Irish Ferries Enthusiasts | Forum

Your guide to Ireland's ferry services

News:Welcome to the Irish Ferries Enthusiasts forum.

BF Pont Aven Cancellations

(Read 2435 times)

ClareGirl

  • Member
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 0
Have been enjoying this forum for a number of months, but posting for the first time. 
We’re (4 of us) booked on the Pont Aven from Cork to Roscoff on June 22nd, but with today’s announcement that it’s going to be out of service until June 14th, we’re anxious that a further delay will impact on our sailing.
So, our dilemma........  Do we hold tough and hope for the best? Or do we try to cancel and get a refund from BF and book the WB Yeats instead?  Or will BF refuse to refund us when our ferry is not yet cancelled?
Do any of you knowledgeable folk have any insights into the chances of the Pont Aven actually getting back in service by June 14th?
What would you do.......?
Thank you.

Kevin1

  • Member
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 0
Hi Claregirl, I am in much the same boat and have been agonising over this for the past couple of days.  I am undecided.  It would be nice to get a positive sign from BF on their website (e.g 'our repairs are going well and we are optimistic of return to sailing by mid June'), but so far nothing.

  As far I know, at this stage out from your journey BF will refund your ticket minus the deposit (so you would lose about 1/4 of what you paid).  Also, sailing with IF on the WBYeats will cost a fair amount more than current booking (at least it does for me), so your outlay in this maneuvre will be substantial (for me, with a car and 4 passengers it came to approx. 400 lost on the deposit plus an other 350 on the increment in the IF price, so 750 euro extra on a return sailing that had cost about 1500.

If BF wanted to show some good will they would be more generous with their refund for June sailings, given the current uncertainty, but they are French so I suspect you will get the gallic shrug (you won't see it over the phone).  I would have serious doubts about the June 14 expected return to sailings - it is more or less two weeks from their breakdown so probably the shipyard just said "maybe we can do it in a fortnight", however I am only guessing.

If they ultimately cancel the late June sailings as seems likely, they will have to give everyone a full refund.  My thinking is that I can then get my accomodation costs back on my insurance and I will then cut my losses for the summer by getting some flights to somewhere in Europe for a week to keep the family happy.

It depends on your gamblers instinct and your wallet!

DaveW1946

  • Member
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 0
We were due on Cork-Roscoff on 8 June, but had 12 days notice of our sailing being cancelled. Not direct notification from BF only by checking the Pont Aven Update on the header on BF's website twice a day. Learnt on 28 May that PA not back in service until 14/6, so rapidly booked WB Yeats but had to accept sailing two days later. Hope this helped

Kevin1

  • Member
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 0
further study of this situation seems to reveal that if you cancel, then you get a travel voucher as a refund (minus your deposit).  You decision to cancel might then depend at least partly on your enthusiasm for travelling to France again sometime in the future.  If they cancel the sailing completely then I presume they refund you fully in cash.  I don't know how long these 'travel vouchers' lasts for.

Trucker

  • Member
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 0
Dont cancel.
They must provide you with alternative sailings.
I'm on holiday in France at the minute, and tried last Monday to book IF Cherbourg Dublin for 7th June, but every cabin booked due to Brittany Ferry transfers  (this is what I was told).  Stena is the same situation.
We are on IF Cherbourg Dublin Wednesday 5th, cutting our holiday 2 days short, not a major issue, as people are in worse predicaments.

Trucker

  • Member
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 0
https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/brittany-ferries-customer-says-he-was-shoddily-treated-927791.html
Have a read of that.
This is why you should not cancel.
They expect customers to make a claim on their travel insurance.
Handy way out for Brittany Ferries.

Kevin1

  • Member
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 0
I'm not so sure.  What if they simply cannot offer alternative sailings?  As we get into July all the return IF sailings will be full.  Did they organise and pay for your IF sailing back to Ireland?

Trucker

  • Member
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 0
No, I didn't have any ferry booking made.
Due to work commitments I didn't know if we could stay until the Wednesday or Friday, and when I went to book IF for the Friday,  all cabins were booked.
Stena on Friday are the same.
I rang IF and was told it was due to Brittany Ferry transfers.
They did say to call back as often as I want as cabins do become available due to people altering their travel
But if the ship is that full, I just don't want to be on it anyway.
So I booked for Wednesday.
Plus if there are no alternative direct ferries, they will have to offer you Landbridge through UK.
PITA ,but will get you there.
If you cancel yourself, you have little chance of getting a refund, and you must then find another route to your destination.