NEW IF Ship

Started by Meet the dockers, February 02, 2017, 10:38:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaddyL

The full 2018 French timetable looks like this

https://www.irishferries.com/globalassets/landingoffer-pages/france2018/franceschedule-2018-en.pdf

Perhaps Oscar Wilde's future will depend on summer bookings and if they are good she could see further/seasonal use?

ferryfan

I wonder will she (the Oscar Wilde) be chartered out over the winter? The last time they had 2 ships on the route the St Patrick 2 spent most winters on charter.

ferryfan

Confirmed Swift will not run after WB Yeats arrives on Dublin - Holyhead in September 2018.
1 November press release from Irish Ferries below:

Irish Ferries Launches 2018 Schedule, incorporating its amazing new Cruise Ferry W.B. Yeats
01 NOV 2017
Irish Ferries has unveiled its 2018 sailing schedule, incorporating the capacity offered by its €144 million cruise ferry W.B. Yeats.

The new ferry – currently being built in Germany – is expected to weigh in at 55,000 tonnes, making it the largest as well as the most luxurious ferry to operate on the Irish Sea.

W.B. Yeats will sail between Holyhead and Dublin from mid-September 2018, delivering additional capacity for 1,885 passengers and crew and 1,200 cars per crossing, onto the busiest ferry route between the UK and Ireland.

Fabulous facilities on the new ship will include a Club Class lounge with direct passenger access from the car decks, à la carte and self-service restaurants, a cinema, a shopping mall, a choice of bars and lounges and an outside promenade deck. There will also be 441 cabins, including luxury suites with their own private balconies.

Before going into service on the Holyhead to Dublin route, W.B. Yeats will add much-needed high season capacity between Ireland and France.

After her maiden voyage on 6 July 2018, the new ship will offer Irish holidaymakers a cruise style travel experience, sailing between Dublin and Cherbourg throughout the summer. When coupled with the existing vessel the Oscar Wilde, which currently serves the route, it will double the number of sailings between the two countries, with planned daily departures in alternate directions.

In another schedule change, the high-speed Dublin Swift catamaran, which crosses between Holyhead and Dublin in as little as one hour and 49 minutes, will provide a summer-only service in 2018.

For full schedule details visit the 'Routes and Times' section of www.irishferries.com

bissiere

where will go oscar wilde for winter 2018 2019? only dublin cherbourg with epsilon

Steven

Quote from: bissiere on November 02, 2017, 08:53:53 PM
where will go oscar wilde for winter 2018 2019? only dublin cherbourg with epsilon
Perhaps that could depend on what's she's doing from 2020!  If the extra sailings from Dublin - Cherbourg are popular it could see Oscars carryings reduce significantly as people switch to Dublin instead of Rosslare.  If the Yeats is a success I'd say it will only be a matter of time before the option of a second ship is exercised in any case, which would probably make Oscar redundant
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

wildmind

This means that there will be no foot passenger capacity on irish ferries between Ireland and france in the winter, which is a pity

A83

Although the question of foot passenger access is important I think that in a way the decision to run a truck ship over the shoulder and winter seasons goes beyond that and is a very strategic one. I suppose the main income over the period from October - March does derive from trucks but it seems a pity that the previous offering of a high quality cruise ferry [OW]  which could accommodate older people, school trips [in the Easter period] as well as trucks has been withdrawn.

I wonder will the Point Aven see an increase in bookings over the shoulder seasons?

Also does this question the commitment of IF to Rosslare?

IFPete

I see a problem in 2019 when WB Yeats goes back on Dublin - France Route if they dont have a ship with her capacity to replace her on Dublin - Holyhead.

I ultimately see Irish Ferries bringing IOI onto Holyhead - Dublin route and second hand tonnage being used to operate on Rosslare - Pembroke.

PaddyL

If a two-ship service is a success in summer 2018 surely we will see Oscar Wilde retained for 2019 seasonal service and overhaul cover unless they receive a stupidly good offer for her?

We simply don't know enough yet about their thinking.

IFPete

WB Yeats is now not scheduled to sail to France before 12 July 2018 according to Irish Ferries website.

Steven

Quote from: PaddyL on November 04, 2017, 10:53:37 PM
If a two-ship service is a success in summer 2018 surely we will see Oscar Wilde retained for 2019 seasonal service and overhaul cover unless they receive a stupidly good offer for her?

We simply don't know enough yet about their thinking.
Very true.  With tonnage in short supply these days perhaps such an offer may be forthcoming though.  In any case, I'm sure ICG have a plan.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

giftgrub

Just been watching the webcam, looks like one more deck and they will have to leave the building hall, from what I can see, crane cannot go much higher.

(Have not watched any other FSG build so no reference with regard to crane heights)

Will be interesting to see will the success of this build be the start of a few more orders going FSG's direction for passenger ferries, though surprised ICG did not take up option for a second vessel

Davy Jones

By my reckoning, they have probably completed the 5m high truck decks now. They might just squeeze in a passenger or car deck, but it will be tight. I'm sure we will soon find out.

Chef

How  many vehicle decks .Four by the look of it

ferryfan

Due to hit the water on 19th Jan 2018