Stena Line fleet movements

Started by Collision-course, October 12, 2008, 04:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Niall

Collision-course

There are no plans to replace Stena Europe at this time.

larry

its always one of those things that are discussed in the pubs here when the stena line guys are in

SEA

Good Morning
I am a regular reader of the Forum and have very much so enjoyed reading.
Does anyone know what happened the Stena Adventurer as it appears she never made it into Holyhead and is still outside ??
this was at 7 am this morning  sorry don't know how to place the screen shot

loughro

The Stena Adventurer couldn't dock last night due to the high winds in Holyhead, she was going to try again at 0630 and I believe she was successful around this time. From speaking with Captains of the Adventurer previously they have highlighted the fact that the Adventurer can struggle to berth in high winds as she does not have a stern thruster unit.

bfm003

I heard last week that the Adventurer was down to three engines so if that's still the case she will have problems berthing in high winds.

SEA

Thanks very much for the info. Obviously Irish Ferries Ulysses has Stern Thrusters as she seems to be on time and  was not affected by the High winds last night

bfm003

QuoteThanks very much for the info. Obviously Irish Ferries Ulysses has Stern Thrusters as she seems to be on time and  was not affected by the High winds last night

Ulysses has three bow thrusters, one stern thruster and becker rudders, she was built for maneuvering.

pjamieson267

When's the refit of Stena Lagan and Stena Mersey will be?

giftgrub

Once the Stena Superfasts are finished refit at the end of February, next up the Stena Adventurer to refit at Harland and Wolff 3-19 March mostly routine work, no major upgrades planned.

On the Dublin - Holyhead route the Finnarrow is expected to maintain Nordica schedule while Nordica adopts Adventurer's timings. The HSS will not be activated to provide cover. The Stena Nordica is not scheduled to dry dock this year.

As for the Belfast - Birkenhead twins the Stena Lagan and Mersey won't be dry docked this year. Refurb work to complete the upgrade of their accommodation should be completed in the next 3 weeks. This includes the mid lounge where a new living room, barista coffee shop and play area are being provided. Cabins are all being upgraded and consist of standard and comfort class versions.

pjamieson267

So Stena Lagan and Stena Mersey won't be dry docking this year? :-X

FerryMan

Stena Adventurer needs to go to dry dock ASAP she is from what I hear limping around with an engine down for the last  few weeks. She was unable to dock in Holyhead last night until after 9am this morning, even the delayed 02.30 ex Dublin Finnarrow sailing was able to dock in Holyhead before the Stena Adventurer this morning.  She has been standing down allowing Ulysses to dock before her in heavy weather in Dublin while she has been getting assistance from a tug to dock.
We will see if she will be heading to dry dock before March.
Ferry Master

bfm003

Quotenext up the Stena Adventurer to refit at Harland and Wolff 3-19 March mostly routine work, no major upgrades planned.

I heard the Stena Adventurer was going to Falmouth and that they were spending a lot of money on passenger areas.

bfm003

QuoteStena Adventurer needs to go to dry dock ASAP she is from what I hear limping around with an engine down for the last  few weeks.
We will see if she will be heading to dry dock before March.

Being an engine down doesn't necessarily mean a visit to drydock. They may well be in the process of carrying out repairs on the run.
Does anyone know what the problem is?

giftgrub

The Stena Adventurer will be drydocked in Harland and Wolff Belfast and will not go in until the Superfasts have been finished, but they could send it to Belfast next week if they wanted to delay the Supefast VII overhaul if the technical issue is serious.

The major interior upgrade that the ship is due to get will most likely be carried out while the vessel is in service as it is quite easy to section of the areas required due to the vast amount of passenger space available.

The Stena Adventurer has four main engines so unless there has been a catastrophic technical failure it should be able to survive running on three engines. (the Stena Europe did this for nearly a year). Unless the actual engine is damaged most repairs can be carried out while in service.

More information on the Adveturer and some nice images here:

http://www.sealink-holyhead.com/stena/ships/adventurer_ii/home.html