and at some stage they will have to invest in areas other than the Irish Sea, given this info I would think a modified version of E-Flexer is likely, however they might not take up the options at all, making this irrelevant.

Båtåkaren

Well, its time for my first post in this forum ;)

I live in Sweden, and there are som rumours thats going at the moment.

The rumour is that Stena Lagan and Stena Mersey will replace Stena Flavia and Scottish Viking on the Nynäshamn (Sweden) - Ventspils (Latvia) route.

Anyone more that have heard that?

IFPete

That makes a lot of sence. Any Rumours about the replacement of Stena Jutlandica

RorieLen

I have heard similar rumours about Stena Lagan and Stena Mersey replacing Scottish Viking and Stena Flavia.

Why would they replace the Stena Jutlandica though? By all accounts she is very successful on the Goteborg-Fredrikshavn route and carries large amounts of freight.

IFPete

Both Stena Danica and Jutlandica are of an age that both could be replaced by new tonnage.

PaddyL

Quote from: IFPete on January 26, 2018, 12:26:11 PM
Both Stena Danica and Jutlandica are of an age that both could be replaced by new tonnage.

Stena have said very publicly that the Danica will stick around for a long time yet and have just added a new bar area on her top deck as seen in recent pictures.

The Jutlandica isn't that old and is still very fit for purpose.

Ships don't need replaced because of age provided they are running well and meet all regulations, they will only be replaced if no longer suitable for the traffic on the route.

Niall

Quote from: RorieLen on January 25, 2018, 08:02:49 PM
I have heard similar rumours about Stena Lagan and Stena Mersey replacing Scottish Viking and Stena Flavia.

Why would they replace the Stena Jutlandica though? By all accounts she is very successful on the Goteborg-Fredrikshavn route and carries large amounts of freight.

Hold on isn't Stena Horizon being replaced by either Stena Lagan or Stena Mersey at Rosslare. Unless Stena Flavia replaces the Horizon when the time comes.

IFPete

Better to move the two ships as a pair,

With the competition coming from Irish Ferries and Brittany Ferries maybe Stena will rethink there strategy on Rosslare - Cherbourg,

RorieLen

Quote from: Niall on January 26, 2018, 03:48:58 PM

Hold on isn't Stena Horizon being replaced by either Stena Lagan or Stena Mersey at Rosslare. Unless Stena Flavia replaces the Horizon when the time comes.

Where was this ever said? At best it was some sort of rumour among the enthusiast community was it not?!

RorieLen

Quote from: PaddyL on January 26, 2018, 03:00:48 PM
Quote from: IFPete on January 26, 2018, 12:26:11 PM

Stena have said very publicly that the Danica will stick around for a long time yet and have just added a new bar area on her top deck as seen in recent pictures.

The Jutlandica isn't that old and is still very fit for purpose.

Ships don't need replaced because of age provided they are running well and meet all regulations, they will only be replaced if no longer suitable for the traffic on the route.

The Jutlandica is very fit for her current purpose indeed and caters well for the freight segment on the Goteborg-Fredrikshavn route. The Danica is a different beast altogether and has just had significant money spent on various onboard upgrades to tap into increased demand for mini-cruises.

PaddyL

Further to comments elsewhere that it seems most likely (but again unconfirmed) that the Lagan and Mersey will replace the Flavia and Scottish Viking, I wouldn't even say that the Flavia will replace the Horizon as her accommodation configuration is much more profitable for the Cherbourg route. 

Of course this may change depending on how things bottle down with Irish Ferries.

Matt73

Quote from: PaddyL on January 30, 2018, 10:53:36 AM

Further to comments elsewhere that it seems most likely (but again unconfirmed) that the Lagan and Mersey will replace the Flavia and Scottish Viking, I wouldn't even say that the Flavia will replace the Horizon as her accommodation configuration is much more profitable for the Cherbourg route. 

Of course this may change depending on how things bottle down with Irish Ferries.

The recent investment in the Danica will mean she will be on the route until at least 2021/22; this point was made to me by crew on the Scandiavica last April.

Neither ship will be replaced unless there is a sound business case to do so.

Matt