Irish Ferries Fleet movements

Started by Collision-course, January 05, 2010, 02:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marthyrarth

Appalling that Oscar Wilde will not carry foot passengers.

Foot pax facilities Holyhead are a disgrace.  You proceed through security and see a sign saying foot passengers and Annwyl arrow leading to stairs to what was the  HSS terminal - so onviously I follow the sign to be shouted at "that's not the way". 

Well why not take down the sign then??!!!!!

Then lead to a cold shed with white walls and dirty chairs.  Prison waiting rooms are nicer.  Quite simply not good enough.

A83

Yes, I have to agree. While the Irish Ferries terminal in Dublin port is quite ok, the arrangements in Holyhead are not up to par. Then again when I think of it Rosslare could be improved upon also. I sense that the coming of the budget airlines put a stop to any development of passenger facilities on the Irish sea, one of the consequences is that poor facilities do not help marketing the Sail Rail options, which when you consider the prices are generally pretty good.

20knots

Quote from: marthyrarth on November 26, 2017, 01:10:26 PM
  You proceed through security and see a sign saying foot passengers and Annwyl arrow leading to stairs to what was the  HSS terminal - so onviously I follow the sign to be shouted at "that's not the way". 

Then lead to a cold shed with white walls and dirty chairs.  Prison waiting rooms are nicer.  Quite simply not good enough.

Unless something has changed since I last passed through Holyhead in the Summer the HSS lounge upstairs is still in use.

Irish Ferries passengers always use the white room downstairs whereas the norm for Stena Line passengers is to head upstairs to wait and to be called to return downstairs (far side of lounge) when the shuttle bus is ready for boarding.

Sometimes (e.g. early hours when both companies are sailing close together) I've been asked after passing security whether I'm for Irish Ferries or Stena Line and directed accordingly.

Irish Ferries do have a building close to the berth which has a comfortable lounge and which I remember using a few years ago as a foot passenger but it seems it is rarely used these days for foot passengers anyway.

ferryfan

Quote from: 20knots on November 26, 2017, 11:46:03 PM
Quote from: marthyrarth on November 26, 2017, 01:10:26 PM
  You proceed through security and see a sign saying foot passengers and Annwyl arrow leading to stairs to what was the  HSS terminal - so onviously I follow the sign to be shouted at "that's not the way". 

Unless something has changed since I last passed through Holyhead in the Summer the HSS lounge upstairs is still in use.

Irish Ferries passengers always use the white room downstairs whereas the norm for Stena Line passengers is to head upstairs to wait and to be called to return downstairs (far side of lounge) when the shuttle bus is ready for boarding.

Sometimes (e.g. early hours when both companies are sailing close together) I've been asked after passing security whether I'm for Irish Ferries or Stena Line and directed accordingly.

Irish Ferries do have a building close to the berth which has a comfortable lounge and which I remember using a few years ago as a foot passenger but it seems it is rarely used these days for foot passengers anyway.

Unfortunately the passenger gangway at the IF berth is no longer in use, it is falling apart there are sheets of metal missing from it and the stairway up to it has been removed.

marthyrarth

I've never seen the upstairs room used since the demise of the HSS, but I suppose it could when busy.

When I went for a daytrip last week the awful downstairs lounge was quite busy with a full bus of foot pax - lot on the £5.50 return I am guessing.

At least Stena do give this option, Irish Ferries offer nothing in terms of a day return.

ferryfan

Swift gone technical sailings cancelled for the next few day. She was running on 3 engines last week so maybe that's the issue.

marthyrarth

Swift's problems are not very clearly indicated on their website

ferryfan

Swift expected back in service on Tuesday.

ferryfan

Swift's return has been delayed not due back in service until Saturday.

Steven

Irish Continental Group plc : Irish Continental Group plc invests €165.2 million to build a new cruise ferry for Dublin - Holyhead route

Released : 02 Jan 2018 07:00

Company Announcement

Irish Continental Group plc invests €165.2 million to build a new cruise ferry for Dublin - Holyhead route

Irish Continental Group plc ("ICG") has entered into an agreement, with the German company Flensburger Schiffbau-Gesselschaft & Co.KG ("FSG"), whereby FSG has agreed to build a cruise ferry for ICG at a contract price of €165.2 million.  Upon completion, it will be the largest cruise ferry in the world in terms of vehicle capacity.

The cruise ferry will accommodate 1,800 passengers and crew, with capacity for 5,610 freight lane metres, which provides the capability to carry 330 freight units per sailing.  Overall, it will effectively be a 50% increase in peak freight capacity compared to the MV Ulysses.

The Agreement between ICG and FSG provides that the cruise ferry is scheduled for delivery before Mid-2020. Twenty percent of the contract price will be paid in instalments during the construction period. The balance of 80% will be paid on delivery.  ICG intend to utilise credit facilities to finance the cruise ferry.  The pre-delivery instalment payments to FSG will be protected by means of bank guarantees.

This cruise ferry will be designed and built to the highest standards of cruise shipping, and equipped with efficiency, comfort and capacity in mind.  Emissions scrubber technology (included in the above price) and ballast water systems will meet current and known future environmental regulations and will deliver optimal fuel consumption while minimising related costs.  The cruise ferry will be powered by four main engines delivering 33,600 KW of power which will ensure a high degree of service reliability equal to the MV Ulysses which is currently the most reliable ship to ever operate on the Irish Sea.

The cruise ferry is being built specifically for Irish Ferries Dublin - Holyhead services.  It is expected to replace the schedule of the MV Ulysses, which in turn will replace the currently chartered vessel MV Epsilon in the fleet.  This will allow for the deployment of the W.B. Yeats (arriving Mid 2018) full-time on the direct Ireland - France route alongside the MV Oscar Wilde.  The cruise ferry will also adhere to Ice Class specification which allows for a wide geographic area of operation.

Freight capacity will be provided over five decks.  Uniquely, the vessel has been designed for three tier freight bow loading to allow for efficient loading/unloading and quick turnaround times.  Passenger facilities will be spread over three decks.  In addition to a superb choice of bars, restaurants (to include both á la carte and self-service options), special provision has been made for premium Club Class passengers, with a dedicated lounge featuring private access direct from the vehicle decks.  A choice of state-of -the-art entertainment options and cinemas, dedicated facilities for freight drivers, as well as many retail outlets will ensure that all passengers will be comfortable and engaged throughout their journey.

This new cruise ferry provides Irish Ferries with a significant increase in both its freight & tourism carrying capacity on the fast-growing Dublin - Holyhead route.

Cruise Ferry Particulars

Cruise Ferry Details Ulysses
Gross tonnage (estimated) 67,300t 50,938t
Deck capacity
Trucks (maximum)
Trucks (effective peak capacity)
or
Cars (maximum) 

Passenger Capacity 1,800 1,850
Passenger Cabins 152 96
Engine/output (4 engines) 33,600 KW 31,200 KW
Speed 22.8 knots 22.0 knots
Referring to the announcement Eamonn Rothwell, Chief Executive Officer, commented that;

"This investment underpins the confidence the Group has in the markets in which we operate. Alongside the recent investment in the MV W.B. Yeats, it brings our total investment to €315m for these two vessels designed for our operations on the Irish Sea.  The construction of a cruise ferry of this size will offer both additional capacity and an enhanced experience for both our tourism and freight customers.  This infrastructural investment enhances "the bridge" to the UK & Continental Europe that is a vital part of the continued success of Ireland's open economy."

02 January 2018

END

http://otp.investis.com/clients/uk/icg1/rns/regulatory-story.aspx?cid=500&newsid=962216
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

giftgrub

Irish Ferries regrets to advise that due to adverse weather conditions on the Irish Sea, the 20:55hrs Ulysses sailing is cancelled.

https://www.irishferries.com/ie-en/sailing-updates/dublin-holyhead/

Don't see that very often

conor

Can anyone explain why epsilon is not sailing at the moment? Thanks

jgf

Quote from: conor on January 06, 2018, 08:29:39 PM

I don't the exact reason but the last couple of years it has been parked up most of the time over Christmas/New Year. it did 1 or 2 freight clearing sailings 1 year I remember. She returns to schedule on Tuesday 01.55 ex Dublin.

Inishmore returns from Birkenhead dry dock on 18/01/18 with 20.45 ex Rosslare.

conor

Quote from: jgf on January 06, 2018, 09:52:52 PM
Quote from: conor on January 06, 2018, 08:29:39 PM

I don't the exact reason but the last couple of years it has been parked up most of the time over Christmas/New Year. it did 1 or 2 freight clearing sailings 1 year I remember. She returns to schedule on Tuesday 01.55 ex Dublin.

Inishmore returns from Birkenhead dry dock on 18/01/18 with 20.45 ex Rosslare.

Ok thanks for your reply.

Fast Ferry Fan

Quote from: giftgrub on January 02, 2018, 11:04:59 PM
Irish Ferries regrets to advise that due to adverse weather conditions on the Irish Sea, the 20:55hrs Ulysses sailing is cancelled.

https://www.irishferries.com/ie-en/sailing-updates/dublin-holyhead/

Don't see that very often

Not often, but not the first time this year.

No more claims of it "never having lost a sailing due to weather" anymore.