Two former Irish Sea Ferries facing the end

Started by giftgrub, February 16, 2014, 09:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven

Quote from: Steven on September 03, 2015, 05:57:06 PM
According to a comment left on niferrysite by someone in Albania,  Ibn Batouta WILL enter service from Albania, but will take a while to sort out.
Shippax have suggested Ibn Batouta will be refitted in Macedonia.
Quote from: Ainos on October 19, 2015, 02:10:30 PM
Hello,

I can confirm that the Bari is still very active! I travelled on her this summer from Bari to Sami (Kefalonia) and I found her to be in excellent condition :)
She is in fact, according to statements from Ventouris Ferries, the most reliable ferry they have.

In the winter months, she will be used again on the route between Bari and Durres (Albania).

Below is a picture taken in August in Sami:

Excellent.  Im not surprised she is proving to be reliable.  In some ways they were over-engineered. 
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Ainos

Hi Steven,

there seems to be a small problem. Macedonia (FYROM) has no access to the Mediterranean Sea. They have only rivers and lakes. I think, they mean Montenegro.

One small question regarding the St. Anselm. Had the cabins (including the ex-crew cabins) on deck 5 always private facilities?

Regards

P.S.: I have rarely seen such a robust built ship :)

Steven

Quote from: Ainos on October 22, 2015, 08:23:34 PM
Hi Steven,

there seems to be a small problem. Macedonia (FYROM) has no access to the Mediterranean Sea. They have only rivers and lakes. I think, they mean Montenegro.

One small question regarding the St. Anselm. Had the cabins (including the ex-crew cabins) on deck 5 always private facilities?

Regards

P.S.: I have rarely seen such a robust built ship :)

You are of course correct Ainos, many thanks for the correction.  The article says that she was to undergo extensive refurbishment in Bijela.  The interior photographs I have seen suggest it will need to be a very intensive and thorough refurbishment indeed to get her into an acceptable condition for any service!

Ainos

You are welcome, Steven :)

Yes, indeed, the refurbishment will be expensive, but in my opinion, it's worth it. They will get a excellent ship.

Have a nice day!

Steven

Suggestions that Le Rif (ex Galloway Princess, Stena Galloway) has been sold at auction for a mere €824,000.  Given the low price (never mind her condition) it would appear she could be about to make her final trip.

Steven

Quote from: Steven on April 23, 2016, 09:36:03 AM
Suggestions that Le Rif (ex Galloway Princess, Stena Galloway) has been sold at auction for a mere €824,000.  Given the low price (never mind her condition) it would appear she could be about to make her final trip.
I've done some further digging, and Le Rif was indeed sold at auction at the start of April.  However, the purchaser (an outfit by the name World Detroit Shipping) failed to pay the full balance of the sale price in time and so the sale has been cancelled.  It seems that Le Rif has dodged the breakers yet again!

Regarding Ibn Batouta, I have heard that work has not even been started on her despite her sale being over 6 months ago.