P&O Fleet Movements

Started by Collision-course, February 10, 2011, 03:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TC

Quote from: Steven on November 18, 2016, 04:24:59 PM
European Endeavour has been using Birkenhead 12 quays for the past few days, I believe due to problems with the lock gates at Liverpool.

Any photos?

Steven

For those of you on Facebook, some pics of the work being done to the passenger spaces of PoY

https://www.facebook.com/AecorMarine/photos/pcb.1296934420371900/1296931543705521/?type=3&theater
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

TC

Very comprehensive interior work.

Pride of Hull has emerged with the new livery, full repaint, looking as a good as when she left Fincantieri. Spirit of France has also had a full repaint, looking also very smart.

PaddyL

Quote from: TC on January 26, 2017, 08:40:40 PM
Very comprehensive interior work.

To be fair from what we have seen it's only very comprehensive interior work of two fairly small passenger areas of the ship. I heard that quite a lot is being done in cabin areas and not much else.

TC

The Bruges and York were in good condition prior to refit. Their very different to the Dover ships. Maintenance, cleaning, food / catering are all to a higher standard. They probably don't need fully gutting, the corridors and general areas - Coffee Shop etc all looked tidy, cleaner than several ships on the Irish Sea. I'm surprised they refitted 'The Brasserie' (Formerly Langan's Brasserie) - from photos I had seen it looked in better condition than other vessels in the fleet!

I think given the Bruges / York have reached the 30 year mark, it's a significant amount of investment. I understand she is receiving a lot of mechanical and exterior overhaul work.

hhvferry

Quote from: TC on January 27, 2017, 01:33:24 PM
The Bruges and York were in good condition prior to refit. Their very different to the Dover ships. Maintenance, cleaning, food / catering are all to a higher standard.
When was the last time you sailed on either of the ships? I absolutely love these two but few would consider them to be in particularly good condition, especially the York.  The food in the buffet is also pretty grim a lot of the time.

Although I doubt the food will improve much hopefully P&O's refit budget will stretch to making them at least feel looked after rather than the down-at-heel afterthoughts they had been allowed to become.

Steven

Quote from: TC on January 27, 2017, 01:33:24 PM
The Bruges and York were in good condition prior to refit. Their very different to the Dover ships. Maintenance, cleaning, food / catering are all to a higher standard.
To be fair, I have been reading and hearing exactly the opposite. 

TC

It's been a good while since I have been on either the York or Bruges, but from what recent videos I have seen, they look pretty decent. The interior is a little dated, but I have found them to be clean and generally tidy, better than quite a few vessels on the Irish Sea and at Dover. The crew, particularly on Pride of Bruges are pretty meticulous.

From an exterior perspective I have noticed, a good deal of rust-streaking, notably on Pride of York, but this does occur. Stena Europe regularly receives repaints, but this still happens.

Regarding the refits, I don't think we will be seeing anything near as radical as Stena's conversion of Seafrance Manet (Stena Navigator), but for P&O, who I agree in recent years have been minimizing vessel maintenance, particularly in the field of interior styling, this is a nice investment. For P&O, I would consider this a big investment!

giftgrub

Pride of York looks very tired arriving in Gdansk.

They will have their work cut out during this refit.

https://www.facebook.com/jakub.bogucki/posts/1612324705461063?pnref=story

Steven

According to the downloadable timetable on the P&O website, there will be dry dock period on the Cairnryan service between the 4th of May and 8th of June.  HOWEVER, there appears to be no third passenger vessel on Liverpool to Dublin from 26th March until 5th of June.  IIRC everyones favourite car carrier Neptune Aegli finishes at Hull around the last week of March - could she be on her way back to Dublin?

http://www.poferries.com/medias/sys_master/h4a/h6a/9131288657950.pdf

Steven

Quote from: Steven on February 02, 2017, 05:13:09 AM
According to the downloadable timetable on the P&O website, there will be dry dock period on the Cairnryan service between the 4th of May and 8th of June.  HOWEVER, there appears to be no third passenger vessel on Liverpool to Dublin from 26th March until 5th of June.  IIRC everyones favourite car carrier Neptune Aegli finishes at Hull around the last week of March - could she be on her way back to Dublin?

http://www.poferries.com/medias/sys_master/h4a/h6a/9131288657950.pdf
Of course, if you actually try to make a booking the dates are a little different with Cairnryan back to normal a few days earlier  Good long dry docking period regardless - it's just a shame passengers appear to be getting slightly conflicting information (though at least the downloadable timetable is overstating the length of the DD period rather than cutting it short).

giftgrub

Pride of York in Gdansk refit started, not gone to dry dock yet.

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16508290_1619852568041610_2411554571933301329_n.jpg?oh=fa76cf03a30b63551566fe0b48975db9&oe=590079DC

Moored alongside former Val de Loire

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16427756_1619852668041600_3644826827393291561_n.jpg?oh=41c6460168387ea4221a8edd911a96cf&oe=59407C61

Posted onto the Facebook by

https://www.facebook.com/jakub.bogucki?pnref=story

Quite a few ferries in Gdansk at the moment

Pride of Canterbury
Stena Vision
Sassinitz
Mecklenburg vorpommern - extended refit due to issue with train deck

King Seaways just left on Feb 1st, Bretangne left at the weekend.

Steven

Pride of York looks like she has started to lose paint already!!!!  Pride of Bruges left Gdansk earlier following her own refit, bound for Zeebrugge.  Irish Sea refits next - timetable says 26th March to 29th April for Dublin service, and 28th April - 2nd June for Cairnryan.  I assume Neptune Aegli is the ship covering Dublin.  But heres the real shocker, according to the booking engine the vessel covering Cairnryan is none other than EUROPEAN SEAWAY!!!!!!  That could be interesting (if the booking engine hasn't gone nuts) given she is 10m longer than any berth at Larne can supposedly manage, meaning she'd be the longest ferry to serve the port!!!!

TC

It's not a good sign if Pride of York is losing paint. DFDS have this problem frequently. I'm not knocking the yard, it's just given the freezing cold conditions, I imagine, paint isn't drying properly. Calais Seaways suffered paint failure the same week back in operation, after a refit, I believe by the same yard. P&O generally don't have problems with paint failure, perhaps a little around the bow doors, but this is over the course of several months. Take Pride of Bilbao, went through very strong swells and never suffered from chunks of the paint failing. Note Pride of Bilbao received refits at Falmouth. Likewise, Stena Mersey and Lagan, which are usually refitted in H&W, never loose paint, certainly not in the first week.

I do wonder, given the lower labour costs - similar to Poland, how viable it would be getting a Spanish yard to undertake refits / repaints. European Endeavour on her delivery to P&O back in 07' was repainted and refitted by a Spanish yard. A little disappointing to hear about the paint probs. Pride of York has never suffered from them before.

Re European Seaway - Wow, that is a real turn up for the books! I always wondered about the visibility of running Seaway, Burgundy, or the aging Kent / Canterbury on the North Channel. Not sure about a long term option, as you said previously Steven the vehicle deck height may be a problem. But given Seaway's age, she would be better suited to a less demanding route, rather than the very hectic Dover - Calais operation. Not sure what could be done re deck height - could the main vehicle deck not take the taller trailers?

Remontowa have posted some videos - Pretty nice looking. The work does look thorough - not a flick of paintbrush.

Pride of Canterbury - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53DsT4ML1C8
Pride of York - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epre3GxVvI8

Steven

Quote from: TC on March 19, 2017, 12:58:26 PM
It's not a good sign if Pride of York is losing paint. DFDS have this problem frequently. I'm not knocking the yard, it's just given the freezing cold conditions, I imagine, paint isn't drying properly. Calais Seaways suffered paint failure the same week back in operation, after a refit, I believe by the same yard. P&O generally don't have problems with paint failure, perhaps a little around the bow doors, but this is over the course of several months. Take Pride of Bilbao, went through very strong swells and never suffered from chunks of the paint failing. Note Pride of Bilbao received refits at Falmouth. Likewise, Stena Mersey and Lagan, which are usually refitted in H&W, never loose paint, certainly not in the first week.

I do wonder, given the lower labour costs - similar to Poland, how viable it would be getting a Spanish yard to undertake refits / repaints. European Endeavour on her delivery to P&O back in 07' was repainted and refitted by a Spanish yard. A little disappointing to hear about the paint probs. Pride of York has never suffered from them before.

Re European Seaway - Wow, that is a real turn up for the books! I always wondered about the visibility of running Seaway, Burgundy, or the aging Kent / Canterbury on the North Channel. Not sure about a long term option, as you said previously Steven the vehicle deck height may be a problem. But given Seaway's age, she would be better suited to a less demanding route, rather than the very hectic Dover - Calais operation. Not sure what could be done re deck height - could the main vehicle deck not take the taller trailers?

Remontowa have posted some videos - Pretty nice looking. The work does look thorough - not a flick of paintbrush.

Pride of Canterbury - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53DsT4ML1C8
Pride of York - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epre3GxVvI8
To be fair a lot depends on what prep was done before applying the paint I imagine (and what was specified in the contract).  They've been painting ships for years over there, even in snow and ice without issue. 

Regarding Seaway, it is going to be very interesting to see how she manages.  I think Canterbury/Kent/Burgundy would still be very doubtful though if for no other reason than being quite slab sided.   She still has the original 2 x 1200kW thrusters as well, rather than the uprated units on her upgraded sisters, so she has similar thruster power to the smaller vessels she will be operating opposite.  If the wind catches Seaway we could have some unplanned renovations in Larne or Cairnryan!