Saint Patrick or St Killian

Started by Interrail, April 14, 2017, 07:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Interrail

I wonder of some of the forum can help.  I took an Interrail trip from Belfast to Greece in September 1981.  I travelled out of Rosslare to Le Havre on  Wednesday 2nd September.

I am trying to write the trip up, but would like it to be as accurate as possible. What I have seen online suggested to me that I might have travelled on the St Killian 1, but it looks big for what I remember and I wonder if it could have been the St Patrick 1.  I tried to contact Irish Ferries but they didn't bother replying. If you don't know then I guess nobody does.  I intend to repeat the journey, but the train times are not great and now the ship goes to Cherbourg.  Really sad to see how the railway station in Rosslare has declined.  Sad to hear that Irish Rail are thinking of closing it completely -Shame
Thanks a lot
Interrail

hhvferry

As you suggest it will have been the Saint Patrick (I) or the Saint Killian (pre-stretch) - the ships did interlinked itineraries so it may have been either. However ICL's brochures from this period were very specific about which ship was doing which sailings so if anyone has the 1981 brochure the answer should be in there - I have the '80, '82 and '83 ones but not, it seems, the one you need.

Both were Scandinavian in origin, one way or another, and from the same designers. The Patrick was like a dozen or more similar ships on board but the Killian and her sister were a bit more distinctive. If you had a cabin, and remember anything about it, it could be a decent clue as the cabin areas of the Killian were '70s to their core with large flowers printed onto the cabin bulkheads and flower imagery on the cabin doors.

Interrail

Thank you for the reply.  I'm afraid a cabin was beyond my means then  I remember we dossed down with our sleeping bags in one of the landings.